Notary Rotary
Attaching Jurat
Notary Discussion History

Attaching Jurat
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Vic/CA on 1/7/11 2:08pm
Msg #367490

Attaching Jurat

When the loan docs are creating in another state, we have to draw a line through the state's name and write the correct state and countay of where we are physically signing. Should we also attach a loose Jurat.
Also, when the wording is slighted and I need to attach a Jurat to mortgage docs, do I staple the jurats together or just leave the loose one stacked behind the orginal jurat unattached.
I consider these docs a something you do not want to mess up, so I hate to staple a Jurat to one of their docs. Please advise.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/7/11 2:16pm
Msg #367491

The California Notary's will have to answer the Jurat question. However when I add an acknowledgement to a document (doesn't matter what it is) at the top add

Name Of Document Notorized_____________________________

That way you don't need to staple it to the document. I sometimes paper clip them.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/7/11 2:18pm
Msg #367492

That also keeps the title company or whomever from using your Jurat/Acknowledgement for something else. And I have the borrower initial the page so carry them with you to closings.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/7/11 2:25pm
Msg #367493

First off, I see if there is room to use my stamp with the California wording (you can buy it here). Most of the time, there is plenty of room. Then I don't have to attach a loose jurat.

If not, then I attach a jurat with a description of the document it goes with. But (gasp) yes, I use a stapler. Why? Early on, I had more that one loan that seemed not to get the jurat. Every person in an escrow office owns a stapler remover, so I figure they can use it. In one case, the escrow company faxed me back the document that I "forgot to add" the jurat to. I called them and asked them "gee, what are those 2 holes in the upper left hand corner?" "Oh, never mind, we found the jurat." Click!!!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/7/11 2:29pm
Msg #367494

I'm with Glenn... a jurat stamp is the way to go. It's so small that there is usually always room. I try to avoid attaching loose forms whenever possible. In a couple of cases now, I have actually handwritten the notary wording myself, which is perfectly acceptable. Time consuming, sure, but definitely better (in some cases) than attaching a loose sheet.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/7/11 2:34pm
Msg #367495

Writing it by hand is probably not any more time consuming than grabbing a jurat from your briefcase, filling it out, then attaching it. And that is preferable to worrying about a loose certificate getting lost.

Reply by Carol Graff on 1/8/11 6:35pm
Msg #367668

Do you also use an acknowledgement stamp rather than a loose cert?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/7/11 6:27pm
Msg #367518

In Or, we must ~attach~ a loose cert/jurat to the

doc. Therefore, I staple. But that's Oregon.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/7/11 9:17pm
Msg #367534

I do not know about CA but in NY many of the county's do not want anything stapled. so it is imperative to utilize a form that contains a description of the document. I usually alert the company and ask for permission to line through and correct then initial the changes. Usually that is all they want you to do. (at least in my experience) I always go through the documents prior to the appointment so I know what to expect and can head things off prior to showing up. Once in a while though a get a curve ball, when the docs are already there and I do not get a chance to preview.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/7/11 9:21pm
Msg #367535

The stamp idea is great. Thanks I will check it out. Based on my handwriting, there are not to many people can readily read it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.