Notary Rotary
CLosers who double book/backout
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by meganPA on 1/28/11 11:21am
Msg #370340

Four times this month, I have been called (usually at the last minute) to do a closing that, apparently, one of the other closers in my area has backed out on. Last night, the borrowers were so upset b/c they said she just never showed up or even called to say she wasn't coming the previous evening (after she had asked them to meet earlier with her and they had left work to do so). The two times before that it's been b/c her "car broke down." I know it's the same closer b/c I've seen this person's name left on the confirmation and the borrowers have told me her name. This has happened about 10 times during the past year and my associate has also experienced the same thing with this other closer. She also moves the borrowers' closing to a local Friendly's restaurant b/c I guess she doesn't want to go to their home! (This must be her M.O. b/c I've come across it several times.)

The best part is that in her profile she claims that she "cleans up other closer's mistakes" and that she is "more expensive" (so NOT true b/c I've seen her fee left on confirmations by mistake). Backing out of closings left and right, double booking? It does not get more unprofessional than that! As a professional who does this full time to make a living, I think it's horrible.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/28/11 11:37am
Msg #370341

I agree...and you'd think the hiring party would be

pretty fed up with this too...

Reply by James Dawson on 1/28/11 11:55am
Msg #370345

Re: I agree...and you'd think the hiring party would be

There's two people in this area doing that. Both are acting as a mini SS, farming out to unsuspecting newbies. Unfortunately they are able to do this because of the SS calling them in the first place. No one knows the scope of what's happening except those who hear the same name over and over again. when going out to clean up their mess. Several times this person has had the nerve to call me to do a signing (telling their car has broke down or they lost there stamp, emergency, etc) and just told them they were a crook.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/28/11 12:07pm
Msg #370346

On that note (SS hiring SS to hire SA)

I received a PM from someone that saw our last discussion (LSI using ND). She stated that LSI will check the NotRot board for complaints and if they can confirm payment issues or other problems they will stop using the other SS companies. She stated that the person that she spoke with had recently cut off one SS because of the postings found here.

I am glad to hear that LSI will actually take action when it hears of issues. I wish they wouldn't use other SS companies in the first place, but am glad that they will not stand for notaries not being paid or being offered low ball fees for loans associated with them.

Just a suggestion, if anyone has issues with any SS company that LSI (or any other SS company) has hired to hire the SA they should post the issues so that they can "confirm" as well as call the original SS with the issues.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/28/11 11:54am
Msg #370344

I hope you get more $ to "clean up" her mess.

I agree, that is far from professional.

Reply by meganPA on 1/28/11 12:13pm
Msg #370347

Re: I hope you get more $ to "clean up" her mess.

Yes, I'm sure I do. Unfortunately that is probably the only reason why they call her first to begin with.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/28/11 12:21pm
Msg #370349

If so, then they get what they are paying for, don't they? n/m

Reply by Stoli on 1/28/11 12:29pm
Msg #370350

When posting the complaints, please link to SS for faster

reference.

We should make it as easy as possible for LSI (or any other title company) to verify our complaints. That is best accomplished by posting the complaints in one, central location for quick reference.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/28/11 3:46pm
Msg #370400

To be fair, many SAs who backout at the last minute do so because documents are not ready and they don't want to wait around all night. Sounds like that may not be the case here, but don't automatically label someone that gives back a signing a flake. They may just be a professional that refuses to be jerked around by a flaky SS, lender, or TC.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/28/11 5:59pm
Msg #370433

OP Scenarios are clear, nothing to do

with SC or TC,....

Reply by CF on 1/29/11 7:14am
Msg #370499

Sad but true: it sounds like she is still in business.....

we bust our a$$ all the time and would be "dropped" if this happened. It sounds like this person is working it good for themselves. That is really too bad. It makes you wonder about the companies that keep hiring her????

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/29/11 10:22am
Msg #370522

Re: SharonMN

To be fair, when docs are late or past the agreed cut off time, if the SA turns the signing back it should not, and certainly is not by me, considered to be a last minute "backout". I agree with you that we are not obligated to stick around waiting on docs and I refuse to be late to another appointment that had their docs on time because of another one that can't get their act together.

That does not seem to be the case in the OP, but it is a good reminder that not all appointments canceled by the SA is the SA's fault.

Reply by ML/PA on 1/29/11 3:13pm
Msg #370549

I know exactly who this person is. I wonder how the hiring companies would feel about the closing location being changed to accomodate the signing agent. Sometimes I don't like going into some of the houses but it's not my place to inconvenience the borrowers. As for not getting documents in time, if I have a busy schedule I always let the company know ahead of time when they will need to get them to me and they also know that if I don't get them in time it may result in me not doing it. They are always impressed that I care enough about the closing to keep them informed and it almost always results in me getting documents early. Then everyone is happy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.