Notary Rotary
Color Printer?
Notary Discussion History

Color Printer?
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by MarieG/CA on 1/19/11 4:34pm
Msg #369269

Color Printer?

I'm in the market for a new printer, I want to get a all-in-one so it includes fax, scan, copy etc. But since I'm new to the business, my question is: How important is color printing? Is there any work that I could possibly miss due to not having a color printer?

Thanks, I'd appreciate your respose.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/19/11 4:37pm
Msg #369270

Color printer not needed nor even recommended. Just be sure it's a laser printer (not inkjet).
Unless, of course, you have other needs/uses for a color printer. All loan docs are printed in B/W.

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/19/11 4:40pm
Msg #369271

HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer

Thank you Lee for your fast response. I'm looking into buying the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer.

Does anyone have any input on this printer?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/19/11 4:51pm
Msg #369274

Re: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer

You're aware this isn't color, right Marie? Also found this info:

Print Speed5: Black: Up to 26 ppm; First Page Out Black: As fast as 8.5 sec
Print Resolution: Up to 600 x 600 x 2 dpi; Technology Resolution: HP REt, HP FastRes
Scan Resolution: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi; Scan Type: Flatbed, ADF
Copy Resolution (Black Graphics): Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi; Max Copies: Up to 99 copies
Fax Resolution (Black): 203 x 196 dpi; Fax Speed Dialing, Max Numbers: 120 numbers
Standard Connectivity: 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port, 1 10/100 Ethernet network port
Duty Cycle (Monthly): Up to 8,000 pages
Duplex Print Options: Automatic (standard)

IMO kind of slow printing and the monthly duty cycle isn't all that high...but that's MHO...

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/19/11 4:58pm
Msg #369275

Re: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer

Thank you Linda, yes I'm aware is b/w only.

My original question was if I could get by without having a color printer or is it advisable/recommended to have color?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/19/11 5:02pm
Msg #369276

My apologies...not sure what I thought I read...:) n/m

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/19/11 5:53pm
Msg #369283

I have a color printer, fax, scan, copy it's a Brother mfc 6490cw, love it. For my signings I use a brother hl5340d, love that too.

Reply by GY_CT on 1/19/11 6:34pm
Msg #369287

Haven't ever needed color. I don't think you will, either (at least not for mortgage docs). You'd be much better off looking into a dual-tray feature. If you're set on a multi-function, inkjet that might not be readily available. The observation on the 8,000p duty cycle being low was a valid one. But 26ppm is not too slow, IMO.

I've been using a Lexmark 26ppm dual-tray laser for several years. It has a 30k page duty cycle. Refilling laser cartridges is much easier than refilling ink jets. I get 6,000+ pp from a $34 refill. Refills are available from vendors such as TonerRefillKits, Fill-Serve, et al, and their service has always been very prompt.

I use a separate scanner, which has done a heck a lot of work over many years. If you really insist on a multi-function, however, try to find one with a legal-size scanning bed. There are some out there.

These are just some things to consider. Hope they are of benefit.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/19/11 8:51pm
Msg #369299

Ink jet should not even be a consideration, as virtually all companies will expect laser jet quality. The process is different with ink vs. toner and the latter is more permanent. I believe that with the inkjet, the ink is applied onto the page, where the toner is infused into the page. (This may not be exact, but it's probably in the ballpark.) Besides, ink is way too expensive. You could probably go through a whole ink cartridge before you've printed two sets of docs!

Bottom line, laserjet is a MUST! Color is not. Speed and duty cycle are key factors and I agree that a dual tray is preferable.

Reply by cal2az on 1/19/11 7:35pm
Msg #369295

When I first started out, I found that I really needed a double tray laser printer, in order to print both; letter and legal, which most loan document packages come in. I have a color laser all-in-one for faxing, scanning, copying, etc.

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/20/11 12:40pm
Msg #369352

Thanks everyone, all your responses were very helpful.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.