Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 1/22/11 9:23am
Msg #369625

Consumer alert from WI SOS

The first sentence in the second paragraph caught my eye

http://www.sos.state.wi.us/alert.htm

Reply by PAW on 1/22/11 9:35am
Msg #369627

First sentence, 2nd paragraph reads, "Please be aware that a notary applicant does not need to "join" a notary association in order to become a notary public in Wisconsin."

I'm not sure why this statement raised a flag for you, Zana. Is there a company or companies out there saying (and advertising) that you have to join their organization to become a notary?

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/22/11 12:23pm
Msg #369640

Why, yes

http://www.nationalnotary.org/become/step_1.cfm?stateid=WI

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/22/11 1:09pm
Msg #369644

There is no opt out of the "free" membership as far as I can see

Reply by PAW on 1/22/11 1:24pm
Msg #369645

Even with my personal disdain for the NNA, their advertising does not say that membership in the NNA is **required** to become a notary in any state. Of course, if someone chooses to use the NNA as the stepping stone to getting commissioned, then it's their choice. IMO, this is no different than Huckleberry's or any other company's ads to become a notary.

Now, if the NNA said that 'in order to become a WI notary, membership in the NNA is required., then that's a horse of a different color.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/22/11 3:21pm
Msg #369652

No they don't say it is required. If you google on how to become a notary there are all kinds of so called offers to help. It was not that long ago that the NNA was actually listed in the brochure on the sos site for WI. Prior to 2010 in WI a test for knowledge of notary proceedures was not required.
I have to wonder what it was necessary for them to issue the alert and specifically mention associations.

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/22/11 12:11pm
Msg #369635

Nice "Don't over purchase" reminder ...

This is a nice reminder that an "all inclusive" new notary or renewal one-price package is not for everyone. For example, CT does not require a seal or stamp - I can go without or purchase one for less from another vendor. Also, someone doing the rare employer in-house notarization with two other co-workers who already have memberships in notary organizations, may not need to also purchase a membership; i.e., like my firm the "one" member is circulating their magazines, newsletters, and e-mails to fellow office notaries.

In short: Do not over buy for items that you don't need. Sorta like my mother who insists on buying any "buy one, get one free special," which, for example, includes tuna that she does NOT eat and then tries to pass off to the rest of the family. She only BUYS it because it is FREE. We'd rather she spent her money on something she eats rather than the "free" items she never eats.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.