Notary Rotary
Double booked agents
Notary Discussion History

Double booked agents
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 1/18/11 8:27pm
Msg #369145

Double booked agents

I showed up at borrowers house tonight. The borrower came to the door and yelled at me there was already another closer there.As I walked away she yelled and I better not get billed twice.

I was like what did I do?

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/18/11 9:09pm
Msg #369148

I recently arrived at a closing on time. As Im walking in the door the bo states that there will be another notary here any minute to close on another loan! Sure enough she was 2 mins behind me. The bo wanted us to do both closings at the same time..Umm No!

I offered the other notary to go first since she came from further away..she didnt reply so I said Ok I will go first..She had to wait 1 hr as this bo read everything! ugh!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/18/11 10:51pm
Msg #369151

I had one recently--4 SAs, 4 Different loans all in one appt

It went much better than expected. We were all in and out of there in about 20 minutes each. All four loans with the same bank, but four different title co's, hence four different closers. Crazy!

I've had the experience also of being double booked also. To my surprise, I have typically been paid, even if I wasn't the closer. (Full fee, too!)

Sadly, some companies send their jobs out to multiple agencies. Another reason to work direct for th TC whenever you can!

JW

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/18/11 11:23pm
Msg #369155

Re: I had one recently--4 SAs, 4 Different loans all in one appt

I don't understand this one. I really feel that we were both sent by same title company. And, docs are printed from a secure site. Which I need to put a password into. Tomorrow I may find out what happened.

Reply by Baragona/MO on 1/18/11 11:34pm
Msg #369156

Re: I had one recently--4 SAs, 4 Different loans all in one appt

Fortunately, I have been able to avoid this situation as I can usually tell from the intial call to the borrower. I have always been told during this call that another notary (or TC) has called them to confirm the appointment as they have multiple properties to close on. At that time, I will call the TC or SS and inform them of the situation and ask them to look into it so they can decide what is best for the borrower. Most of the time, I have lost the closing due to being the second (or third) SA called for the appointment. I am fine with that, though, as it created a better overall experience for the borrower rather than dealing with multiple people on the house going over pretty much the same paperwork!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/19/11 2:38am
Msg #369159

I've had similar experiences a number of times. The first time, the borrowers needed a Spanish speaking notary, so I'd traveled a good distance to get there. The other notary was already there. He was local and spoke Spanish, but he was either new to loan docs or knew nothing about them because I don't think I've ever seen anyone pack and leave so quickly! (He left his docs, too.)

Another time, I arrived first. The other notary was stuck in traffic and had just called to let the signer know, so when I showed up on time, she looked confused but didn't say anything. When the other notary finally arrived, we figured out what had happened and she graciously left me to do the assignment.

Then there's the one several months ago where I found out from the borrower - only when I called back to request a photocopy of his ID - and found out that he, too, had double-booked two signings for different properties - and two different title co's - for the same time. So I convinced him to have me come later to give the other notary time to take care of the first one. They hadn't finished when I got there, but I heard the BO asking lots of questions and reading... Oy vey! I could tell the other notary was not happy with the way the signing went and he left quickly without even looking in my direction. Then it was my turn...

At the end of a long signing during which the borrower again read and questioned almost everything, I asked for the check that was to go back with the docs. (I usually do that up front, but he wanted to see the docs first.) Fortunately, I looked at it carefully and figured out that he had switched checks and the one he was holding (both were for a goodly sum) was for the first property, with the first notary. By this time, it was late in the evening and he couldn't reach the other notary. (Took him forever to find where he'd written the number.) Bottom line to a much longer story, the other notary ended up having to come to my home the next morning to swap checks with me.

Most recently, I got a call from one client while I was on the road. She was just able to give me the city, didn't yet have the details, including the borrowers name. I was pleased because I already had a signing in the same city for that same day. Long story short, they were both for the exact same borrower, different properties! I guess that made up for the previous nightmare, 'cause this guy was great!

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/19/11 7:29am
Msg #369163

During the boom years: 2 loans, 2 lenders, 2 TCs, 2 sets of docs, same property, same borrower, same day/time. B signed 1, rejected the other. I was paid for both. Two years later--repeat performance. Two years later---I turned the assignment down.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/19/11 7:57am
Msg #369164

In my recent situation..I was told by the TC that there may be 2 loans. When docs arrived I noticed only 1 set of docs..Called TC back they told me that the other loan was cancelled. Now I know why!

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/19/11 9:48am
Msg #369187

What I found that happened was that I had called the borrower wanting to see them an hour later. I was told that they couldn't change the time. So I said ok I will still be there at the planned time. Borrower called loan officer and the loan officer asked title company to send someone else.So, they had canceled me but, still sent me the docs. I didn't know I had been canceled.

Now, they want me to send the unsigned docs back which they have never required me to do in the past when there was a no sign. They want prove that I printed.

Reply by upnorth/AK on 1/19/11 9:58am
Msg #369189

And who pays for shipping the docs back? n/m

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/19/11 1:29pm
Msg #369231

Re: And who pays for shipping the docs back?

She wanted to send me a shipping label. But, I shredded the docs already. They will probably give me a hard time about paying.

Reply by Cari on 1/19/11 2:45pm
Msg #369244

this is why i save all docs on my cloud drive, just in case. then i delete all after i get paid...

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/19/11 4:09pm
Msg #369264

I've found that occasionally a tc will want the unused docs returned to them, so I hold off shredding until I know for sure. Frankly, I'd rather return them (on their dime, of course) than have to take the time to shred.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.