Notary Rotary
Fax Machine
Notary Discussion History

Fax Machine
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Retsing on 1/1/11 2:49pm
Msg #366662

Fax Machine

Tomorrow I go shopping for a better fax machine. I have had alot of requests recently for fax backs. So, I thought I would ask the pro(s) for recommendations.
Happy New Year and Much Success to all in 2011!

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/1/11 2:56pm
Msg #366664

Many years ago I bought a laser Brother two drawer (why two drawer who knows) but I would recommend one that scans fast I think my Brother scans about 30 pages per minute. That way if I'm in a hurray the fax doesn't hold me up. Would I buy a Brother again sure it's been a work horse.

Reply by Retsing on 1/1/11 3:06pm
Msg #366666

Ilene,
Any chance you know the model number. Even if they don't make that model, might refer me to a replacement. So you scan more than you fax?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/1/11 4:17pm
Msg #366670

Sorry I wasn't clear. The Brother is a Fax machine. It is not a scanner. It has memory and will scann the pages fast while dialing the number. If the line is open it will start faxing immediately however if the phone number is busy the docs are scanned in the machine and will continually call the number til it's clear then send. It's pretty old so I don't think it will help you, just go on line and look at the specs, look for a fax machine that will scan about 30pp per min. Then go to Amazon.com and price it there you'll probably get a better deal.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/1/11 4:24pm
Msg #366671

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-IntelliFax-4100E-Speed-Business-Class-Laser/dp/B000GLOI88/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1293920517&sr=1-2

This is what I have but the older version, honestly you buy what you can afford and it also depends on how much room you have in your office. I don't believe in all in ones i.e. scanner,copier,fax cause if one breaks down they all go. Good luck

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/1/11 4:36pm
Msg #366674

I have the Brother MFC 8460N

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC8460N

The auto-feeder holds 50 pages - I've never had a need for more than that.

Also makes a great backup laser printer...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/1/11 4:37pm
Msg #366675

Re: I have the Brother MFC 8460N...sorry about that

I see it's been discontinued - maybe you can find its successor or find one on e-bay for a song!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/1/11 10:50pm
Msg #366700

I haven't researched this yet so I don't know what's currently on the market or how feasible this is, but my initial gut reaction would be to recommend something that is an effective scanner, as well (or instead?). The trend seems to be towards more scanning and less faxing. I think that's probably the next thing I will be looking for in that category when the time comes - specifically something with a sheet feeder that will be able to easily scan and store lots of pages at once, so "fax-backs" etc., can be sent via email. jmho

Reply by jba/fl on 1/2/11 4:08am
Msg #366710

I'm with Janet on this one. More and more we (the nation) are becoming wireless and many are giving up their land lines. I truly believe that faxing is on its way out of existence. Scanning and emailing is much easier and faster. I haven't faxed in almost 2 years, except purchases, and those have been in RE offices so that equipments has been used. Even so, RE offices are scanning, emailing too.

Then again, I have been known to be wrong. JMO

Reply by Retsing on 1/3/11 4:51pm
Msg #366881

I went to Best Buy and Hhgreg to look at faxes/scanners.
Limited number to see. Neither salesperson could tell me if I could load the pages in the hopper and feed for scanning. They thought I had to scan one page at a time.
Any ideas on that? I want to look at the item and then I was going to shop on amazon, etc for a better price.
Guess I need to go to a better computer store for a better selection to review.

Reply by Retsing on 1/2/11 10:50am
Msg #366723

Thank you all for your input!
Onto research!

Reply by Les_CO on 1/2/11 1:13pm
Msg #366740

I’ve had a HP 3015 that I’ve used for years. I use a separate fax land line. I must say that today I rarely use it. Now I mostly scan and email.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/2/11 1:18pm
Msg #366743

I need to figure out how to scan so I can

scan and e-mail on my Brother - last time I tried..well, I still haven't found the file...Frown

Reply by jba/fl on 1/2/11 7:54pm
Msg #366779

Re: I need to figure out how to scan so I can

Linda - did you find my lost one? I'll keep an eye out for yours - ROFL!

Reply by laurielnc on 1/2/11 9:12pm
Msg #366786

Re: I need to figure out how to scan so I can

Just got rid of At&t for magic jack and use that rarely. I'm asking title co. that wants fax back or confirmation faxed back if I can scan and email. At first I thought I would have a problem but have gotten replies like they prefer that and put Smile after reply. Scanning is so much better because I still have file if they don't receive or lose my email. I can still drop docs. When I had to fax I sometimes would make a copy of faxed docs (if only a couple) which is a pain and then shred just so I could drop docs. Scanning is the way to go!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.