Notary Rotary
Fax backs, is anyone charging more?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by FeliseSoCal on 1/25/11 1:15pm
Msg #370022

I keep getting assignments, especially from ServiceLink, that are asking for a huge list of fax backs. I don't know until I've already accepted the assignment that and received the docs that they are required. They are saying they will not pay more for this.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 1/25/11 1:29pm
Msg #370028

Have you been working for them a while? When I first began doing signings for them, I always had to fax back 20-30 pages. I half jokingly asked a scheduler once how many signings I needed to do for them to be taken off the "fax back list". Their orders no longer included any fax backs after that day unless there is no recission period.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/25/11 1:30pm
Msg #370029

The BofA faxbacks with ServiceLink are ridiculous. Last week I had to fax half a package back. At least I have a sheetfed scanner that handles it for me easily.

The others aren't so bad... some don't have any at all except for their one page confirmation. However, what I've found with SL is that I have given them an overall higher fee to cover these kinds of things. They never have an issue with the fee. If they are calling me, I know that they will pay my fee, no questions asked.

The trick is to give them a base fee that will cover all of the extras. They will pay if they have to -- unless you have a lot of competition in your area. SL does call a few others in my area, but they take lower fees for in-town calls. I'm willing to travel distances... so I tend to get those calls a lot. I don't mind it because they come up with the cash. SL has a couple of annoying quirks (like their monthly invoice rules), but they always pay as agreed and on time. Plus, a lot of the time, they schedule me days in advance.

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/25/11 1:50pm
Msg #370036

All inclusive fee ...

Mind you, everyone has a Personal business plan and model.
My quoted fee is "all inclusive," whether it's no fax backs, 2 pages or 100 pages (Yep - had the WHOLE package ASAP fax back request, including the title instruction pages).

Result:
Some companies won't pay me quoted fee and move on to a less expensive person.
At the end of the day, the "no fax" and the "40-100 page fax" costs even out.
Win some. Lose some.

FeliseSoCal: Even though they won't pay you more, as long as you are getting regular business from them and making a decent net profit margin, even with fax backs, then be glad for ServiceLink's business. Calculate out if the "closer less mileage" profit margin makes up for the extra faxing time and expense. Ask yourself, am I turning away less-labor-intensive assignments (losing work) because I am tied to the fax machine?

Reply by MW/VA on 1/25/11 3:01pm
Msg #370041

My new policy on faxbacks is simple. Unless they are

willing to pay a faxback fee, I'm not willing to faxback. I recently had to eat a faxback fee from a regular customer of mine. There were faxbacks for funding and I know I spoke with someone about an extra fee. I never got a revised confirmation, so I ended up eating it. That's when my new policy went into effect. No more "surprise" faxback issues for me. I don't have the time for those games. Smile

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 1/25/11 4:23pm
Msg #370051

Wow, interesting. Some mixed reviews. Thanks for all of the valuable input!

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/25/11 6:05pm
Msg #370063

Yes I charge for fax backs. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned before that this company doesn't pay for "fax backs" but will increase fees for "time" or something like that. Word choice can be the difference between getting paid for services or not with some companies.

If a company requires fax backs it takes additional time and my time, just like theirs, is not free. Nothing personal, just business.

Reply by Jack/AL on 1/25/11 8:30pm
Msg #370079

I don't charge for 5 to 15 pages or so, but just today I've declined to do signings for Global Notary and Nations direct. Told them I don't have the patience or time for all the hand holding, calling at the appointment, calling immediately after the appointment, sending a long fax followed by getting online to confirm completion, and sometimes followed by an email to confirm completion. One of them recently sent a 147 page package, with no mention of fax, but the instrctuions with the pckage said to fax the entire 147 pages. Was followed by another a week later, with only 93 pages, all to be faxed. The last one took longer to load and send fax than to travel to the signing, complete, and return to my office.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/25/11 9:14pm
Msg #370094

What did you charge them for entire pkg fax backs? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.