Notary Rotary
I have had something passing strange happen to me
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/26/11 10:28am
Msg #370144

I hope I'm not showing how hopelessly outdated I am, but this has me really befuddled.

For a calendar, I use Outlook. This morning I opened up my calendar, and there was an unfamiliar entry about a closing I have scheduled this P.M. I know I did not put it there; the format and the wording are not something I would ever use. The entry obviously originated with the title company; it simply could not have come from anywhere else. It read: "Closing XXXXXXX (Borrowers home with notary Hugh Nations)."

How could an outside party access <my> computer to put something on my calendar?

I'm spooked.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/26/11 10:39am
Msg #370148

I had a client that used that set-up

When they'd send me an e-mail, it would automatically put the closing into my calendar just like that. If I couldn't accept the appt, I would have to remember to go into my Outlook and remove the entry. It was a local TC, so not likely your same client - but at least you know you're not alone in the Universe on this.

As for HOW they did that - no clue. Stay tuned for Paul. =)

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/26/11 10:45am
Msg #370151

Re: I had a client that used that set-up

Hasn't happened to me yet, but the technology is there for this. My daughter's school automatically puts any appointments she has with parents into her calendar. She is a special ed teacher, so meets regularly with parents. It def has its pros and cons. She was pretty much told this is how it will be, like it or not.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/26/11 12:23pm
Msg #370161

The ability to do it is there...I just checked my options and this is what's availiable

The ability to do so is there..I just check my yahoo mail options and this is what's aval

Sharing
Set up access to your calendar for your friends and coworkers.

Import/Export
Transfer your calendar data to and from Palm and Outlook.

Erase Your Calendar
Delete all events and tasks from your calendar. Use with care.

Group Calendar
Set up a group calendar in Yahoo! Groups.

I'm there are variations since I use Mozilla and yahoo.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/26/11 12:25pm
Msg #370162

sorry for the obvious errors n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/26/11 2:25pm
Msg #370178

You mean someone can set up a date with a Red head instead

of the Platinum Blond for Hugh?

On a serious side, James, are you saying that this is set as a default or that someone has to change it to allow others to use yahoo to do this? I use gmail and haven't had this (and don't want it either).

Reply by James Dawson on 1/26/11 2:41pm
Msg #370180

Re: You mean someone can set up a date with a Red head instead

yes that's what it shows on mine,..I have never/won't use it.

Reply by jnew on 1/26/11 1:35pm
Msg #370169

I used outlook at my last job and I could change the permissions in the calendar to share with designated person(s) but I had to place their info into the calendar "permissions" section to share. The only other time I permitted a share was on an email meeting request, where I shared the calendar with the party emailing me without going through the permissions screen. Radio button labeled "share calendar" which automatically puts appointment into calendar. I have never heard of anyone being able to place an appointment into a calendar without the owner's permission. I don't use Outlook anymore, so the information is anecdotal from my increasingly limited memory.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 1/26/11 2:41pm
Msg #370179

I have one regular client does this all the time, and I don't recall ever having to specifically "share" my calendar with them. They send an Outlook invite as an email, and when I open it, it automatically goes on my calendar. If I respond with a "do not accept", it goes away (actually - it ends up in my deleted file, but it's done automatically by Outlook.) I actually kind of like it. Also, my husband and I share some calendar dates by sending them directly via Outlook as an"ics" attachment. Again, don't know that we ever had to set it up as a share. I open the attachment, hit "save" and boom - it's on my calendar exactly as he entered it.

Reply by CH2inCA on 1/26/11 2:49pm
Msg #370184

I work at a large school distrct, when I schedule meetings or tasks, all I have to do is put it in my calendar (Outlook) and send out the meeing invitation to the participants, it will place it in the participants outlook calendar when they open the email.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/26/11 2:57pm
Msg #370185

This is Outlook's default behavior

If someone sends you an emailed request for an appointment, Outlook automatically puts it on your calendar. If you decline the request, it's erased. It sounds like what happened is that the TC emailed you a confirmation in the form of an Outlook appointment request (probably not even knowing that you use Outlook; it just may be the way they do things).

You do not have to give them access to your calendar for this to happen, it just does. I'm not sure if you can turn this behavior off.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/26/11 3:34pm
Msg #370191

When you set up in outlook, you can "send" the appointment o

on to another person's calendar. Honestly, I wish more companies would do this, as I prefer to schedule this way.

one note, if you have your outlook set to approve incoming messages like this, you might check (depending on your server settings) to see if it also publishes meetings. I used to work in a corporation that scheduled everything this way (inside and outside of the company).

Sometimes the appointment sender can see the appointment receiver's availability and appointments. If your privacy settings show your calendar, be sure to mark personal appointments personal, so they don't publish outside your computer. There was nothing like trying to schedule a board meeting and seeing one of the directors' calendars had an appointment like "Proctology clinic--Milwaukee General-Bring insurance card." (egads!)

To check your settings, open Microsoft Outlook's calendar tab, and then privacy settings below. This has changed a lot in the past few iterations of Outlook, so it totally depends on which one you're using. If you need help with this, PM me and I'll research and send the instructions.

Regards,
Jessica

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/27/11 1:19am
Msg #370222

Great class, Jessica. Thank you. Love our teachers. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.