Notary Rotary
I just got debited...
Notary Discussion History

I just got debited...
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/2/11 5:36pm
Msg #366765

I just got debited...

for something from a company called "ascentive.com software. I haven't purchased any software from such a company. Has anyone else encountered a similar ripoff?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/2/11 5:47pm
Msg #366767

I have had at least two unauthorized charges on my Chase debit card this year. One was from Paris and the other one was from Madrid. Apparently, my debit card number travels far more widely than do.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/2/11 6:09pm
Msg #366770

It appears to be spyware programs and other software to protect your computer. Have you downloaded any programs recently?

If not, you might start thinking about some of the places you have recently used your card. ID theft is always a big problem around the holidays (at all other times as well).

Good luck

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/2/11 7:11pm
Msg #366776

Thank heavens for Chase fraud detector

They call and confirm every online transaction made with my credit card (and I realize you said debit, but same same IMO)...they called and I found out that two of the transactions they had were not me - one for almost $300 to Comcast....they denied the charges, closed my account and issued a new card immediately.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/2/11 8:29pm
Msg #366782

Re: Thank heavens for Chase fraud detector

I got to them before they called me. I check my accounts every morning.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/3/11 6:41am
Msg #366806

Hugh, get a new card issued.

This happened to me and a lot of other patrons of the credit union I use.

My charge was not for ascentive.com. Mine were from Russia and Hungary, if I remember correctly.

The police told me that either an employee of a local store collected and stored information or someone used a device to collect and store information. They also said that there were devices that could capture the person's number from a distance or by being secretly attached to a credit card scanner and removed later. They could also collect pin numbers.

Thereafter, the numbers are sold on the black market and new cards are created and distributed to members* of this organized crime ring. Merchandise is purchased with the bogus credit cards by the members who shop and then ships the items to the ringleader. The head of the ring resells the merchandise on eBay/Amazon, etc. or wholesale to make a profit.

*Some of the members may not know they are participating in a crime. They have responded to an ad that says, "Shipping Agent needed."

In your case, it sounds like someone has your debit card number. Get a new one.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/3/11 7:46am
Msg #366809

Re: Hugh, get a new card issued.

I've heard from someone that works at a local CU that there is a lot of fraud going on. I'm wondering how they're getting those CU acct nos. ??????

Reply by dickb/wi on 1/3/11 11:48am
Msg #366836

i think ascentive is norton products....

go to control panel and look under "add or delete programs".....let it populate and then look for ascentive or norton......if u don't use them or know u have them then highlite and delete....if it is norton they will have several lines...delete the auto update last.......

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.