Notary Rotary
I would like to set up a website for my notary business and
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by kathy/ca on 1/7/11 12:38am
Msg #367401

would VERY much appreciate suggestions. I am SO technically challenged and need something really simple and cheap. Maybe what I am looking for doesnt exist but if it does....please let me know. Ithought I would find alot of info in "search" but I didnt.
I get a lot of calls for loan work and am listed in lots of databases but I would like to do more general notary work and seems a website is nesessary for that. Thanks all!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/7/11 1:22am
Msg #367402

My suggestions:

1. Don't use the freebie hosts unless you pay extra to remove advertising. It makes you look cheap and unprofessional. Having your own website is NOT that expensive to maintain, and is a very wise investment in your business that will pay off.

2. Get your own, professional domain, with your name or a business name. Have your site hosted. You can get a domain for about $10 (or less) and hosting can be really cheap but be sure that whoever you host with does NOT buy your domain and keep the rights to it... a lot of the cheap hosts will do this and offer "free" domain registration... yet not give you the rights to the domain if you decide to switch hosts. That will cause you a lot of misery... and trust me, those are the hosts you end up wanting to leave really quickly.

3. If you don't know anything about websites, hire somebody to do it for you. A good virtual assistant or web designer can set you up an easy to use site.

Now... I designed my own site, host my own site and maintain it myself, too. So some of what I've said may be daunting. The trick is to probably hire somebody who can set you up something pretty simple and easy.

Something that I think is imperative: If you have your own domain, your contact email address should match your domain. It just looks professional that way. I know a lot of notaries here don't do this and don't suffer for it, but it's just a personal view that I have. Some reading on that:

http://menwithpens.ca/email-address-losing-clients/

That article notes that Gmail is acceptable...adn to many it is because it is accessible. But to me, even gmail comes off as unprofessional at times, especially since gmail is versatile enough that you can still use with a professional email address as a mask.

Another one: http://blog.directnic.com/2010/06/10/getting-professional-email.html

That's not to say that somebody who uses a freebie email is unprofessional --- they may very well BE professional.... but what it shows is a lack of technological professionalism or savvy, and definitely a lack of knowledge in branding themselves. If you are passing out a business card with a freebie email address, you're advertising for another company. Why waste that valuable space?

For example, I don't really email Paul Williamson... but I darn well know his email address by heart since it is based on his domain name (pawnotary.com)

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/7/11 6:02am
Msg #367406

officelive.com is $14.95 per year.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 1/7/11 6:35am
Msg #367410

Mine are through Bravenet.com and I was able to figure out how to build a website using their Website Wizard. It's about $85 a year plus another $8.95 for the domain name. I built my second website and it didn't cost me anything extra except the $8.95 for the domain name. So, 2 websites for $85 a year. I think it's pretty good, although I don't think my website is as versatile as others I've seen. It works for me, though.
Take a look: www.juliestaxservice.com and www.kcmobilenotary.com

Reply by Anthony Nizick on 1/7/11 6:48am
Msg #367411

heres my suggestion

do you need really need to pay for one?
http://www.linkedin.com/in/anizick
send me a private message and i'll help you take care of your problem today!

Reply by marilyn pitts on 1/7/11 7:21am
Msg #367415

Re: heres my suggestion

I sent you a PM

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/7/11 9:42am
Msg #367423

If you want to be seen as professional.... yes.

And no, a website hosted at blogspot is not professional. It screams, "I want you to hire me, but I'm too cheap to build a proper business website," among other things.

Trust me on this one. One good loan signing will easily pay for a year's worth of hosting and a your domain. A couple more will get you a great, easily usable website -- or the books and training to learn how to do it yourself.

Building a simple webpage is not difficult, but if you aren't wanting to do that, then you should pay someone to do it for you.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/7/11 12:43pm
Msg #367469

Having a website is the best thing you can do to get

business.

I would say at least 85% of my notary-related income has come from people who have come across my website. I hear constantly that the reason they chose me (usually for their wedding) because 1) they love my website and 2) I am almost instant in responding to their e-mails.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/7/11 8:08am
Msg #367416

I design my websites myself using Microsoft FrontPage

I own one domain name with hosting that hosts all of my websites, which I think costs $100 for 3 years, and then I use $20 "redirection" URLs through 2ya.com.

The LinkedIn profiles are not websites. Marian's website, http://www.highdesertnotary.com/, is one of the absolute best in this profession. It has all the information a customer might ask of a notary. Mine is a little more basic - www.TampaNotaryPublic.com - but it is easy to maintain and has a professional image.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/7/11 1:31pm
Msg #367482

I would not recommend FrontPage

As a former web designer, I can tell you that no web designer worth anything would use FrontPage. Now, maybe it's improved since the last time I saw it. But FrontPage creates terrible HTML code. The code is bloated and it doesn't do well in search engines. If you're going to create your own site, use Dreamweaver. Great HTML code, easy to use, it's just a much better WYSIWYG program (what you see is what you get). Look at the source code on my site. Not a lot of nonsense for for a web crawler to go through to get to the actual text.

That said, there are probably plenty of places that do a good job with prefab websites and website builders that just let you fill in some basic info and go. Probably does the trick for most people. But I absolutely agree that a good website is as important as it gets. Not Rot and my website account for at least 80% of my calls, and almost all of my general notary work comes from my website.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/7/11 1:35pm
Msg #367485

I've done all of my websites with FrontPage

and have been pleased with the results.

My trick is to find other website layouts I like from free template sites, copy the HTML and just change the colors and photos.

Reply by Kay/IL on 1/7/11 10:04am
Msg #367426

Thanks for the Tips Marian and Robert

Both of your websites are on point! I plan to go this route in the very near future and you have given me as well as many others some great ideas on promoting business.

Thanks again!

Reply by Kay/IL on 1/7/11 10:08am
Msg #367427

Excellent Website Julie! n/m

Reply by ikando on 1/7/11 11:51am
Msg #367453

If I understand your question, you are looking for more "general" notary work.

I've found I get most of my calls for that work through the yellow pages, both paper book and online. I do have a website (want to change soon, but works for now) but have gone to many sites that pull phone numbers to advertise and get SEO activity. Yelp, ATT.com, etc., seem to be where the people who call me for powers of attorney, etc. come from.

I do highly agree with Marian that it would be a good idea to get a domain name. Many of the sites that sell them (GoDaddy is who I use), will give you a free email address with that domain name. So for less than $10/year, you have the contact info with your brand.

Just my 2 cents.

www.KanDoNotary.com

Reply by MW/VA on 1/7/11 1:14pm
Msg #367475

I have a one-page, keep it simple website. Hosting is

through Intuit Websites (6.95/mo). They will help you set it up. Good luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.