Notary Rotary
Is this a mistake?
Notary Discussion History

Is this a mistake?
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by aanotary on 1/20/11 6:21pm
Msg #369457

Is this a mistake?

Get a call, you made a mistake. On the acknowledgment I put 1/14/11 - they said lender wanted 1/14/2011. I thought they were being a little bit difficult? I am curious for your input? thanks!

Reply by John Schenk on 1/20/11 6:39pm
Msg #369459

If they want ME to write 1/14/2011, there had better be an instruction in the confirmation or with the docs telling me to do so or they're going to get 1/14/11 from me and the borrowers.

It's not a mistake unless you were instructed to do it and didn't follow that instruction, IMO.

JJ

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/20/11 7:07pm
Msg #369470

Agreed n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 1/20/11 6:42pm
Msg #369460

First, without specific instructions to write the date in that manner, no.

Many forms that I see are requesting date, like DOB, in particular formats, ie, xx/xx/xx or, what I see many times with DOB especially, xx/xx/xxxx. As I said though, usually relating to birth dates. I really can't recall anyone requesting this latter format for today's date. So again, no mistake. jmo

Reply by aanotary on 1/20/11 6:51pm
Msg #369461

There were not specific instructions as to how to format the dates. They also wanted me to ship it back on my dime -and I said no can do. I think they are being overly picky and it will cost me a bunch. And with an account # (which I do not have) it is $5.00. They gave me an account #..Just curious what you guys& gals thought. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply by janCA on 1/20/11 6:51pm
Msg #369462

In my certs, I always spell month out completely, therefore, no confusion. January 20, 2011.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/20/11 6:59pm
Msg #369463

Hi Jan
Amy is referring to the year not the month. Apparently they expected her to write 2011 in full.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/20/11 7:02pm
Msg #369465

And expected with no instructions to any particular manner.

You should be getting more money to go back out for return trip. Also, do they expect this to be corrected with new date or one already used?

Reply by janCA on 1/20/11 7:04pm
Msg #369466

Hi Sylvia, I should have clarified...

I write out the "whole" date. I write out month, and don't shorten year.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/20/11 7:15pm
Msg #369471

Re: Hi Sylvia, I should have clarified...

I usually do that too JanSmile

I don't see, though, where a company can tell a notary how to fill out their certificates. The notary certificate is the notary's domain.

Reply by John Schenk on 1/20/11 7:28pm
Msg #369479

Actually, if the line is big enough I do that myself on filling in the date. If it's short, they get 1/20/11. As for when my Comm. Expires, I am NEVER going to write out that date unless specifically instructed to do so, and some lenders DO specify in the docs that you are to print out the full date your commission expires. When I used to use an embossed stamp, that was important. Since we moved to stamps with the commission expiration date on the stamp itself, I kind of consider filling in that date at all a waste of time since it's already on the darned stamp.

If it's __________ day of ______________________, I write in 20th day of January, 2011.

If it's _______________________________, I write in January 20, 2011.

I don't normally put 1/20/11 in that situation, so I agree with how you do it. However, I don't feel it mandatory to write out January 20, 2011 when I have a big blank to fill in the date. On my Commission expiration, they're gonna get 12/6/14, unless it has (print full date) there, which Richmond Title is notorious for one.

JJ

Reply by docs2go/ca on 1/22/11 12:31am
Msg #369617

This is exactly how I do this. Jean

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/20/11 7:06pm
Msg #369468

No specific instructions with the loan as to date format, then no error.

A habit carried over from writing reports in the Army, I still date this way 20 Jan 2011 or 20 January 2011. I was called on that one time, asking where in the world people date that way ...... I just replied "You're kidding, right. Better ask your boss." But in some countries, they do put the day first even when using numbers to represent them all.

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/20/11 7:23pm
Msg #369474

Glenn, n/m

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/20/11 7:26pm
Msg #369476

Sorry

I ended up getting a rent a car in Grand Cayman for a week and was only charged one day, it was June or July and must have been in the first week. $29, I'll never forget it. The first guy dated it in our way and the return agent dated it the 'english way'. I was only 22 and sweated my amex bill for 90 days.

Reply by Cam/CA on 1/20/11 7:27pm
Msg #369477

Yes they do Glenn, England being one of those countries n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/20/11 8:12pm
Msg #369490

Re: Yes they do Glenn, England being one of those countries

yes, and even though I have been in the USA 37 years I still get a little confused sometimes - wondering if 6/3/10 would be June 3rd or 6th March!

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 1/21/11 1:15pm
Msg #369552

Re: Yes they do Glenn, England being one of those countries

Yes Sylvia, we date that way in France too and now and then I too get confused. Glad to know it's not just me.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/20/11 7:45pm
Msg #369482

That's not only the military way of dating, but the way it

done in much of the world.
I agree that the way you dated it should be no issue. That's way too picky & not cause for any docs to be redone, IMHO.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/20/11 7:59pm
Msg #369487

I was taught in notary class to always write the date out - January 20, 2011 or Jan. 20, 2011

The CA Jurat date must be written out......the month can be shortened but the day and year are to be written out completely. No option for the Jurat.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_jurat.pdf

The acknowledgment doesn't require it but it's best to write the date out completely.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/21/11 7:01am
Msg #369507

While it *legally* probably doesn't make a difference,

I make it a habit of writing out the full date if space permits (January 20, 2011), or, if space doesn't permit, Jan. 20, 2011.

Only in extreme circumstances (the line is ________ that big), do I abbreviate 1/20/2011 (rarely, if ever, would I abbreviate the year to two digits). I make every effort to avoid entirely numerical date abbreviations because you never know if it is going to cause confusion between those who write the date DD/MM/YYYY as opposed to the American way of MM/DD/YYYY.

Considering that 100 years ago, notaries dated "... this 20th day of January, in the year of our Lord 2011 and in the independence of the United States the two hundred and thirty fifth year", I think all numerical dates 1/20/11 should be reserved for computer databases and not for the public documents of public officials. JMHO.

Reply by PAW on 1/21/11 9:06am
Msg #369515

Date formats

There are plenty of different ways to specify a date on documents. Just about all government documents today (not counting military) use MM/DD/YYYY formats, which is also the way I write the abbreviated, numeric date. (What ever happened to Julian dates?)

I think the most interesting date format that I've run across is with international treaties and conventions. Typically, the administering entity is in Europe so the DD-MM-YYYY format is commonly used, but the month is written in Roman Numerals. Thus, eliminating lots of confusion, with two exceptions: January and February. For example, January 3rd, this year, would be 3-I-2011 which could easily be confused with March 1st. Another example, February 3rd, this year, would be 3-II-2011, which certainly could be confused with November 3rd or March 11th, depending on the font or handwriting and whatever format the reader is used to.

Reply by jnew on 1/21/11 11:52am
Msg #369533

Re: Date formats

I am going to use this as a learning moment. The fact that a lender objected to the format would be sufficient warning to no longer use the format. Who needs the aggravation?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.