Notary Rotary
Mac computers
Notary Discussion History

Mac computers
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by MEM/CA on 1/11/11 8:30am
Msg #367964

Mac computers

Are Mac computers compatible with this job? My PC just crashed and are looking at my options.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/11/11 8:56am
Msg #367969

I just bought laptop HP I5, 2.40 , 6 gigs memory for 585.00. Glen advised me on what to buy.

Reply by Patricia/VT on 1/11/11 10:04am
Msg #367981

So far I have not been able to print PDFs with the option of choosing paper size according to PDF on my new i-mac - not even on the virtual Windows i'm running. Suggestions from anyone who has done this successfully will be much appreciated. For now, I'm keeping my Windows laptop just to print docs!

Reply by LC/AZ on 1/11/11 10:10am
Msg #367983

I have the same problem. Print docs from my Windows laptop and not from my Mac desktop.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/11/11 11:39am
Msg #368002

I am a former Apple user (my first real computer, probably can't count the Commodore 64) who changed to PC because of business incompatibilities. I use to use both. I still have a Power PC that is still faster than a PC when it comes to video editing, but alas even Apple has dropped support. Beginning with OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard,", I could no longer upgrade the O/S. That is when Apple began using Intel chips. The problem with not being able to choose your tray by paper size is not likely to be solved anytime soon. Steve Jobs and Adobe are at war over the use of Flash in their products. Adobe reader has a reader that is compatible with the Mac O/S, but it is lacking many other features that the PC version has in addition to being able choose paper size.

I was going to bore you with a little history on why Apple is only 5% of the operating systems in use now, but I didn't want to put you to sleep. I will try to sum it up in one statement: Apple wanted to tell business what they needed rather than listening to their concerns.

There is one thing you can do if you must buy an Apple and still use it in business, or for those with Apples that use Intel chips. You can go to the Apple store and either have a tech tell you or pay him to partition your hard drive so you can run a dual boot system. You will have to buy a full install copy of Windows 7 for about 100 bucks or so. The Intel chips will allow Windows to run the same as on a PC. But be aware, since the change to Intel chips, they use the same motherboards, the same internal parts as a pc, with an Apple design. Apple is not putting much money into their computers, choosing instead to put most of their R&D money into phones, iPads, iPods etc.
So you have that choice or you could just get a pc for 1/2 the money already loaded with everything you need ......

Reply by Patricia/VT on 1/11/11 1:15pm
Msg #368023

Many thanks for all your responses. Fortunately my i-mac was a gift, and I can certainly use my Windows laptop to print PDFs. I am running parallels and did buy Windows 7 & installed it. When I use Windows on the mac, it shows the print screen that offers the option of choosing paper by PDF size, but when I select it, still prints from one tray only!

Glen - Is it possible that my hard drive is not "partitioned" properly?

Reply by rengel/CA on 1/11/11 12:15pm
Msg #368006

The macintosh operating system does not play nicely with Adobe making it nearly impossible to print pdf files.

Notice I said "nearly" impossible. It can be done, but it is too much of a pain for my taste.

My .02

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.