Notary Rotary
National Assco of Secretaty of STates Report
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 1/27/11 6:16am
Msg #370228

A 31 page report on Notary regulations has been release by NASS. You can read it at

http://www.nass.org/

The right column at top under NASS spotlight there is a tab for it.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/27/11 7:17am
Msg #370230

This was posted several days ago n/m

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/27/11 7:26am
Msg #370232

Sorry. Missed that n/m

Reply by SharonH/OH on 1/27/11 10:03am
Msg #370243

Question for OH notaries

First off, I do keep a journal, for CYA purposes. But it has always been my understanding that it is not a requirement for Ohio notaries except for notarial protests, which are generally frowned upon unless you're an attorney. The appendix in this document shows Ohio as requiring a journal. A google search shows the ASN also stating that Ohio requires a journal. The two county manuals I looked at online are silent on the issue. The actual statute (ORC 147.04), from the SOS website, reads:

"...A notary public shall also provide himself with an official register in which shall be recorded a copy of every certificate of protest and copy of note, which seal and record shall be exempt from execution. Upon the death, expiration of term without reappointment, or removal from office of any notary public, his official register shall be deposited in the office of the county recorder of the county in which he resides."

I find no other record regarding journal requirements. So am I missing something? Or are both the NASS and the ASN wrong on this issue? Or maybe they're just not being detailed enough about it?

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/28/11 10:44am
Msg #370334

You're correct - not required. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.