Notary Rotary
New Business Opportunities for Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 2:07pm
Msg #367133

I have been listed with Notary Rotary for some time now and just became a premier member. That being said, I would like to pose a question to the group. What do you see as the the next business opportunities for Notaries outside of Loan signings? Is there really a call for fingerprinting etc. Are law offices open to utilizing mobile notaries to better serve their clients. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/5/11 2:15pm
Msg #367136

Michael there are a number of us on this forum who work for Attys on - call. Very easy work, no printing just go and notarize. 5 to 10 mins at the most. Pays almost as much as a signing.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/5/11 2:19pm
Msg #367138

I once got a call from an attorney's office and they did not want to pay my $20 travel fee in addition to the per-notarization fee.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/5/11 2:26pm
Msg #367141

Quite the opposite here. I once charged $85.00 (3 Docs) and the ATTY said the job was worth $125.00 and that's what he paid me.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:09pm
Msg #367153

Thanks for your response. I would think that would not normally be the case.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:08pm
Msg #367152

James thanks for your response. Yes it makes total sense to me on a service provider side. Especially as clients age or society becomes busier (if that is possible) the convenience of someone coming to your home or office and professionally take care of what needs to be done, I believe would be a welcome addition. It sounds like at least in your area that is true.
Again Thank you for your response.
Michael

Reply by James Dawson on 1/5/11 3:15pm
Msg #367157

In calif couples getting a divorce are required to have a settlement conference. The are usually conducted by single Atty's working out of their home a one man office. Those Docs must be notarized an presented to the Judge. These lawyers help the couples prepare the agreements to present to the Judge. Lot's of work here. I think every month almost 1/4 of the state files for divorce. LOL

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:21pm
Msg #367162

Well, I hate to say "been there done that" but it is what it is. With NY changing it's rules about divorces that might be something to look at. Thanks again.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/5/11 2:32pm
Msg #367143

As someone who works in a law office, I can tell you that my office, and most of the other law offices in my area (Tampa, Fla.), already have a notary or notaries on their staff. Furthermore, to be quite honest, I simply do not trust other notaries to properly notarize the documents we give to our clients. I recently sent a client an affidavit to sign, with a very basic jurat. The notary failed to complete the venue, didn't fill in a full date (she only wrote "28th" instead of "November 28th, 2011"), and signed in the wrong spot. This country is oversaturated with clueless notaries who don't know what they are doing.

I have Alfred Piombino's "Notary Public Handbook: A Guide for Florida". In the introduction he mentions a study that was conducted in New York on randomly selected notaries. The study revealed that 91% of notaries did not administer an oath when required and 82% did not properly identify the affiant. It would not surprise me if similar percentages would be found if the same study were conducted in Florida or any other state.

Fingerprinting? Until it becomes a requirement in every state that notaries keep a journal and take fingerprints, I don't think the general public would even think to contact a notary for something like fingerprinting. Not to mention, fingerprinting is not something that is needed all that often. I am not a fingerprinting expert, and don't pretend to me. I have never taken someone's fingerprint, neither for notarial nor any other purpose. I have only had my fingerprints taken one time, and I had to do it at the police department.

What would *I* like to see in the future for notaries? I'd like to see the number of notaries limited so that our services become more valuable... in such a way that notaries would have to set up storefront offices just to handle routine notarizations. I'd like to see us perceived as true public officers and professionals rather than Amscot clerks. I'd like to see the dignity and respect restored to the office of Notary Public... take us back to the days when notaries were important officials.

Realistically? I think that the loan signing profession will eventually die. Title companies will have their own "courtesy closers" on staff who do nothing but travel; or, all closings would be held at the title company office. They will have on-staff notaries that don't complain about non-compliant certificates or a wrong middle initial, etc., that just sign and stamp whatever is put in front of them. I know that others disagree, but this is my opinion.

As for other opportunities, unfortunately I think that notaries will only be able to make a living if they offer other services. There are many on this board that do inspections, for example. I've recently started offering voter registration services, which I hope will open some opportunities.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/5/11 2:51pm
Msg #367146

I disagree partially with your assessment of "courtesy closers" from title companies. There will always be out of state closings that need an out of state notary.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:18pm
Msg #367159

Thanks for your response, I certainly agree with you on that.

Reply by Christine L. Reeves on 1/5/11 3:13pm
Msg #367156

Really sorry to hear that her notary experience was so negative. I am a professional, professionally trained and certified. Please don't say " a notary" and label all of us. Poor training or non at all? I am not familiar with what codes and exams are required in Florida. If a notary makes a mistake, call them on it and tell them why you won't use them again. I bet if you had a client that was not happy with your work, you would hear from them. Just don't judge all of us by one of us.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:19pm
Msg #367160

Thanks for your response. I certainly agree with you.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 3:17pm
Msg #367158

Thanks for your response. I tend to agree regarding the fingerprinting at this point. At least in my area (Syracuse NY) I have not seen anyone providing this or even a call for it. That being said a couple of years ago when NY decided to register and then license loan originators there was a massive run for all the police agencies to get fingerprinted. I was just curious if anyone (that was qualified) could provide that service instead of the police departments, If I remember they did charge each individual about 15.00 for a couple of minutes work. What about e-signings? I have not had anyone ask for those either but I do see requests in some other states for it. As for people providing poor or even inadequate service, there will always be people that do not care about the position they hold. As well as there will always be people that hold their position with the most dignity and professionalism. And as for not needing any notaries, well most of my work does not come from local companies so with that being said, there will always be a certain amount of work everywhere. Again thanks for your response.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/5/11 2:52pm
Msg #367148

In the wake of the economic crisis, some of our female members, I understand, have considered the business opportunities in prostitution. Some male signing agents have stooped even lower: They've enrolled in law school.

Both the prospects and the community standing appear brighter for the females.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/5/11 3:06pm
Msg #367150

I don't know if I agree with you on this one Hugh,...my best friend is a law school professor and the often tells me they are issuing "licenses" to steal. As far as I know, prostitution is still illegal although the end result is the same as dealing with a lawyer. IMO

Reply by LeeH/IN on 1/6/11 11:40am
Msg #367307

After reading this response followed by Mr. "Available's" rant I thought he fit into this thread right about here!

Reply by MW/VA on 1/5/11 3:33pm
Msg #367165

LOL. I thought the 2 professions were basically the same,

Hugh. It's just a slight difference as to which "bar" they originate at. LOL

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/5/11 3:41pm
Msg #367172

:-) n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/5/11 3:39pm
Msg #367171

There's always general notary work, some are doing inspections or even process-servers.
Despite what you may hear, I don't think the role of NSA is going away any time soon!

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/5/11 4:01pm
Msg #367179

Thanks for your response. I totally agree.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.