New Notary
Notary Discussion History

New Notary
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Marie Gonzalez on 1/8/11 7:04pm
Msg #367670

New Notary

Hello,

I just obtained my commission a couple of months ago. I did it for the purposed of becoming a signing agent and getting a little extra income but I have been having trouble getting any signings.

I contacted a few of the signing companies on this site and I got a few new hire packets which I have returned, but still no word.

I notice all of them ask for experience and prior signings, as well as if I belong to any association. My question is, how do you gain experience if no one will give you a chance?

Any tips on how I can get started?

Reply by Alz on 1/8/11 7:07pm
Msg #367671

Msg #33325 and the orange search button is your BFF.

Reply by Anthony Nizick on 1/8/11 7:36pm
Msg #367672

I THINK I MIGHT PAY FOR THIS

I mean the membership for notaryrotary, you know start the new year off right. I also came to site looking for more work but we won't talk about that. Hahaha...I believe once you pay for membership you appear in more searches (please correct me if I'm wrong, I know some of you will). I've been a member for over 6 months and I do enjoy what I site can offer. Even though there's opinions that should 100% be kept to themselves. I have just scrolled the forums and have picked up some good tips, real descent ones. Now is the time to know some good trends happening in the world too so I'll probably stay a few more days and chat. We will see....Good luck

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/8/11 7:40pm
Msg #367674

Re: I THINK I MIGHT PAY FOR THIS

If you pay for membership in Notary Rotary, you will come up as a Premier Member in the searches above the basic members.

Reply by DD/OR on 1/8/11 8:11pm
Msg #367683

Marie, this business is like any other business in the sense that you have to build up your business. It doesn't happen overnight. You have to market yourself.

Reply by Ari/NJ on 1/8/11 9:07pm
Msg #367691

Hi Marie,

You need to really market yourself. I'm still new too. I've only been in the business for a year now. The first 2 or 3 months I would only get 2 or 3 calls a month. I was hoping to do this full time but I wasn't getting enough business and some of the companies really low ball. I never got the volume that I wanted so I went back to work full time. I now do about 2- 4 closings a week and I'm happy with that because like you this is easy extra income for me and I enjoy it. Good Luck.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 1/8/11 9:13pm
Msg #367693

It took me a couple of years to really get built up to where I was making good money. Watch, pay attention, make notes. No one here will hand you the information directly...but if you watch & read & take notes, the info you need is posted here.

Reply by aries/CA on 1/8/11 9:31pm
Msg #367695

Welcome! It doesn't happen over night. I was a loan officer before, so I knew lenders, brokers and escrow companies. You can also go that route and visit those offices. They were not keeping me busy enough, so I decided to get my name out there with signing companies. If you are bilingual is very helpful and let them know. I am very fortunate to know two languages.
Best of Luck!

Reply by DBFL on 1/9/11 11:11am
Msg #367736

When I was new, I took any signing I could and made sure I did the best job possible to get my name "out there" and gain the numbers the companies wanted. I was content the first year to “hone my trade”. I then decided to make this a true business and started to market myself. I come from a real estate background, so I understood that it takes a couple of months to see the results of your marketing efforts. Just keep marketing and you will begin to see the results. It took me another year before I found this site and I believe it has been the catalyst that has really helped me to grow my business. I read the posts everyday and glean new info each time. Some times what you read will not be helpful today, but you will encounter a situation down the road that will apply to the topic. I had decided to start a website in 2011 when doing my business plan and a month later NR had a topic stream about websites with all kinds of useful info. I take notes and refer back to them. I have begun to use SC quite a bit and that has helped me find good companies to work with. Like any business, it takes time, tenacity, hard work, and a positive attitude. In my opinion, the best help anyone on this site can provide you with is to find the hidden advice in everyone’s posts. I get a number of ideas to research just by analyzing the info provided in questions asked and answers received. Good luck and keep at it. This is not a fast and easy way to start making lots of money as some have suggested.

Reply by Jessica Bailey on 1/9/11 1:47pm
Msg #367743

Maria, I got excellent advise from someone within a mortgage company and it was to shadow another notary on several signings to gather experience first-hand.

It definitely helped me and off on my own I went. Right on this site you can look for notaries in your area to contact via email or phone. Some notaries may not be willing to help as they may feel you will take their business, but I was lucky to find a wonderful notary who has taught me alot.

Hope that helps ya out. Mortgage Connect is a good company to register with. I started with them and now I am registered and doing business with 9 other companies!

Jessica Bailey

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.