Notary Rotary
NotaryNow.com
Notary Discussion History

NotaryNow.com
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by FGX/NJ on 1/11/11 6:37am
Msg #367954

NotaryNow.com

They show up in Google search for mobile Notary in my area.
"No need fpr a mobile Notary. You can have doc Notarized from computer with Webcam. Price $14.99 which includes $2.50 Notarization fee."
What happened to "Personally Appeared" ??????????
Is this just Nj or country wide?
Have contacted NJ Assembly person to look into this "ILLEGAL" scheme

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/11/11 7:41am
Msg #367956

100% illegal

I have seen these types of things come up online once in a while. They are all of course equally illegal, and the notaries involved should definitely lose their commissions.

I recently received my first request for an electronic notarization. After contacting the customer, he of course was hoping this was a way to get around having to get things notarized in person. I explained to him that there was no alternative to personal appearance and that electronic notarization doesn't work like that. All we can do is educate the public.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/11/11 8:32am
Msg #367965

So far, this is the first I have seen.

It's very disturbing.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/11/11 8:55am
Msg #367968

Yeah..there's a poster hawking this on another site

definitely against FL notary law, which specifically defines "physical presence"...he never responded when I asked how they got by the "presence" requirement...

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/11/11 12:50pm
Msg #368014

Perhaps they need to be reported to the SOS.

Had something like this locally here about 6 months ago. Several of us contacted the SOS and it took just a couple of days to have the site shutdown.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 1/11/11 1:04pm
Msg #368018

They seem to think it is legal, their notaries are in new jersey, and supposedly believe they can notarize a signature of anyone, anywhere. I am floored here. How they got this off the ground and think it's anywhere near legal is beyond me!
I also looked at their site, and called them to ask how they can do this. I was told, that because all the states recognize a document notarized in another state, as being legitimate, this gives them the authority they need to notarize anything anywhere. Unbelievable!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/11/11 1:14pm
Msg #368022

How can they charge $14.99 when NJ's statutory fee is $2.50? There is no travel involved, no document printing, etc. IN this case, the customer is coming to the notary... so there can't possibly be any extra fees.

Absolutely illegal, IMO.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/11/11 1:31pm
Msg #368025

I cannot find where NotaryNow has NJ notaries on it.

Unless it IS for a fact NJ, perhaps we can all look for their names in our notary databases. This is really terrible.

Reply by GWest on 1/11/11 2:06pm
Msg #368033

Re: I cannot find where NotaryNow has NJ notaries on it.

The information I find is that they are located in Newport Beach, CA, based on the phone number provided on their website. They are also listed on the numbers site in California.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/11/11 2:07pm
Msg #368034

Oh wow. California! This could be good.

Maybe a California notary can let the SoS know.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/11/11 2:12pm
Msg #368036

Doesn't really matter...with this premise they're

promoting they can be nationwide...all SOS's are involved.

I sent it to our SOS - they're website together with a copy of a post made elsewhere about this company. Asked them to check the validity of the service as they're skirting the presence requirement.

We shall see.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/11/11 2:19pm
Msg #368037

I called these idiots and they confirmed that their notaries

are acting out of New Jersey.

The only way this will get dealt with is if all of us contact the NJ SOS as soon as possible.

The last thing we need is for other notaries to see this and think its OK.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/11/11 2:26pm
Msg #368039

Check out FaceBook..I think it's already too late... n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/11/11 2:36pm
Msg #368042

Marked the facebook page as a scam...hope others follow suit n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/11/11 2:44pm
Msg #368043

Also reported this to the NJ Atty General and....

.... the NNA.

I know some of us have mixed feelings about the NNA, but they do have tremendous influence and they may be able to stop it.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/11/11 3:23pm
Msg #368054

My feelings aren't mixed. :)

I agree that they may be able to pull the right strings and stop it.

Reply by ME/NJ on 1/11/11 3:02pm
Msg #368045

Company is out of LA in California.. Won't fly in NJ

If you notice no real contact info -street address if you google the number it gives more information and if you want to pay even more.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 1/11/11 3:17pm
Msg #368049

Re: Company is out of LA in CA wont fly in NJ or CA

They have a listing (added 1/7/10) on the numbers site, saying they are in Newport Beach, CA.
I have sent an email to my SOS office.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.