Notary Rotary
Our country is in a world of trouble by what I witnessed
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 1/12/11 8:19pm
Msg #368320

tonight by a borrower. She was just unbelievable. We had to switch out 9 docs out of the copy pkg due to her not being able to write the date right or spell her name right or check the right box that says she is married. Then she says its their fault for wording it so weird. How hard is it to check a box that says "I am married". And... she works for the government. She reports directly to the Pentagon. I kept my composure but walked out of there saying "OH MY GOD". This person is actually in charge of something in our government. Its no wonder this country is going down hill and going fast. What ticks me off the most is the amt of money she is making. Holy Cow!!! I'm getting a government job.
And folks, that's why we're broke.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/12/11 8:30pm
Msg #368321

Are you sure she was sober??...:) n/m

Reply by Alz on 1/12/11 8:49pm
Msg #368324

That was going to be my question. n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/12/11 9:17pm
Msg #368326

Walk a mile in her shoes, and then get back to us. n/m

Reply by Hart - Marilyn on 1/12/11 9:30pm
Msg #368328

Re: Walk a mile in her shoes, and then get back to us.

She needs to walk a mile in ours!!! LOL

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/12/11 9:44pm
Msg #368332

What exactly do you mean Susan, what are you saying???? n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/12/11 10:34pm
Msg #368337

That because the first impression you have with

a stranger is just that. A first impression.

You have no knowledge of her - her life, her circumstance - her anything, really, except that you see where she lives. You know her job and her employer, and other identity-sensitive information.

Is this her first rodeo? Did you ask? Did you put her at ease, or sigh loudly and roll your eyes as you pressed on?

I don't know. What I do know, is that to condemn the Pentagon and our Federal Government on your first impression of one (perhaps distracted) person, is repugnant.

Best of luck with your federal job applications.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/12/11 10:41pm
Msg #368338

A bit judgmental, huh?

I worked for a while for the Federal govt - had to quit due to the incompetentcy of those around me - I knew this is not how I wanted to turn out. (very wryly: Snort!)

There is no incentive to work when nothing is required of you and you still get paid and promoted. And, if you are there for 3 years, they cannot get rid of you. This is not the people's work.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/12/11 11:38pm
Msg #368341

Susan, this lady could not even spell her own name right

She messed it up 3 times. How in the world does she do her job for OUR government if she can't even write her own name, or check a box right, or get the date right after 5 times writing it and kept asking what the date was. Get a clue lady.

And no this was not her first rodeo (since when are they called rodeo's). These people are military. They have moved a dozen times in their career's. Bought, sold, refi'd more than you and I ever will. She knows the ropes by now.

Yes, Susan I did put her at ease. We shook hands, chatted a bit, talked with her 10 yr old daughter a bit about her school etc. We made lots of small talk. She offered me drinks twice and even asked if I needed to use the restroom, which I declined. She was very at ease. She was even in her jammies at 6:30 pm. Don't know how much more at ease she could have been.

And, Susan I would love to tell you a hundred more stories of what my husband deals with on a daily basis delivering gasoline to their gas station on our local Air Force Base. Would make you shake your head and say WT*. If you've got a couple hours sometime, let me know.

And. I come from a long line of military in my family. I hold the Marine Corps dear to my heart and I thank and love every member of our military both past and serving us right now to protect our freedom. Freedom is not free. I spent Nov 11 (Veterans Day), at Scott Air Force Base, IL waving my small American Flag for a local soldier killed in Afganistan and paying my respects to his family. Do NOT even go there girl. That is not what I meant.
All I am saying is this woman is in charge of some pretty important stuff and she can't even write her own name. Once is understandable, but 3 times and 9 docs that were switched out for
various mistakes. Come on. She was ridiculous and it is scary none the less for ALL of us. Just sayin. And, from the few minutes I listened to Obama tonight, heaven help us all. Had to flip it. Couldn't take another word out of his mouth.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/12/11 11:45pm
Msg #368344

Definitely time to move to Just Politics n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/13/11 12:02am
Msg #368345

I rest my case. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 1/13/11 1:36am
Msg #368350

Re: Susan, this lady could not even spell her own name right

***Just sayin.***

No, you're not. What you are "just sayin"" should just be said in Just Politics, which was established for just such postings as this.

As a former reporter for government at all levels, from local Mosquito Control Districts to the federal government, I'd like to respond to you. This is not the forum to do it in, though, and you degrade the purpose of the forum by such polemical postings.

You are not, in other words, "just sayin'. You are being utterly inappropriate.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/12/11 11:42pm
Msg #368343

Well, this should all probably go to JP, but here goes...

Last week, I did a signing where the wife mentioned that they were both federal agents. They had no problem "checking the boxes" and asked various intelligent questions. I've had signings with other people who couldn't get the right box checked (so to speak) who worked in other industries which are doing just fine, in spite of those individuals. I've done lots of signings with numerous other people who worked for the government who seemed very capable (as well a few who made me wonder... Wink)

I think we need to be at least as concerned with the tendency of many to so easily make an inference about a whole class of people or any entire organization from a single incident. With the abundant methods we have today to instantly communicate any negative incident (and I don't just mean us notaries, natch), it could lead us to believe that things are really much worse than they are. If we really look around and think about it, even though we'd all agree that there is a great deal of room for improvement, there are lots of things that impact our lives every day that work just fine - to the point where we don't even notice them anymore or realize that they were established by, or are run by, some branch of our government. (The various local "first responders" come to mind.)

Just a little attempt at perspective...

Reply by DD/OR on 1/13/11 1:27am
Msg #368348

Linda, I'm inclined to agree with you. I had one or two borrowers that did similar things.
I kind of think that the borrower does it on purpose. Nobody could be that stupid. I think maybe the borrower has a change of mind about the loan or something along those lines. They kind of act like they don't care if they get the loan or not. So, I think its possibly done on purpose.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/13/11 5:55am
Msg #368352

Of all the government employees I have come in contact with

I can safely say that a good 85% of them were lazy, rude, unknowledgeable in what they were doing, and couldn't care less about serving the public.

Go down to your local courthouse. I know at mine, there are two supergiants sitting in the back chitchatting and drinking coffee for every one person at the front desk actually helping a line of people that goes out the door. And that one person happens to be the slowest and rudest.

This has been my own personal experience. Take it FWIW.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/13/11 5:56am
Msg #368353

That was supposed to be "supervisors" not "supergiants" n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/13/11 7:43am
Msg #368356

It sounds like she wasn't sober or is dyslexic. I live in a heavy military/government contract area.
The complaints are unbelievable about the stress on the job due to incompetents (their reports, not mine). IMO the system has become so huge, they have lost control. I've experienced the same with the Post Office. IMO there are many systems breaking down.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/13/11 8:04am
Msg #368362

My husband retired from the post office

the incompetence of management is unbelievable...

Reply by MW/VA on 1/13/11 7:46am
Msg #368357

I think the question here for notaries would have been

whether to proceed with the signing or not. The person has to know what they're signing.
If she was incapacitated in any way it might have been a good idea to excuse yourself, call the tc or LO, and get some advice on whether to proceed.

Reply by Larry/IL on 1/13/11 7:58am
Msg #368359

Moral of the story is:

I once heard a wise person say; If one has nothing positive to say, they should say nothing at all? Unless it's in S/C ! .......and accurate of course.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/13/11 8:02am
Msg #368361

LOL, Larry. Even that may not be an option anymore. Read

msg. 368055. Some as#$ole is going after the owners of these sites and threatening them with lawsuits for what we post. Yeesssshhhh!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.