Notary Rotary
Printing Docs at FEDEX office
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Louisiana33 on 1/31/11 10:08am
Msg #370649

Last week, I had two loan closings that took place immediately after I got off work at my full time job. Therefore, I had to email the docs to FEDEX office so I could pick them up and get to the closings on time. Each set was approximately $30.

I was wondering how many others have used this service before. I really hope I don't have use them any time soon.

Reply by janCA on 1/31/11 10:17am
Msg #370652

Aside from the privacy issue of those docs with the personnel at Fed Ex, $30 is a big junk of your profit margin. I think I would just go wireless and have a printer in my vehicle for those last minute signings. It will pay for itself in no time. And I applaud you in the fact that you did not use your employer's printer to print the docs.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/31/11 10:27am
Msg #370655

I've done this once. A SS had an urgent signing (rate lock expiration) they needed done. I was on the road about 35 mile from home and the borrowers were close to my current location. I had them arrange to have the Docs printed and waiting for me at the nearest FedEx/Kinko's on their dime. Otherwise I would have printed them at home and went back out.

Reply by A S Johnson on 1/31/11 10:37am
Msg #370657

No, I've never used this service.
I do compliment you for not using you daytime job company's equipment to print the docs.
Thank you for the imput that $30 charges FedEx Office for printing the docs. May of us charge $35 for the e-doc print charge and get told $25 or less is a reasonable charge.
You are adding a e-doc download/printing charge in your fee.
My $110 basic fee includes $75 for the signing and $35 for the printing of the docs. I get extra for large packages, fax backs, travel, etc.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 10:42am
Msg #370659

Re: Printing Docs at FEDEX office..I think I would suggest

Scheduling a bit later after work to allow for late docs...they happen a lot.

In the meantime, I don't know your work environment but in my previous employment situation, I would not have had a problem asking my boss's permission to print the docs at work as it's an emergency and I'd offer him a fee for use of his office equipment and paper.

JMHO

Reply by James Dawson on 1/31/11 10:57am
Msg #370662

Definitely ask if it's O.K. but I would never ask to do that, it could get you fired by a higher up. Jealousy in the work place looks for opportunities like this to surface.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 11:00am
Msg #370663

Like I said - I could have asked my employer

We were a small law firm - I was the only paralegal - he would have let me but I'd never have done it without asking first..

As I said, I don't know the OP's employment situation...it was just a suggestion if she has that kind of rapport with her boss and leeway within the workplace.

MHO

Reply by Louisiana33 on 1/31/11 1:04pm
Msg #370701

I work for a huge company that shares network printers. I would never ask, but the printer would be tied up printing 250 pages. BTW they gave me a volume discount.

I will look into the mobile office. I have a wireless printer at home.

Thanks for the input!!

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/31/11 11:09am
Msg #370664

Should only be about 8 cents a copy. Something sounds really wrong. Make sure your are emailing them directly to the kinkos email so they don't charge internet fees. Or you can have them print one set on their smack daddy copier and then run that set through the public use copier. Or try to get a volume discount set up with them. I get one through a title company.
Nothing like being in a hurry but $30 is a lot of $$ in my opinion.

Reply by aries/CA on 1/31/11 11:40am
Msg #370669

When I was working at my part time job, I had a closing at 1:30 and was leaving at 1 o'clock. The borrowers were in a rush and had to leave right after the signing. There was no way, I could have gone home to print them and turn around to go to the signing. I told my boss about the situation, and she told me to just print them there. I told her I would pay her, and she said to work 1 hour extra the next day and not to worry about paying her. What a relief.

Reply by OR on 1/31/11 11:59am
Msg #370673

That is why I love my mobile office. I can print using my equiptment in my car. You may want to look into setting one up.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 11:57am
Msg #370672

My kinkos here charges $0.12/page legal

$0.10/page letter - so all legal - 150 pages X2 - $36.00 - not so out of line.

I would also worry about the borrowers' privacy too..

Reply by enotary/va on 1/31/11 12:26pm
Msg #370679

Re: My kinkos here charges $0.12/page legal

With my mobile office. I can print using my equiptment in my car. You may want to look into one .

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 1:04pm
Msg #370702

Thanks..but no need at the moment...my volume

doesn't support it..

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/31/11 4:10pm
Msg #370742

More info about mobile office

Can someone tell me a little more about how the mobile office works? I mean, I'm assuming it's a printer that somehow can obtain power from the cigarette lighter? Excuse my ignorance, but I would like to look into it. Is this expensive? What does it intail?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 4:19pm
Msg #370743

Marie..check Msg #33325 - I think someone

posted there about it - in extensive detail...or search here...

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/31/11 4:33pm
Msg #370744

Re: Marie..check Msg #33325 - I think someone

Thank you Linda!

Reply by Cari on 1/31/11 12:32pm
Msg #370681

Geez that's cheap...how many pages for each closing? n/m

Reply by Stoli on 1/31/11 1:06pm
Msg #370704

$.12 only applies if docs are e-mailed to FedEx or on disk. n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/31/11 2:32pm
Msg #370732

Re:Privacy

It's interesting that many of you raised the privacy issue. When I worked for that odious Nations Signature Closers in Kansas (note past tense, thank gawd!) they were casting about to go ever cheaper and worked out some deal with FedEx/Kinkos. Kinko would print two sets of docs, and the notary was expected to pick them up before the signing. Besides the headaches this caused the notary - an extra stop always in high traffic areas, usually out of the way (despite NSC saying "It's soooo close" and the docs were never ready, etc etc . Point is anybody at Kinkos had access to countless loans - and probably still does. Wonder how the borrowers would feel about that? Wonder how the lenders would feel about that because their tie would be in a GLBA wringer if NSC ever got them in trouble.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 2:46pm
Msg #370737

Didn't someone once post that they got there and

someone's loan docs were laying on the counter for all the world to see?

I'm assuming NSC dropped that practice..

Reply by Louisiana33 on 1/31/11 2:58pm
Msg #370739

Re:Privacy

I thought about that, too. When I got there, the docs were boxed up and waiting for me behind the counter. I would also think privacy would be an issue for someone who printed the docs at work, especially when a network printer is involved.

That was my first time in over 5 years using the service and thanks to the advice I got here about printing in my car, it may have been my last.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/31/11 2:49pm
Msg #370738

I love FedEx

Granted, I don't accept eDocs and I get a 20% discount because I'm a Florida Registered Paralegal.

I do teach notary classes and give each student a big packet of information that totals about 60 pages, which I have printed at FedEx Office. The last time I had them printed I printed 10 of them (so about 600 pages), and the total was a little less than $40.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 1/31/11 3:12pm
Msg #370740

Now granted the last time I visited a KINKOS/FedX to print out docs related to a closing was well over 2 years ago. I had my laptop and used their wifi network to print out the docs in the store. Even then I had reservations due to the incompetency of the staff. The staff there had problems figuring out the network connections; they didn't know how to help me choose the right printer that had the paper size I needed for dual tray printing two sets at once. Their solution was to print out one set and then copy the second set on a copier. I ended up figuring out how to run the printer from their WIFI network on my own. I haven't been back to that location since then.

As far as remote printing, the last time I sent documents to them for remote printing was over 5 years ago. But even then, I experienced issues because of my request to print ASAP so sales rep could pick up the print job that day. I was told my print job wouldn't be ready for at least 6-8 hours (if I was lucky) because it was in a queue and there were other print jobs ahead of me and limited staff to complete the print jobs. Luckily one of the managers stepped in and was able to shuffle things to where my job was completed in about 4 hours.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.