Notary Rotary
Re CA SOS and Notary Journal one line per notarization
Notary Discussion History

Re CA SOS and Notary Journal one line per notarization
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by davidK/CA on 1/2/11 9:43pm
Msg #366792

Re CA SOS and notary journal one line per notarization

At the risk of having my Commission revoked for pointing this out but my wife just received her paperwork to complete her CA NP renewal. Included along with her Commission and "Certificate Of Authorization To Manufacture Notary Public Seals" was the "Notary Public Oath And Certificate of Filing". The form has the following form ID: Sec/State NP 18 (Rev 1/05)

An aside to non-CA Notaries Public:

In California" in addition to the application process, there is also
(1) a 3 or 6 hour Notary Law Class,
(2) passing the Notary Public exam,
(3) submit Live Scan fingerprints to be sent to the California Depart of Justice and the FBI to review the applicant's criminal history,
(4) you have to file an "Oath of Office" with the County Clerk.

To have your seal manufactured by an authorized seal maker you must present the original
"Certificate Of Authorization To Manufacture Notary Public Seals".

So after all these requirements the "Oath of Office" form to be presented to the County Clerk contains an out of date Jurat Language stating:

"Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this ____ day of ________________, 20_____".

The approved (and mandatory language) is actually:
"Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this _____ day of _______, 20__,
by _______________________, proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be
the person(s) who appeared before me."

Based on the above obvious error by the SOS I would assume that the SOS likely will not make an attempt to enforce the "one line per notarization activity" rule. Then again maybe when my commission is revoked for pointing out this error I may be proved wrong.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/2/11 9:53pm
Msg #366795

This isn't new... many counties have that on the oath of office form. I found it pretty ironic myself.

I was told that it "didn't apply" to county government forms. I have no clue as to why, or any of their reasoning behind it...

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/3/11 3:13am
Msg #366804

I suspect the real reason is that redoing these types of things is a low priority when it comes to doling out meager funds in the state budget.

Have to say, though, that I DO find it a bit amusing... Wink

Reply by Isabel/CA on 1/3/11 12:10pm
Msg #366839

That is hilarious.

I especially love the "it doesn't apply to us" mentality. Nice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.