Notary Rotary
Rec'vd my new state ID card
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by LKT/CA on 1/26/11 7:25pm
Msg #370206

In CA, one can have both a driver's license and state ID card.

Photo is bigger than usual. Birthdate is on the ID 4 times - it is on the actual photo and raised....it is by the 2nd mini photo and raised, it is typed in red in the middle and it's on the back of the ID sideways - and it's raised too.

The ID number is on the front in red and microscopically on the back at the top. Microscopically means the font is probably a - 10...that's minus ten. My signature is raised and on the front AND on the back at the bottom. There's a holligram of the letters "DMV" over the ID number. The seal is halfway over the photo and ID info.

The issue date is on the front - twice. The back has a bar code, magnetic strip and something that looks like the part of a lotto scratcher card where you use a coin to scrub off and see what's under it.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/26/11 8:45pm
Msg #370209

I'm surprised you can have both a D/L and an ID card

They used to allow us to have both in Florida, but due to new Real ID regulations they are no longer allowing it. I thought Real ID was being enacted in almost all states. I know some states refused to honor it, maybe California was one of them.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/26/11 9:25pm
Msg #370210

What is the purpose of having both? n/m

Reply by John Schenk on 1/26/11 10:22pm
Msg #370215

Wondered the same thing.

I thought state issued IDs were for folks that couldn't drive. No DL, get an ID card. DL jerked, get an ID card. What is she not telling us? LOL JUST KIDDING! Don't understand the ID situation there. I'm sure there is a reason for it, and would like to know what it is.

Congrats on getting one though! Went to DPS and did a change of address about a month ago. Still haven't gotten my new license with my more beautiful image of me on it without my beard. LOL We can change addresses for DLs online, unless you have a commercial facet to your DL. I don't have a commercial CDL license, but due to the ranch I still have a DL that allows me to drive semis to, for instance, run up to Colorado and pick me up a load of alfalfa to bring home and feed the cows. Haven't done that in years since they figured out that wheat hay, properly raised and cut at the right time, can have as much protein content as alfalfa hay has. Probably need to get that off my license. Would have saved me about 45 minutes at DPS about a month ago.

Other than that, IDs are for kids here (fake ones are the ones they like the best), or for those that have no license. It seems duplicitous to me to have both a license and a state issued ID, for folks like us. Always like learning new things. TIA! Hope you SMILED on your pic! :0

JJ :-D

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/26/11 10:36pm
Msg #370216

I used to have both until they stopped allowing it

It was actually nice because I could leave the ID card in my checkbook for writing checks. You could also leave your driver license in your car at all times and just carry the ID card. When I had both they had the same ID number and expiration date. It's a shame they won't let us have both anymore, but I now have a US passport card which I always carry as secondary ID.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/26/11 10:49pm
Msg #370219

Re: I used to have both until they stopped allowing it

The passport card is a great Idea. I know that the Feds will allow you to have both the paper passport and the card at the same time.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/11 6:39pm
Msg #370277

Here's the reason.....

Years ago, when I'd go walking for exercise, I would take my driver's license - I always wanted to have ID with me. The problem was that I'd forget to put the license back in my wallet. Kind of embarassing to be at the bank counter with no ID...and realize you left it in the "other" pants pocket.

So I got a state ID card to take with me walking or bike riding and the license stays in my wallet.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/26/11 10:48pm
Msg #370218

There's also a laser perforation of the state bear if you hold it up to a light.

I don't know about anyone else, but having an ID card in CA is helpful as a backup if something is lost or stolen. It takes so FREAKING long to get one here that it's simply a good idea to have a photo ID. One can still drive with the temporary paper license if they have one, but it doesn't serve as ID, which you often need in this state. Plus, the ID card is valid for 6-10 years...whereas the DL is only valid for 3-4, depending on your situation.

Also, a situation I see a LOT is when I'm called to the hospital. A person was just in an accident and their car is in the impound/tow lot. In order for a family member/friend get it out, they have to have a notarized letter from the owner. Well, that becomes a real issue when the officer takes the DL away... or loses it. The CHP is pretty bad about this. If the officer feels, for any reason, that the person involved in the accident should not have been driving, they will seize the license and have it mailed back to the DMV in Sacramento. I see this happen with seniors all the time. In some cases, they've "held it" for safekeeping... and then nobody can find it.

Having a backup ID card really helps solve a lot of that.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/27/11 5:25am
Msg #370225

Since they apparently upgraded their equipment

They should have also made it possible to get your license printed while you wait like they do in Florida.

But then again, everything is much better in Florida Smile

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/26/11 10:57pm
Msg #370220

I have one of each as permitted in IL. Carry my DL and

leave ID at home as a "just in case" Mostly use it when I fly.
Only cost $5 and good for eight year vs 4 for DL. If over 65 , free and good forever,
Same #s as DL, but in different order. DL has first letter of your last name as first character,
and ID has letter as last character.
Looks the same as DL except for color scheme and has same info as DL.

Reply by Cari on 1/28/11 10:25am
Msg #370329

whups..just read your post Bob...sorry for double post... n/m

Reply by Cari on 1/28/11 10:22am
Msg #370328

geez...dob 4 times?? holy cow...we can have both here...

and the driver's license is the same number as the id only with the dl, the first initial of the person's last name is first like mine is R160......

for married couples there numbers are somewhat similar, with the last few digits changed...

but the dob, issue and expiration date only listed once, and under our picture we have our scribbled sigs...

much better design from the old one...we have a hollographic seal to.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.