Notary Rotary
Remind me again why I do this job????
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Bravo on 1/25/11 1:00am
Msg #369972

This was a new one for me tonight. I was hired by a SS, docs were sent directly to buyer, arrived at the home to discover that the signer had gone through the entire package, signed everything, mixed up the order of docs, took out duplicate copies of some of the docs, sticky noted everything she thought I was supposed to sign, generally made a mess of the entire package and then tried to tell me how to complete my acknowledgements. I took great pleasure in having her re-sign her docs in front of me and showing her all the documents that needed notarizations that she had missed "marking for me" and then in explaining to her that I was sent to her home in the capacity of a Notary Signing Agent, meaning that it was my responsibility to verify her identity, make sure her package was signed and initialed accurately and all necessary documents were notarized with the correct notarial wording on them. She looked at me throughout my explanation as if I had four heads. Then she refused to allow me to take the docs with me to courier back to escrow. Said that she would find a more suitable courier than the one they suggested she use. I'm taking four Motrins and an ice pack to bed...

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/25/11 2:39am
Msg #369973

Man oh man. Document that file, and know that some

things are out of our control.

Sympathies, and sweet dreams, you did your job.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/25/11 7:38am
Msg #369977

Periodically, we all need one from hello to remind us of all the great ones - a little contrast gives great stories.

You have everyone's sympathies I'm sure.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/25/11 8:19am
Msg #369981

My sympathies....

I once thought I'd like to write a book ....My Life as a Notary Signing Agent. LOL!

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/25/11 9:03am
Msg #369983

Re: My sympathies....

I hope you had a great night sleep..You deserved it! We all have encountered these messes..luckily they are not the norm!

Reply by LeeH/IN on 1/25/11 9:33am
Msg #369990

This is why I don't like docs sent to the borrower. Never had one quite this bad--yet!

Reply by 101livescan on 1/25/11 9:34am
Msg #369991

Thankfully, most clients will wait for us. But I had one yesterday for a Washington DC attorney who lives part time in Santa Barbara. He had to review the entire package before he would let me have a look at it. It was a Citimortgage, no brainer, nonetheless since it was a five year fixed int only adjustable loan, he was compelled to read it before agreeing to sign it. He was a speed reader or I would have had to fling him from the balcony overlooking the blue pacific.

Some signers are less maintenance than others. I was out of there in 45 minutes. It could have been worse. When he asked if I would like something to drink, I said water, please. He said nothing else. I told him I can't drink on the job, and he laughed, so I guess I broke the ice a little, and we both relaxed a little more.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/25/11 12:12pm
Msg #370006

I also had one this morning where the borrower would not let his wife ask questions or, for that matter, even talk during the closing. He just tried to take over the entire thing right from the beginning. He also tried to grab the package and stated he wanted to review everything before signing. I told him that I initially would review all the terms of the loan with them prior to signing and I had to keep control of the situation before it got out of hand. By the way, he kept reminding me during the closing that he was pretty high up on the corporate ladder and did not let anyone get over on him. Meanwhile, his wife sat there meekly and didn't say a word. He even told here where to sign her name. At the end we left on a hand shake and smile as I thought I was lucky he couldn't read what was going on in my mind.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/25/11 12:30pm
Msg #370011

Just thought of one other thing. This "corporate giant" signed all docs with his "Mont Blanc" pen and went on to tell me that in the corporate world it's very important to attend meetings with your "Mont Blanc" as well as to wear an expensive watch.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/25/11 1:31pm
Msg #370030

Ah, yes, one of ~those~ folks. His poor wife, what a

dismal life she must lead.

Reply by Cari on 1/25/11 1:16pm
Msg #370023

WOAH....that must have totally sucked! My condolences.... n/m

Reply by Sha/CA on 1/25/11 2:37pm
Msg #370038

Re: WOAH....that must have totally sucked! My condolences....

And, that is the reminder of why I love this job! I am so happy to be where I am, have the ability to reject or accept what I do for others. Just to have the contrast of one other lifestyle, like that, reminds me how fortunate I am to be here with you other SA, in our corner of the world. I'm glad you only had to deal with them for a short time in your life. Aren't you glad he is not your brother-in-law!

Reply by Doris_CO on 1/25/11 3:13pm
Msg #370044

Re: WOAH....that must have totally sucked! My condolences....

"Aren't you glad he is not your brother-in-law!" ROFL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.