Notary Rotary
Shipping woes...
Notary Discussion History

Shipping woes...
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 1/20/11 7:26pm
Msg #369475

Shipping woes...

So, I had a package that was signed at noon required to shipped same day via USPS Express Mail for delivery tomorrow. I pulled up the USPS website for shipping commitment times, and was directed to a particular post office and told as long as I dropped it off by 3:20pm, it would be delivered tomorrow by noon. Great. I printed it out... and glad that did, too.

I get to the post office listed at about 3:00. The lines is super long... but I wait. My turn comes up at 3:15 and I'm told, rather rudely, that that particular office doesn't accept outgoing mail -- they are pick-up only, particularly for international packages and business mail.

I showed them the print out from the website, and I swear... they looked at me like *I* was the idiot. The lady said, "Well, that's wrong. What am I supposed to do? I can put it on our outgoing truck at 5:00, but I can't scan it or give you a receipt or guarantee."

So I ask where I *can* go to get this out in time. They tell me about another one about 2 miles away... but said their cut-off time was 3:20. At that point is was 3:25.

The lady says, "You can have it back if you want... FedEx closes at 6:00." Yeah, thanks lady... I know that. The problem is that this bank requires USPS shipping to a specific USPS only delivery address.

And I kid you not, she said, "Well, sucks to be you, then."

I called USPS customer service and got a similar chilly, idiotic reception. The guy said, "Well, it's an Express... and we'll get it there as soon as possible, but there's no guarantee. I told him I have the printout of the guarantee from online directing me to that particular post office by 3:20... and he said he'd "note the case so their web technicians could correct the issue."

Then I asked what they were going to do to help me out.

He said, "There's nothing we can do, ma'am. We'll do our job and deliver the package when we can. Why are you so upset?"

I hate to be mean, but is there a maximum IQ level at which point you no longer qualify to work for the post office?

I called the bank and told them what happened, and faxed over the web page printout. They said they'd take care of it for me, and it clearly wasn't my fault. That's nice of them. But holy moly... what a nightmare.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/20/11 7:42pm
Msg #369481

What an ordeal, Marian. I think many of us have heard horror stories about the USPS in recent years. The attitudes are unbelievable. We also have to hear about the USPS losing money & needing to increase postage, etc. IMO it is indicative of a breakdown of just one of many systems in our country. I can remember when those jobs were coveted "civil service" jobs., good pay, benefits, retirement benefits, etc. It baffles me to know WTH has happened??????? Frown

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/20/11 7:47pm
Msg #369483

I hate to be mean, but is there a maximum IQ level at which point you no longer qualify to work for the post office?

I guess not. Sad you had to go through this. Really, when did the post office become a joke, this is a real question to those old enough to remember when it wasn't. I'm 40-50ish and it's always been a joke when someone worked for the postal service but was there ever a time that it was a job to
'have' ?

Reply by John Schenk on 1/20/11 7:49pm
Msg #369485

Ask Cliff Clayborne! He was a prime example, wasn't he? LOL J/K

Cheers!

JJ

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/20/11 7:55pm
Msg #369486

Yes...there was a time..

My husband retired 5 years ago after 30 years as a letter carrier - when he first started there it was one of the premier jobs to have - right up there with working for the utilities, etc...

The stories I could tell you about management - or lack thereof...it's sad...and it's going to get worse because they ARE losing money thanks to the internet. Honestly, how many of you out there buy stamps any more? Or use conventional mail methods - everything is on the internet...

And Marian - the attitude you saw from that clerk, though IMO inexcusable, is rampant throughout the industry - they're disgusted - they're harassed, pushed to the brink, etc etc... she should have called a supervisor over to help you - I'm sure they could have figured something out - if not...go to the postmaster...

You may want to report this to the postal inspectors....just a thought - I think there's an 800 number for them. I know if it was me *I'd* report that office - let them look into it.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/20/11 8:12pm
Msg #369491

Re: Yes...there was a time..

My letter carrier told me he is allotted seven seconds to deliver mail at each listed address. I asked him if that was why he was walking across my lawn, he answered yes, his supervisor told him to do it to save time. I told him to have his supervisor fill out his disability claim form it he did it one more time.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/20/11 8:22pm
Msg #369492

Have to put it in writing - otherwise they are instructed

to cut lawns to cut time -

Reply by jba/fl on 1/21/11 6:29am
Msg #369503

Re: Have to put it in writing - otherwise they are instructed

Who wants a path across their lawn if they didn't put it there? I would be very irked.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/21/11 6:40am
Msg #369506

I know..I understand..and I agree..but it is what it is

The carriers HAVE to cut every "corner" possible - and they're instructed to cut lawns. Don't blame the carrier - if (s)he doesn't do what (s)he's told and a supervisor does a road inspection on them (which they do) and sees them not cutting lawns, etc., (s)he'll get written up and possibly suspended.

If you want the carrier to stay off your lawn, or want any other changes to the way your mail is delivered which deviate from the procedure the carrier is forced to follow, the only way to change it is (a) put it in writing; or (b) stop delivery and make arrangements to pick your mail up at the post office.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/21/11 7:50am
Msg #369511

Re: I know..I understand..and I agree..but it is what it is

My mailbox is on the street - there is no house delivery in the county that I know of. I like the idea of all mailboxes for an area in a central location, but don't want for myself now. Anyway, I don't have anyone cutting across my grass or through my hedges, but can sympathize to a degree.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/21/11 8:21am
Msg #369513

That's why now..they gotta go around the roses n/m

Reply by taxpro on 1/21/11 2:09pm
Msg #369567

Re: Yes...there was a time..

..."it's going to get worse because they ARE losing money thanks to the internet. Honestly, how many of you out there buy stamps any more? Or use conventional mail methods - everything is on the internet..."

I agree - a lot of people have quit mailing stuff thanks to the internet. Then WHY is my mailbox more stuffed than ever, every day, with all this trash and propaganda that goes straight to the recycling bin?

We have one of those community mailboxes, about 12 homes per large box, each individual box is locked with a key. Much more efficient for the letter carrier. She hardly ever has to get out of her truck, except when delivering a large package, express or certified mail. It's fine, except that it's halfway down the street - about 6 houses away. I can go days without remembering to pick up the mail.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/21/11 6:44pm
Msg #369602

I know the post offices you are talking about

I had to take my son in law over to your neck of the woods to pick up some vital records at the recorder's office. Then had to mail them in a similar manner. Went to a post office that was pick up only, of course, we didn't know that. No sign anywhere saying that, I guess we were just suppose to know that already. Had to take it to the other post office where the lines were out the doors, and get this, it was near closing time and they were just going to lock the doors and the people on the outside waiting in line were told that they would have to come back the next day. We were inside waiting when a couple of clerks just closed their windows and when people in line protested the clerks said "Sorry, time to go home." They very nearly had a riot, one person was so afraid, she dialed 911. Cops came and when they were told what happened, one came inside and said to a person person who appeared to be in charge "You're kidding, right?

I don't know who the police called and talked to, but very shortly, those clerks came back out, opened up and started working at a faster pace. Now if they had only worked the last couple of hours of their shift at that speed, there would have not been an issue as there would have not been lines.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/22/11 7:04am
Msg #369621

All I can say is: ***WOW!!!***

However, I bet that the clerks at the window have been previously instructed to do just that - close their window at 5 PM sharp because USPS probably doesn't allow overtime. But still, UNBELIEVABLE! We have an inept post office here, too, but so far I don't have any horror stories!

Reply by James Dawson on 1/20/11 8:07pm
Msg #369488

Wow Marian..sorry it happened but I can understand why although it is not fair to put anyone through this.

As you know Marian I'm a "process" person so knowing that UPS contracts to the USPS, this didn't just happen without reason. The USPS employees don't want to "handle" the UPS priority shipping because it requires additional work. Also USPS employees don't get the same wage benefits as UPS employees so they don't want to do "their" jobs (we know what that means) and could care less. Vice versa UPS employees stick their noise up at the USPS employees. It's the same story for FedEx versa FedEx kinko shipping centers/employees.

The UPS Store I use to frequent changed owners for the new years and it has gone from a stella service example to the pits. I use to drop off my packages and get a receipt in less then two minutes. Now the same store doesn't even want to handle my drop off because I didn't buy anything from them. He actually told me that. As the world turns my sister, sadly.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/20/11 8:11pm
Msg #369489

Big difference in how these cos. operate, too. Fedex pays a small fee ($1.00) for pkgs. they pick up at the stores, while UPS does not. I can't blame them for handling pkgs. where they aren't making any money.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/20/11 11:18pm
Msg #369497

The post office is pitiful and always seems to be operating in the red....they could raise the price of postage tomorrow to $5 per stamp and STILL be operating in the red. Wonder what salaries the executives and postmaster general are making?

I'm sure they have their 6 weeks paid vacation, car allowance, stock options, bonuses, Las Vegas junkets, front parking spot.....ecetera, ecetera, and so forth.

Reply by xyz32 on 1/21/11 3:42am
Msg #369499

sorry to hear that ! i have been having trouble too with USPS... I almost always refuse to use it. Lucky I live in Hawaii and anyone who hires me understand they have to use FedEx Smile

Reply by CF on 1/21/11 7:24am
Msg #369509

I love how I am paying their salary....

and they abuse the customers (employers)! Lets face it people....we are the ones that pay their salary and giving them benefits that many self employed people do not even have. This is the treatment we take for it.

At my local post office the abuse and attitude is so bad...that I do not go there. After an unfortunate run-in with the manager on duty while I was trying to get my held mail after a vacation.....I was told that I had to produce 2 forms of picture ID or go home and get a utility bill. All the while....there was utility bills with my name on them being held hostage. It is times like this that I have to realize that most/some people are incapable of making a rational decision.

After getting my mail released to me....I made a point to let all the people know at the post office that day that I was paying their wage and only in America can you pay such a high price for abuse.

It is like being a foreign land....you may not make it out of there!!!! I have never stepped foot in that facility again and go several miles out of my way to go to a decent post office where the employees have opposable thumbs and walk upright. I am not asking for too much....just common decent human treatment.

Reply by Cari on 1/21/11 10:34am
Msg #369524

I think they are 'bred' that way...'cause my mailman is the

absolute WORST. He is rude, never says hello to anyone, even if you are standing right in front of him! I live in a 2 flat building with three apartments, bsmt, 1st & 2nd. And we have our own separate mailboxes, clearly marked who lives where including floor numbers.

But that doesn't matter because our postman is frickin' lazy, an idiot or both! He ALWAYS puts everyone's mail in the building, in OUR mail box. We even receive mail from our next door neighbors on each side of our building, AND across the street. Luckily we have been living in the neighborhood for a long long time so we know everyone. On our block party days, when he passes by, everyone sort of glowers at him...when we first moved their, I wondered why their was a hush as he approached, but learned very quickly why!

Its like he's has dyslexia or brain fartS 24/7! Isn't illegal to handle someone else's mail when your not a federal postal worker? On top of all of this, he collects cans, empties them, smashes them, then puts them in the SAME BAG WITH THE MAIL! Disgusting!

Anyway, like I said, some of these postal workers I swear are bred in the hills of stupidville, then trained by martian morans!

Reply by bob/IA on 1/21/11 10:48am
Msg #369527

Re: I think they are 'bred' that way...'cause my mailman is the

I would complain to his supervisor.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/21/11 10:49am
Msg #369528

Re: I think they are 'bred' that way...'cause my mailman is the

Cari...If a neighbor's dog is out (no pitbulls here) he will NOT deliver mail to anyone on the block, both sides of the street. Those of us that don't have pets are being held hostage by the postal worker hoping we'll become disgruntled at our neighbors, NOT! We chase him down on his route and ask for our mail, while eating one of his two lunches. LOL

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/21/11 11:55am
Msg #369534

I'm the odd out here. I LOVE my mail carrier. He is very

nice. If I have a pkg being delivered, he brings it to my door, and brings the rest of the mail with it. He pets my dog, talks to me all the time. If I am expecting something, I can call the post office and he will leave it at the front counter for me to pick up since he doesn't deliver to my house till after 3. I also have a PO box, so I am at the post office everyday for my hubby's business stuff. I am also friends with our postmaster, so I get what I want, when I want. lol
The only problem I have is with the cleaning man they have there. He is the most rude, stupid person on this earth. He mops over your shoes if you are in there, vacums right in front of you and you can't hear anything. I don't understand why this has to be done during business hours. This cleaning should be done after hours IMO. The postmaster and I have gone round and round about this.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/21/11 12:12pm
Msg #369539

Re: I'm the odd out here. I LOVE my mail carrier. He is very

Maybe the cleaning man is an alien? (man in black)

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/22/11 12:30pm
Msg #369641

I get frustrated with the p.o. here but I have known

very fine postal workers in my life. My mother-in-law was a midnight sorter for years; she retired well. Some of the mail carriers are very nice; some are maybe very overworked because of cutbacks over the last few years.

I knew that there were problems when they came out with the Forever Stamps...by low, use high so they could bring in a little income.

In my mom's town, the USPS is about to consolidate three small towns' P.O.s. I think that mail service will still happen at each, but we'll see. If they shut down any of those small down offices, a lot of seniors will really have trouble.

I know that 'we' can get our stamps online and so forth, but there's a world of ladies and gentlemen who need the person-to-person assistance. Wonderful generation of people of great character...I hate to see them forced into technology at a time that they really should not have to learn it.

Reply by Mary Ellen Elmore on 1/24/11 8:42pm
Msg #369954

Verbatim, copy and paste from the USPS Website:
"THE MATERIALS IN THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, THE POSTAL SERVICE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES , EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE POSTAL SERVICE DOES NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT THE INFORMATION IS ACCURATE OR RELIABLE OR THAT THE SITE WILL BE FREE OF ERRORS OR VIRUSES. "

I had a local post office that used to refuse shipping labels printed from the USPS Website for Priority Mail. Very nice, older lady insisted that I was using a rogue site unawares that the USPS did not sale anything online that it was an information site only.

Called the Postmaster General's office and apparently they called or something because the next time I went in to buy stamps she apologized.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.