Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Sort of O/T, iPhone users, careful what you ask for ....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Glenn Strickler on 1/11/11 6:50pm
Msg #368130

Today's announcement of iPhone being available to Verizon users beginning February 10 has people jumping up and down because if At&t's poor service (depending on area).

In PC magazine, I was reading an interesting article about the two carriers. Sorry I can't find a link to it. But the part that stood out to me was this. While the two carriers are very close in the numbers of customers, Verizon's data load is less than 1/2 that of At&t's due to the iPhones and iPads that are connected to At&t's network.

What does this mean? In my opinion, before anyone jump's networks, perhaps a waiting period might be in order to see just how well Verizon's engine pulls a longer train. By the same token, there will be those who's contract is up, or just don't want to wait who will be jumping off of At&t's overloaded train and there may just be enough of a change to speed up one train while bogging down another.

Those contemplating a change perhaps should wait for a few months to see how things shake out.

Just an opinion. However you decide, I would not buy my way out of a contract to change. Wait until it's up.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/11/11 6:54pm
Msg #368132

It's not just that. Verizon's CDMA network means that the iPhones won't operate quite the same.

This article does a good job of explain it:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/11/technology/verizon_iPhone/

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/12/11 2:08pm
Msg #368252

Marian, Who is your carrier?

Was just curious, since the area we service may overlap on my western flank. I thought about jumping ship a couple of times, but I have found that in a couple of areas to my east, At&t is the only service working due to them still having the contract for the highway call boxes on the back roads, a left over from LA Cellular. Then some of my Verizon friends are always complaining about minute overages. I like my roll over minutes. But, at times, I curse the service. Is the grass greener?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/12/11 4:50pm
Msg #368284

Sprint n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/11/11 7:17pm
Msg #368139

Speaking of AT&T

*At&t's poor service (depending on area).*

Try Houston, Texas. That's right, Houston, of all places--downtown, no less.

I pulled into midtown at precisely 3:35 pm on Christmas Eve. I went to my son's gated apt. community and called him. No answer. I texted him. No reply. For 20 minutes I texted and called. A neighbor let me into the gate. When I got to his door, he was worried about me because I was supposed to be there at 3:30. His phone had not rung once, and not a single text came through. About 30 minutes later, the message I left and the texts went through.

That's not the only time it has been like that. AT&T does not work well (read "sucks") in the center of Houston, Texas. That's pathetic.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 1/12/11 7:20am
Msg #368181

Re: Speaking of AT&T

Thankfully here in Southern PA and the Greater Baltimore that almost never happens.

Reply by MarieG/CA on 1/12/11 1:42pm
Msg #368246

Re: Speaking of AT&T

I've been wanting to get an iPhone since they first came out, but I've had AT&T before and I figured, "what's the point of having a great phone if the reception sucks?" So I am thrilled about the iPhone/Verizon news since I already have Verizon. I'm getting my iPhone early on 02/04/11 for being a loyal Verizon customer Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.