Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by anotaryinva on 1/15/11 6:40pm
Msg #368839

The 'email' I got from NNA

I didn't want to copy and paste but, here it is

HELP DEFEND THE NOTARY OFFICE
BY SPEAKING OUT AGAINST SB 827

Dear Amy A. Tatusko,

Reliable protection for consumers afforded by the work of Virginia’s Notaries Pubic could become a thing of the past — and contribute further to the country’s foreclosure problems that are being abetted by “robo-signers” — if a Virginia Senate bill is allowed to become law.

We are asking for your immediate help in speaking out against — and helping us defeat — SB 827, which would allow electronic notarizations to be performed via video conference technology without the document signer appearing personally and physically before the Notary. The proposed measure would remove badly needed protection to Virginia’s consumers and would make your job as a Notary more unnecessarily complex and confusing.

This bill would cripple and diminish the Notary office in Virginia and set a precedent for its destruction across the nation by taking away the Notary’s ability to screen a signer in person for identity, willingness and basic understanding of the document.

This legislation also would endanger distressed homeowners facing foreclosure by making it easier for “robo-signers” to electronically sign foreclosure affidavits that could evict them from their homes.

SB 827 also would establish two completely different sets of identification and recordkeeping standards as a Notary and electronic Notary. It will make your job far more complex by requiring you to archive large video files of the notarizations you perform via Web camera.

I urge you to take action against this ill-advised bill by sending emails of opposition to Senator Henry L. Marsh, III, chairman of the Senate Courts of Justice Committee hearing this bill; Senator John S. Edwards, sponsor of the bill; and to the Senator who represents your district. It will take just a few minutes to follow the instructions below. If you know other Notaries who would like to get involved, please feel free to forward this communication to them.

Sincerely,

Michael Robinson
Executive Director

The NNA recommends that you voice your opposition via email to:

1) Senator Henry L. Marsh III
Chairman of the Virginia Senate Courts of Justice Committee
Email: [e-mail address]

2) Senator John S. Edwards (Sponsor of SB 827)
Email: [e-mail address]

2) The Virginia Senator that represents your district. Find your Senator’s e-mail address.

For your convenience, we have provided bullet points below which you may use in creating your emails. Please send an email to each Senator individually and do NOT Cc: the NNA. Time is short and you must act now before the Courts of Justice Committee hears the bill within the next few days.

START YOUR EMAIL WITH THIS ADDRESS:

To: the Honorable Senator _______________,
Re: Senate Bill 827

COVER THESE POINTS IN YOUR OWN WORDS:

* This bill is a threat to consumer protection by enabling the “robo-signing” of electronic documents outside of the presence of the Notary as we have seen in the foreclosure crisis.
* This legislation would severely weaken the trust and integrity of the Notary office in Virginia and it will prevent Notaries from carrying out the important fraud-fighting functions that they have been sworn to perform.
* I will not be able to confidently determine that a document signer is who they say they are, that they signed the document willingly, and that they are aware of its contents by notarizing via video conference.
* This confusing legislation would require me to follow two completely different sets of identification and recordkeeping standards — one for paper-based notarizations, the other for electronic notarizations.

If you would like to be removed from this distribution, please click here. If your need for Notary news and information changes in the future, you are always welcome to visit NationalNotary.org to reactivate your subscription.

©2011 National Notary Association. All rights reserved.
9350 De Soto Ave., Chatsworth, CA 91311-4926
1-800-US NOTARY (1-800-876-6827) | Fax: 1-800-833-1211

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/15/11 7:08pm
Msg #368841

Video notarizing will just open the floodgates for fraud. People could be on the video in disguises - wigs, fake mustaches or beards, wear theatrical makeup....men could dress up as women, women could dress up as men on the video - basically anybody could be anyone OTHER than who they really are - all for obviously fraudulent purposes. On another note, people trying to nullify or cancel transactions can lie and CLAIM that someone else was in the room, outside of the video screen view, holding a gun, knife, baseball bat, taser, etc., and forced them to sign.

The scam artists will just take a photo of themselves in their disguise and photo-shop that on to a legitimate ID and put that online. No one will be the wiser until the victim is wiped out monetarily or the victim is arrested for some crime they never committed because the identity thief continued using the victim's ID for their crime sprees and racked up charges all over the country.

I've read stories where a person (a victim of identity theft) is pulled over for a routine traffic stop and then gets arrested when their ID is run - because the identity thief committed crimes and racked up tickets that turned to warrants. Now the identity theft victim is in jail for offenses committed by the imposter.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/15/11 7:49pm
Msg #368849

Re: The 'email' I got from NNA...to add. n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/15/11 7:50pm
Msg #368850

Sorry, hit enter too soon...to add...

With video notarizing, there would be an exponential increase in elder abuse.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/16/11 1:23am
Msg #368867

Re: Sorry, hit enter too soon...to add...

Not to mention video recording you child's birth and using it as a birth certificate or proof of birth (your child) when the child reaches 21. ROFLMAO

Reply by F2F/FL on 1/16/11 7:23am
Msg #368869

Re: So are we all in agreeance are we

going to write to these senetors or not. This whole issue needs to be knipped in the bud so we can get on to other conversations and stop doing advertisment for notary now. We all know they are just sitting back lovin it.

Reply by jnew on 1/16/11 3:57pm
Msg #368888

This matter is disturbing. I am not an attorney, so I don't know if this law is constitutional, but I would hope the law will not be enacted to replace personal appearance. It seems that there is a movement in this country to re-define the law. For my money, the law can be interpreted but should not allow itself to be changed by a re-definition. In essence, the re-definition is changing the law by saying you are not changing it. To me, it is using semantics and sophistry to create a false logic. I hope this law goes down in flames.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.