Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
This is what it's come to?? A little bit of a rant...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 1/29/11 1:42am
Msg #370491

I printed out a rather large package earlier and when I was doing my usual scroll through, I noticed at least 10 different pages that were literally nothing more than reminders or instructions about having the borrower sign "and date" the next page or that it needed to be notarized. I imagine that each sheet represents common mistakes or omissions that they have had to deal with in the past. Very sad!

So we end up having to burn through that many more toner-intensive pages, further chipping away (admittedly in a small way, but still...) at our profit margins. And I'll bet that some of the ones who cause these extra pages print their documents on the boss's equipment with someone else paying for the toner and paper! Wink

Oh well. I guess it's better that than them leaving out important or useful instructions about something that's unique to a package...

Thanks for putting up with my rant!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/29/11 6:37am
Msg #370496

I just can't help but wonder if the constant chipping away at our fees is responsible for the poor quality work that must have prompted the extra 10 pages of instructions. All these companies want the very best quality notaries but then they offer $75 for a closing with edocs. I have several companies that use me consistently and pay me a good fee, because they know that the package is going to come back error-free. I share your frustration, Janet!

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 1/29/11 10:53am
Msg #370529

I had a new TC call me the other day. Said I come highly recommended....offered me $75.00. My response was you can't drive a Cadillac Escalade for the price of a VW rabbit. Got my fee !

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/29/11 11:40am
Msg #370536

Love it! Great response! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/29/11 6:54am
Msg #370498

I had one the other day too that just set me crazy

A reminder or two I can handle - but throughout the package had me muttering - big bold "borrowers must sign next page", "borrowers must sign here and here", sample pages, then the very last page in big bold "NOTARY!! Check the package before you leave the table!!" Waste of toner

They've substituted big and bold for handholding I guess - sorry to see they have to do that - made me wonder the caliber of notary they've dealt with in the past...

Oh yeah...185 pages...

Reply by James Dawson on 1/29/11 7:45am
Msg #370501

Don't for get the notary information sheet, and notary check off sheet. I understand JanetK. Hey, try sending back a couple of "blank pieces" of paper , maybe they'll spend in hour trying to figure out what to do with it. LOL

Reply by A S Johnson on 1/29/11 9:09am
Msg #370510

I know it's a cost (even though small) to print those reminder pages, BUT it's a lot better than getting those handholding calls.
The pages I want to rant about is the ones which are a NOTICE to make sure all the pages needed for the siging have been recieved and printed or your fee maybe reduced. I have no way of making sure all the pages have been recieved. That is above my pay grade.
The other is the check off list for docs is in the packet. The title of the individual docs are many times not the same as on the check off sheet. My work around is simple, I don't spend the time to do it.

Reply by RonA/CA on 1/29/11 9:47am
Msg #370516

What really gets me (and makes me & the borrowers chuckle) is after a 140 page loan package, at the very end usually on legal size paper in 2" bold print it says......"THIS IS THE LAST PAGE"......duh, like I wouldn't know????? Signing Services always questioning the intelligence level of NSA's.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 1/29/11 5:41pm
Msg #370555

Even funnier is coming to the THIS IS THE LAST PAGE and there's a whole bunch more pages after that!

Reply by jba/fl on 1/30/11 4:52pm
Msg #370604

I use your work around also - so lame on their part. n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/29/11 9:47am
Msg #370517

I agree. SS companies could cut their expenses if they would just pay a fair fee and hire "professionals" instead of searching for the Blue Light Special NSA's IMO.

IMO, putting the instructions on one ONE page in normal type, slightly larger, or bold type is much more professional and respectful to us.

If I catch those type of instruction pages prior to printing, I skip them altogether.

Reply by Jack/AL on 1/29/11 10:51am
Msg #370528

I'll make a wild guess and say that many of us are detailed and meticulous in our work, which is good. Speaking at least for myself, I'll admit that there is some anal retentiveness, also good in some situations. I'm careful to look for special instructions which apply to the signing, and usually read those more than once. Unfortunately, when I realize I'm reading some redundant and idiotic stuff, I have a tendency to do just the opposite and quickly zoom past it. Thus, those useless instructions may have the opposite of the desired outcome and encourage me to skip several pages. One of the most obvious absurdities is the full page with a cutesy policeman (or traffic control person) with raised hand telling me to STOP the signing if the people who are to sign are not present. If any of use couldn't make that determination, we'd never have been able to get into this business. Duh...........

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/29/11 11:01am
Msg #370531

What I hate is the clip-arts....

Don't put in the cute little clip arts to make your idiotic reminders a little less patronizing. I don't see the reminder... I see $0.03 of toner because you didn't hire the right notary before. I'm basically paying for someone's mistake months ago. Likewise, if the FBI could please put their seal on the "FBI warning page" in the loan docs in grayscale or line art, I'd appreciate that. ;-)

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/29/11 11:41am
Msg #370537

Re: What I hate is the clip-arts....

Yes, I am sick of the cop with his hand held up.

Now, in the package of instructions for one specific title company they have a sample of the w9 showing with arrows where should be initialed.

Reply by MichiganAl on 1/29/11 12:58pm
Msg #370541

I don't even notice it anymore

All the bold letter instructions, clip art, arrows pointing to where we're supposed to sign, the page that tells you how to sign the next page, my mind skips right past it all. It's just white noise now. They can put all the condescending flashy instructions they want in there, it's all just blah blah blah in my head. If you can't condense a reasonable set of instruction on one page at the beginning of the package, you're just wasting your time. The more you nag about nonsense, the less I listen.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/30/11 4:56pm
Msg #370606

Likewise....white noise...easy to put self to sleep.

A sleeping notary is not the best choice.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/1/11 2:06am
Msg #370802

Totally agree! It's counter-productive - and wasteful... n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/29/11 10:31pm
Msg #370567

Yes, it is quite sad. A SS I notarized for regularly had not called me in months - no handholding or babysitting on the signings I completed for them in the past. Then after about six months, they called me for a signing for which I accepted. I printed 10 pages of "How To's" with instructions for completing the RTCs, the 1003, the W-9s and a few other forms. It included visual aids of each form with arrows and John Doe and Jane Doe mock signatures.

After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I wondered who on earn they'd hire to complete their signings.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.