Notary Rotary
UPS did not pick up on Thursday in CT
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by TinaCA on 1/30/11 9:16pm
Msg #370613

Did a closing on Wed night. Went to drop the package off at a manned UPS store. When he saw that it needed to be there early am, I took the package back. I called the Title co and told them that it was not going to be delivered the next day due to UPS not picking up due to the snow storm. She told me it needed to be in CA the next day or the rate would expire. I told her that was not my problem. She started yelling at me, saying you mean you are not going to work with me on this? Well being the nice person that I am I ended up driving back home to print out a Fed ex airbill. Because Fed Ex was delivering. Needless to say I was not happy. What would you have done? I always go above and beyond but get the short end of the stick.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/30/11 9:21pm
Msg #370614

I would have done what you did

When UPS advised me they can't fulfill the obligation - call title, let them know what's going on and get alternatives...but be prepared to help them out. I can see where you weren't happy but getting that package shipped is part of the job when you accept the assignment, so yes it is your problem. She could have been nicer and dispensed with the yelling, but some time could also have been saved - she could have given you their FedEx account number over the phone and you could have just gone from one facility to the next without another trip home.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/30/11 9:35pm
Msg #370615

Agree with you Linda

The TC person could have "worked with you" better by just supplying you with the account number so that you would not have had to make extra trips.

While I understand why UPS could not pickup that day, I think this is the year that I am going to encourage ALL my customers to use FedEx. UPS has pulled all the drop boxes out of my city so same day drop offs for UPS will require extra time and charge to the companies that insist on using them in my case. Gas isn't cheap and FedEx has a better record, IMO.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/30/11 9:53pm
Msg #370616

Re: Agree with you Linda

I'd have done the same... called them and offered to ship via FedEx instead. I prefer FedEx anyway, especially in my area where their hub office will take NDA shipments until 6pm. We have a UPS hub, too, but it's not nearly as accessible and the people aren't nearly as helpful.

I try to avoid shipping UPS for loan docs whenever I can.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/31/11 12:31am
Msg #370620

Have I mentioned lately...

...that I would rather disembowel myself than voluntarily use UPS? The only company I have ever encountered with poorer customer service is Best Buy. If I am ever Ruler of the Universe for a year, I am going to see to it that Best Buy gets everything it needs delivered by UPS.

Reply by Daniel Romanello on 1/30/11 10:10pm
Msg #370617

Tina,

I am also a Notary in CT who was the company that you worked for so I know if they call me?

Reply by 101livescan on 1/30/11 10:15pm
Msg #370618

I don't know why UPS is a preferred carrier. Fedex and Ontrac in CA are the best means of shipping. Last month I dropped two packages at a UPS box near Citibank, and UPS failed to make pu's as the box said. The title co called me to find out why I hadn't dropped the package. I finally went to the UPS station and lodged a complaint that the drivers missed this box for pu at the appointed time two weeks in a row.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 1/31/11 1:26am
Msg #370621

2 cents

My personal opinion is that you should have done whatever necessary to make sure that package went out for delivery the next day. And, I agree, UPS has become a very unreliable courier. I cringe when I am advised to use UPS. I always drop UPS packages at a manned station and get a receipt and suggest everyone do the same. It's called CYA.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/31/11 1:35am
Msg #370622

I have watched my favorite UPS shipping location slowly degrade service-wise that the only reason I still go there is because the other locations are even worst. From refusing to assist with putting pre-printed labels in the shipping pouch to telling me I've done it incorrectly. Now they don't want to give me one of there shipping envelope because I'm "just dropping off" and not buying anything. And what makes this even worst is the TC that provides the labels is starting to forget the send them with the loan Docs.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/31/11 6:34am
Msg #370623

Many title companies that were UPS only have now gone on board with FEDEX as well. When I have a choice, it's FEDEX.

Reply by CF on 1/31/11 7:20am
Msg #370625

Don't know why you would have to go back home to print a way bill? You could have easily gotten the information over the phone and "wrote" the way bill yourself. IMO- there was no need for an additional trip back home to print. That does not make any sense to me??

Reply by James Dawson on 1/31/11 8:06am
Msg #370627

some UPS ONLY accept preprinted labels

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 1/31/11 7:41am
Msg #370626

Why they prefer UPS -- $$$$$$$

UPS may be more wiling to offer lower per package rates than FedX. Then there is the thought that Brown is everywhere, or will go everywhere.

Reply by Cari on 1/31/11 8:23am
Msg #370629

I truly hate using UPS in my area...I have to drive out of my way about 5-7 miles instead of the one down the street from my office, because the owner at the other shop is not only much much nicer, but doesn't give me crap if I need a legal sized envelope. The one shop down the street from me says I have to buy something because they don't give those out! WTF?

UPS is unreliable and the staff working at these UPS Shops are less than professional at times...at the ones in my area!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 8:48am
Msg #370630

Just a quick heads-up...it's probably going to happen

again - Midwest & plains first then headed to the northeast...I firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110131/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_weather

Good luck all you folks up there...and stay safe!!

Reply by janCA on 1/31/11 9:33am
Msg #370643

The clerks try to multitask including notarizing...

Went to drop off a loan package a couple of Saturdays ago, I always get a receipt, and this UPS station was quite busy. On the center island, one of the clerks/notary had his journal sitting wide open, along with his stamp and he was behind the counter taking care of other business. I saw him walk over to the gentleman sitting there waiting for this notary to continue their business and the notary apologized and said he'd be right back and then went back behind the counter and continued helping people that were dropping off packages. It was really a zoo. I agree, UPS has too many things going on and their service has fallen way behind Fed Ex.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/31/11 9:45am
Msg #370645

Re: The clerks try to multitask including notarizing...

AND, live scan fingerprinting, which takes 2000% focus and they charge more than other outsourced vendors in town.

Reply by Cari on 1/31/11 12:26pm
Msg #370678

up to 20 inches..supposed to be worse than the blizzard

of 1967....I was here for the blizzard of 1979....snow piled high up to the tip of the Stop signs...I remember me and my bother making tunnels for a whole block long! AHHH those were the dayz...

Reply by John Schenk on 1/31/11 10:06am
Msg #370647

Got popped for a $64.96 UPS fee...

Scratched my account number but they still charged me. It's with Service Link so surely I won't have a problem getting reimbursed for it. Hope not anyway. Glad UPS sends me an email when there's a charge on my account.

JJ

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/31/11 10:08am
Msg #370650

Re: Got popped for a $64.96 UPS fee...

The tracking numbers are associated with your account, so scratching it out does nothing.
Pick 'em up from drop boxes if you can.

Reply by John Schenk on 1/31/11 10:21am
Msg #370653

Re: Got popped for a $64.96 UPS fee...

Always worked with them before. May have to use the blanks from now on.

JJ

Reply by Alz on 1/31/11 11:51am
Msg #370670

A side from the issue with the TC & UPS, you may want to go

directly to Fedex Office to print the label in the future. I've been told that there is no charge to log into your Fedex account to print a label; however, they may charge for the paper.

Reply by ikando on 2/1/11 5:13pm
Msg #370916

Re: A side from the issue with the TC & UPS, you may want to go

I've often wondered why no one uses the post office overnight service. Their ads on TV talk about the flat $4.95 charge up to a high weight. I know the post office is closed after most of our jobs are done, but their box at the post office is always available for dropping. Sure there's no receipt, but what's the difference compared to drop boxes for Fed-X or UPS?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.