Notary Rotary
VA HB2318 (video notarizations) getting ready for a vote
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by anotaryinva on 1/31/11 12:21pm
Msg #370676

They are scheduled to vote on this today. At this time, 1:20pm est, there are two bills in front of it,
I have no idea how long they discuss each bill. If you are interested they are streaming live the session:

http://virginia-house.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=3&event_id=7

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/31/11 12:35pm
Msg #370683

on now n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 12:40pm
Msg #370685

Ugh...

Personally known only huh?

Reply by anotaryinva on 1/31/11 12:42pm
Msg #370687

Really. passed for 3rd reading. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 12:56pm
Msg #370694

IMO the opponents to the bill really need to polish

up their presentation - that one lady could barely read the current notary requirements - the other one hinged on the foreclosure problems throughout the nation...

Love the way the speaker said a bill to amend the procedure for "doing a notary"...LOL

Thanks for the link - that was interesting..

Reply by Les_CO on 1/31/11 1:59pm
Msg #370723

Re: Ugh...

Some time ago I posted this on another board after reading some of the government proposals.
In one described situation I might do it. If the signatory had “personally” appeared before me and provided me with identification/signature acceptable to me at that previous “in-person proofing” and I was SURE it was still the same person, and they were not under duress, then perhaps I would notarize the document.
(But what about identical twins? If Joe and John ‘switched’ ID’s could you tell…. even in person? A fingerprint would tell, but only after the fact?)
How often would that (personally known) happen? In these other cases where some government authority is the “Identification Verification Authority” that asks secrete questions/passwords… WHAT government authority?
They tell me that John Doe is John Doe and not to worry about it….I say let THEM notarize the document, not me!

Reply by MW/VA on 1/31/11 1:07pm
Msg #370706

I sent off an email to my delegates. While this Bill deals

with e-notarization only (treated as a separate entity from commissioned NP's) it still opens the door to fraud at every level, IMO.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 1:09pm
Msg #370707

Well, I noticed she threw that little clinker in the

middle - the signer must be personally known to the notary....hadn't heard that before..

Reply by MW/VA on 1/31/11 1:13pm
Msg #370710

Re: Well, I noticed she threw that little clinker in the

IMO, I think it would be applicable in the workplace, for instance, or gov. positions where they do know the person they're doing the e-notarization for. The whole thing has me very confused, and I think the legislators are in the same position.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 2:15pm
Msg #370730

I have a couple friends in GA - people I've

known for over 25 years ... if this were allowed in FL and they needed something notarized, I wouldn't have a problem notarizing for them - but to me personally known is NOT you showed me your ID 3 days ago and, yes, I remember we met so we're best buds now...it would have to be for someone very close to me.

MHO

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/31/11 2:36pm
Msg #370733

This would cause major jurisdictional issues

If the notary is in Florida, but the signer is in Georgia, where does the notarization *take place*? I would venture to say that if an oath were taken by the affiants in Georgia, that is where the notarization is taking place, which would disqualify a Florida notary from acting in this situation.

Not to mention, that there are attorney general opinions (in Florida) that very clearly state that an oath can not be taken via telephone.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 2:42pm
Msg #370735

Robert...I said IF it were allowed...I was only

citing the type of situation *I* would be comfortable with - I would not do it unless I knew the signers THAT well..

Jursidiction? - That's up to the respective SOS's to iron out...

Reply by MW/VA on 2/1/11 1:58pm
Msg #370871

There's not indication that this would allow for national

notarizations. I haven't read anything about that in this matter at hand.

Reply by anotaryinva on 2/1/11 2:42pm
Msg #370875

Re: There's not indication that this would allow for national

I may be reading this wrong but when I look at section 47.1-13, the section that deals with jurisdiction
the current law states that a VA Notary can perform a notarization outside of the Commonwealth as long as the document is to be recorded in VA, ie., a homeowner residing in VA, working in DC or MD having a notary come into the city to notarize his DOT.

For some reason the part about the document being recorded is being removed.

I would copy and paste but I don't think it works...look here, I really like the way this website highlights the changes and marks the deletions in red.

http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2011/hb2318/fulltext/

I get calls all the time for DC and MD, I'm closer to both state lines then some parts of my own county. Click find a notary, put in zip 20520 (State Dept) you'll see how many VA/MD notaries show up.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 1/31/11 7:06pm
Msg #370774

What is the next step as far as VA law goes?

So it passed the House and is set for a third reading. What is the next step . . . another committee? Vote and send to the Senate? Vote and send to Governor for signing into law? What are the time frames before this has potential to become law?

Reply by anotaryinva on 2/1/11 6:33am
Msg #370812

Re: What is the next step as far as VA law goes?

Wish I knew, I keep checking the Richmond
Sunlight site.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.