Notary Rotary
Weird experience for an in-branch closing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 1/28/11 11:18pm
Msg #370483

I was called out to do a Chase branch closing yesterday, which I've done dozens of. I really enjoy closing in branches, they always seem happy to have me there, a space ready, and just nice folks. Besides, I don't have to worry about being bitten by someone's dog, or in a flea-infested home, or sitting next to someone who wants to crack open a cold one or smoke a cigar.

Anyhow, I arrived at the chase branch a few minutes early to make sure there'd be a place to sign. I met the floor manager and introduced myself "Hi, my name is Jessica, and I'm a loan signer with an appointment to sign one of your client's loans tonight--I just wanted to see where you would like me to be?"

She looked at me deadpan and said "Starbucks."

I never did determine if she was joking or not, but she after a little stuttering on my part, she put me at a desk, and the closing went fine. I got the impression later though that she wasn't happy that they can't close their own loans in house, even though they are notaries in the branch.

Has anyone else run into hostility of any kind in an in-branch closing? Like I said, i'm not positive if there was any hostility or not--I don't read sarcasm very well--but I'd love to have some ideas for ways to deal with this sort of thing if it comes up again.

Reply by Mary Ellen Elmore on 1/29/11 12:20am
Msg #370486

I wrote about one a while back.

The employees at a local Bank of America were extremely rude--told me I had no right to have their documents. (i am in TN and the BoA backing the loan was in FL property was local).

Insinuated I had some how stolen the documents and was keeping a notary journal to steal identities.

Told me several times I was NOT a notary public but a "public notary" and therefore it was illegal for me to notarize loan documents.

It was awful.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/29/11 4:08am
Msg #370492

I just completed two Chase closings yesterday in two different branches they were more then accommodating. Very chearful and pleasant with anything I asked.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/29/11 6:20am
Msg #370494

I don't think it's "closing envy", just a crabby patty.

I introduces myself as "the closer" not a loan signer, maybe your title threw her off.

Reply by CF on 1/29/11 6:45am
Msg #370497

Could it have been a call center loan and the branch was not

getting this on thier books? Perhaps, that is the explaination. The borrower could have went through the internet or an 800# and then wanted to close at a local branch.

Generally, everyone is very friendly at the branch when it is going on their monthly #'s. Just a thought.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 1/29/11 7:20am
Msg #370500

Never had a problem such as this at a branch, but now I will be ready

with my response should it arise. "Perhaps you would like to share this with the customer?"

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 1/29/11 8:21am
Msg #370502

Re: Weird experience for an in-branch closing...

... I have done a few closings in local branch offices & they are certainly not my favorites, that's for sure. The local Chase LO's seem to each have they're favorite notarys & I know one actively steers work towards that notary. The reception is somewhat cool when I show up for a closing at this branch.
The last few BofA in branch closings I have done were very surprising : the staff had no idea I was coming (the Chase personnel always know) &, at two different branches, I was told to 'take any desk, we've got a lot of room since everybody just got laid off'. And they left me alone -- I had to search for someone to tell them I was leaving at the close of the session. I do suspect things might have changed at BofA since then, however.
Due to the unpleasantness of Chase in branch closings, I am contemplating raising my fee for that particular service.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/29/11 8:55am
Msg #370507

I ran into something similar to that a couple of months ago when I went to a bank branch of the same lender that made the loan to do a closing that was scheduled there. I was met by what I guess was the manager who met me with her hands on her hips and then in a nice clear voice stated, "I don't care who scheduled a closing at my branch. You are not going to use my offices. Go to McDonalds for all I care". We never did the closing there and did go to McDonalds.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/29/11 10:56am
Msg #370530

Wow! That is rough. Perhaps it was just this branch. Most of the branches I work with, they know me. Some of them even say "just use your usual desk" as I walk in.

Good to know this isn't an isolated thing though, and now I'll be prepared with a backup plan--and I'll always arrive early to ensure we have a cooperative manager.
Thanks all for feedback on this one.

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/29/11 11:47am
Msg #370538

I tell them that I am there to do a closing for one of their borrowers.

There is one branch in my own home town that is small. The lady that I have to approach always has me approved by the manager. Which is done right in front of the borrower. So, now I have to get there before the borrower so that they don't see this.

Others I have no problem with.

Reply by GWest on 1/29/11 4:46pm
Msg #370553

I handle signing at a few Chase Banks as well as Bank of America. I always call as soon as I receive the confirmation and ask to speak with the manager. The Chase offices always know I am coming before I call but they still appreciate the call. I have never had a problem. I know them all personally now and have even handled a few of their personal signings at their homes.

Reply by LynnNC on 1/29/11 2:57pm
Msg #370548

B of A in-branch closings are always a problem

It is impossible to call the branch to make sure there will be a place to sign, as ALWAYS when calling their local number, the call gets routed to online banking! It happens at every branch where a loan is scheduled to close.

Usually it is at the suggestion of the lender to close at a B of A branch, but they never make the arrangements. Now, when I confirm with the borrower when a loan is scheduled for a B of A branch, I explain there might be a problem with having a place to sit and sign, and ask if they have an alternate location.

Reply by sanjqnvly on 1/29/11 4:44pm
Msg #370551

I have not been in a bank branch for a closing, (other than my own) always done in bo home, Starbucks, Mickey Dee, etc. done several in CU branch and treated very well

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.