Notary Rotary
Why me???
Notary Discussion History

Why me???
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by LatteLady/NV on 1/27/11 4:30pm
Msg #370259

Why me???

I just came home from a nightmare job. A 60 year old woman is confined to her bed with a broken pelvis. She has to sign a document that her brother asked me to notarize. We were in her bedroom and her brother kept yelling at her and losing his patience. I asked him to leave. About a minute later, the woman licked my hand and then grabbed my boob. I was freaked out but calm. I said, "Let's focus on signing this so I can leave". She did and then I quickly got out of there.

How in the world could I have not left myself in a vulnerable situation. Who would ever think that an old hippie woman would come on to me. I have no clue. I'm just a simple, plain old notary from Nevada. No frills here.

I'm going to take a shower now and try to re-group.

Cara in Reno

Reply by Patricia/VT on 1/27/11 4:32pm
Msg #370260

Did you believe that she was competent?

Reply by LatteLady/NV on 1/27/11 4:36pm
Msg #370263

I asked her several questions. We talked about signing her name as best as she could. Her brother told me that she had been asking when the notary would get there. She also knew that she was signing an important letter for the bank. There was not much more I could do. It just was a very uncomfortable situation.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/27/11 4:36pm
Msg #370262

"Old Hippie Woman" eh??

If 60 is old to you, how old are you, 12? When you get to be 60, you'll see that 60 is not old.

Reply by LatteLady/NV on 1/27/11 4:38pm
Msg #370264

Re: "Old Hippie Woman" eh??

No, no , no. Don't get me wrong. She looked old. Older than 60. She just got out of jail. Heck, I'm not that far off from 60. 90 is old. Not 60

Reply by Patricia/VT on 1/27/11 4:40pm
Msg #370265

Well said, Shoshana!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/27/11 5:06pm
Msg #370271

When my younger daughter was 11...

We had the following conversation on my husband's 49th brithday:
She said: "I know why dad is grumpy today."
I said why?
She said: Because he's 49.
I said: so what about it?
She said: Well next year he'll be 50. When you turn 50, you become old and feeble.

Reply by James Dawson on 1/27/11 7:23pm
Msg #370283

Re: When my younger daughter was 11...

My kids felt the same way fifteen years ago and they're still here! LOL

Reply by Cody on 1/27/11 5:05pm
Msg #370270

Why do you have to be 12 to think 60 is old?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/27/11 5:07pm
Msg #370272

How old are you?

Do you think 60 is old?

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/27/11 5:26pm
Msg #370273

Once you pass (about ) 35 , "old" is about 10 years

older than whatever you happen to then be.
When my dear, late mom was about 85, she used to joke about all of the 90+ old phartz at her retirement home.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/27/11 6:03pm
Msg #370275

My mother said the same thing, Bob, at age 70

tried to get her to get involved with other people - she didn't want to "hang around with a bunch of old ladies" - I tried to tell her she was one fo them them she wasn't having any of it!!...LOL

Reply by HisHughness on 1/27/11 9:25pm
Msg #370295

Re: My mother said the same thing, Bob, at age 70

***I tried to tell her she was one of them***

Okay, Linda, you just got dropped off my Christmas card list.

HUGH NATIONS
Who is so old even the Hubble Telescope hasn't picked him up yet, but who's still kicking high as long as he gets his fiber.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/27/11 9:38pm
Msg #370296

Umm....I meant 80?...typo you see...:) n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/27/11 9:41pm
Msg #370297

BTW Hugh..is my card still "in the mail" with my check?

cuz I haven't received mine yet...Smile

Reply by Cari on 1/28/11 7:00am
Msg #370308

My mother JUST retired from working at a factory for 30+ yrs

a few months ago at 71.....and man if I dare call her "old", I sure will be pickin' up my teeth from the floor!

Reply by James Dawson on 1/27/11 7:27pm
Msg #370284

Re: Once you pass (about ) 35 , "old" is about 10 years

i MET TWO 95 YEAR OLD TWINS when notorizing some health directives for them who told me they didn't want to donate their organ because they thought the organs was too old!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/27/11 10:28pm
Msg #370301

From your description of the son's treatment of his

Mother, (yelling and losing patience), my thoughts went to the poor woman who was in his care, as he may have been on his *best* behavior, rotten as it was.

Imagine what he did with no company there.

You handled her actions well, but I can't help believe she just wasn't deliriously happy to see another ~female~. You were kind and calm, you rid her of his abuse if even for a moment. Too, as babies, we gather information by putting everything in our mouths; and mamaries are maternal. I may have been a more primal outreach than a 'coming on' to you.

Just a thought.

A broken pelvis is horrible - and I worry about the circumstances of that event.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/28/11 1:52am
Msg #370305

Re: From your description of the son's treatment of his

I think I might have been worried about the mother's mental state or capacity, as well. Perhaps there was more "broken" than her pelvis?

Reply by maddalena on 1/28/11 3:11am
Msg #370306

It's impossible to know what I'd do myself, since I wasn't there to see it firsthand. But from your description I think I would have refused the notarization. I would have to know that she was aware of what that "important letter from the bank" meant, and that she was signing under her own free will. Did it seem to you that she signed it because she was bullied by the son?

Sending the son out of the room was a good call. I often send family out, even under friendly circumstances, so I can talk to the signer one on one to verify understanding and willingness.

Reply by bob/IA on 1/28/11 3:15am
Msg #370307

Am I reading the same post as some of you? How did the signers son get involved?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/28/11 7:10am
Msg #370310

Okay...wow..talk about the "whisper round the room"

game - it was her brother - and her brother is the one who asked the OP to do the notarization.

Reply by Larry/IL on 1/28/11 8:26am
Msg #370312

Thought I just got old!

I thought I had read brother, I was scratching my head, and thinking I just got old.

Reply by Cari on 1/28/11 10:14am
Msg #370324

not old Larry...senile perhaps?? LOL...jk n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/28/11 12:55pm
Msg #370352

No, that would be ~moi~ who is getting old... n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/28/11 3:13pm
Msg #370391

Re: No, that would be ~moi~ who is getting old...

And it would also be "moi" -- who shouldn't have taken one more last look at this site as I was shutting down my pc, and who should know better than to go by memory with details when my brain has already shut down for the night! Wink

Fortunately, a few others added more clarity to the point I was trying to make. With the brother being the one who requested the notarization and then being belligerent with her, I'd want to be sure that first, she understood what she was being asked to sign, and then that she was signing it willingly.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/28/11 12:53pm
Msg #370351

Sorry, meant brother. n/m

Reply by Mary Ellen Elmore on 1/28/11 1:31pm
Msg #370360

Sounds more like dementia than old hippie syndrome. (The licking sounds as if maybe she did not know it was your hand--I have had Alzheimer's patients that would literally try to eat my hand or the glass plate, their own hand. Also, in some forms of dementia or at certain stages they lose control of the arms and/or legs--its called ataxia--the brain has lesions and they forget how to use the limbs-the boob grabbing may not have been intentional and yet she may have tried to pretend it was-its called "masking" they are still aware enough to know something is wrong and try to cover it up.)

I would not have done this.

Totally sounds as if she was not doing this of her own free will and/or that she may not have even known what she was doing.

Reply by Joan_OH on 1/29/11 3:23pm
Msg #370550

I would have left w/o notarizing.

In my mind, there is one of two things going on

1. Dimentia in which case it was a no-go
2. You were assaulted (I don't know how anyone can look at someone licking you and grabbing you breast any other way) at which point I would have left, period. Would any female notary stayed if a man grabbed your breast? If she was of sound mind, I would file charges and put her back in jail. My guess is she wasn't of sound mind, which takes me back to number 1.

The brother yelling at her didn't help either. You really have to question her competence or if she was being bullied.

Joan-OH

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.