Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Yesterday, I accepted a job for tomorrow.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Shoshana/AZ on 1/19/11 2:50pm
Msg #369246

Today, the loan processor asks me if I would include the cost of shipping the docs back in with my invoice. I just emailed her back with a resounding NO. Has anyone else run into this?

Reply by bagger on 1/19/11 2:53pm
Msg #369247

Never! It;s always on the TC/SS dime, unless of cours e if they want to bump up my pay > shipping.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/19/11 3:26pm
Msg #369255

They would have paid me for it.

However, it wouldn't be prudent to put out the $60 or so it would cost to send them back.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/19/11 3:00pm
Msg #369251

Ha! Sounds like a new way for them to lower our fee...

Unbelievable!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/19/11 3:24pm
Msg #369254

It's a credit union in the Mid West They have never had a remote closing before. She asked me how companies usually send back the docs. "Do they just put them in the mail?" So then I realized they had never done this before. I told them that it was free to sign up with FedEx and UPS and that they was the best way for me to send them back. LOL!

Reply by Les_CO on 1/19/11 3:43pm
Msg #369258

Big TC's overnight...$6....You the lowely once a month/year $25....it all get's charged to the borrower in 'courier fees'.... she may have just not known. A problem today....

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/19/11 4:07pm
Msg #369263

The Post office has an overnight delivery as well. The last time I used it, it was cheaper than the other two. But it's been awhile

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/20/11 2:43pm
Msg #369388

USPS doesn't "guarantee" overnight delivery although they will still charge you for it even if it doesn't get delivered next day. Frown

Reply by Cari on 1/19/11 4:30pm
Msg #369268

can you just imagine the packet you'll be receiving...

I sure do hope that THEY know what they're doing, or else if those figures aren't right, the borrower may not sign at all...

Maybe you should call and ask to speak to their loan officer, or was the caller him/her??

Reply by Cari on 1/19/11 4:28pm
Msg #369267

wha? hasn't happened to me but I sure would've said no to. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/19/11 4:40pm
Msg #369272

I've done this...

I have one particular account where I pay to ship the docs, but they reimburse me. However, they reimburse me at the retail rate, and not the rate I actually pay, which is discounted because of a group rate. It is part of our agreement, and it's never been a problem. I simply add that to my invoices.

I have no issues with this, myself... though I prefer NOT to do it, of course. Technically speaking, as an independent contractor, we are supposed to handle all of the expenses to get our job done, and that includes returning documents to where they need to go. It's nice that companies supply a billing number for convenience, but even the terms of service for the major shippers state that the person shipping the package is the one responsible for payment --- and that's us.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/19/11 4:43pm
Msg #369273

Re: I've done this...

Let me add, though, that I would NEVER absorb the cost of shipping in to my fee. It's always extra. But if they ask, I'll do it... if they're willing to pay to retail rate to ship. Fact is, those big companies have a negotiated rate that is far lower than retail rates... so it just makes sense that they have people bill to their own accounts.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/19/11 9:00pm
Msg #369300

I agree in principle and might do this for a client that has a good track record with me, but to the OP, I'd be very careful about incurring more out-of-pocket expense with an unknown. It's one thing undertaking the cost of gas, paper and toner on credit when we do an assignment, but adding shipping costs (for which most of us would pay full retail), is a risk I'd rather not take in most situations. However, it would depend on the circumstances and the company. What if the borrowers rescinded?

I've been asked to do this before by a lender and I just stated that it was my policy to not pay for shipping costs up front, but I'd be happy to take the assignment if they could provide a FedEx account number. It has never been a problem.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/19/11 11:21pm
Msg #369314

I agree, it's usually never a problem.

IN fact, today I shipped a package to a certain Title Company and the FedEx lady actually ended up putting the rate billed on the receipt by accident. I kid you not... $4.77 for Overnight Express. I asked her, "$4.77? That's all they pay?"

She said, "Oh yeah, these people ship in such volume they have a very low rate."

I knew it was lower, but I didn't think it was under $5. They're making a killing on those closing costs.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/20/11 12:19am
Msg #369317

The last split signing I had the BO sent the pkg to hubby and paid over $60. Such a disparity.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/19/11 8:03pm
Msg #369296

I would add $25 to my signing fee. If the reply is, "Well the shipper only charges....." My response, "Yes, but **I** charge $25. That would probably end that request really quick.

Reply by ConnieK on 1/20/11 1:05am
Msg #369321

No way on the return costs! Gas prices high, etc! Not the Notary job!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.