"My Sister-in-law will be there to supervise..."
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 1/25/11 1:00pm
Msg #370017

This is going to be fun. Smile

Borrower that I'm going to see tonight told me that her SIL, who is a RE broker and a notary, was going to be at our appointment to "supervise" to make sure I notarize everything properly. It's true... the SIL is both. I checked.

I've had RE agents pop in briefly on loan signings for purchases, especially for first-time buyers. But this is a refi.

I'm going to have to play nice, aren't I? Smile

Reply by James Dawson on 1/25/11 1:05pm
Msg #370019

I'm betting she's going to tell you three things that are incorrect or illegal...I can't wait. You can even text me from the signing if they need to talk to "your Supervisor" . ROFLMAO

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/25/11 7:14pm
Msg #370067

You have to post and let us know how your "Supervisor" handled the whole thing.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/25/11 7:28pm
Msg #370068

Yeah..I can't wait to hear this...LOL n/m

Reply by Cari on 1/25/11 1:13pm
Msg #370021

I know you're as curious as a cat to see WHO it is??

Maybe a member on this forum??

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/25/11 1:20pm
Msg #370024

Re: I know you're as curious as a cat to see WHO it is??

Nope, not as far as I can tell. This individual does not have much of an online presence. However, I do know *of* her brokerage. I've seen her signs, especially in a particular area. She is well known in this specific area.

I'm not worried. I just found it really funny. It made me laugh.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/25/11 2:25pm
Msg #370037

Re: I know you're as curious as a cat to see WHO it is??

If she was a member of this forum, I'd hope she'd know better than to try to supervise Marian! In fact, if she had any sense, she'd want to be there to see if she could learn something! Wink

Have fun, Marian! Smile

I remember a signing I did for a single woman who fit the same description as the sister-in-law. She grabbed the docs out of my hands and wanted to just sign away. These docs happened to be a little different from the standard package - and I did have her copies - so I let her cut her own throat. When she was done, I started checking and calmly had her re-sign about a dozen pages. I just smiled at her as I pointed out all her mistakes. She didn't say a word after that. Sometimes revenge can be sweet...

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/25/11 1:33pm
Msg #370031

Yes, Ma'am, you're going to have to play nice...sigh. n/m

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/25/11 1:35pm
Msg #370033

Just tell her that YOUR supervisor is the CA SOS, but that

she is free to watch over your shoulder.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/25/11 1:39pm
Msg #370035

At least you have advance warning!

I remember my own closing, the lady came to our house and she looked like Aunt Clara from Bewitched with a briefcase on wheels and my husband and I wondered what in the heck she had in there, but it was the height of equity loan season and I had to fly out and go close my own loans. My husband begged me not to tell her what I did for a living as she was older and he didn't want me to make her nervous. So she gets pens and the docs out and her stamp and then pick up the first doc, I think a title doc and begins to read it out loud! That was enough for me and I told her this would be her quickest closing ever and I told her I was a closer (this lady was just a notary) and I took the docs and signed and passed to my husband (and he was grateful as he didn't want her to read them to us) and he passed them to her to sign. What a hoot that was.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/25/11 3:03pm
Msg #370042

It's sometimes hard to grit your teeth & play nice. I did a

refi loan signing for a RE agent the other week. You know the "I know it all" type. She called just yesterday to ask why her loan hadn't been paid off. I gave her the tc's phone no. I just knew she was going to be a royal PIA! LOL

Reply by Doris_CO on 1/25/11 3:31pm
Msg #370045

Re: It's sometimes hard to grit your teeth & play nice. I did a

Your comment reminded me of an article that was in this Sunday's paper.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_17165330?source=rss

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/25/11 3:43pm
Msg #370046

Why am I not surprised that it's BofA who's claiming they weren't paid off - bet they were and they just don't know it..

Reply by Cari on 1/25/11 5:29pm
Msg #370056

....WOW....if I were you I'd have probably LMAO, then ask if she got her RE license from a Cracker Jack box!

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/25/11 6:10pm
Msg #370064

You should always "play nice" when training your competition. Wink LOL

Reply by Mary Ellen Elmore on 1/26/11 9:34pm
Msg #370213

I would make it clear upfront that I did not need a supervisor as i work for myself and apparently the TC feels I know what I am doing.

No problem with the SIL being there, but she would not tell me how to do my job.

I am assuming the BO is mis-using the word "supervise" and the SIL is going to be there to explain things to them you can not and to give her family members some experienced family advise.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.