Notary Rotary
class's not in Wisconsin??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Christine Muehlenberg on 1/31/11 10:35pm
Msg #370795

Hello out there...I used to be a Notary back in the eighties, in Las Vegas, Nevada, while I had practiced Realestate there.
I now live in Wis. and would like to become active again, but cannot find a way to take the proper class(s). What should I do?

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/1/11 1:45am
Msg #370800

Like many states, all you need to do is be able to fog a mirror. Google SOS, WI and follow directions on where, how much $$.

Reply by rolomia on 2/1/11 4:20am
Msg #370803

As Lee/AR (Arkansas) said, anybody can perform the functions of a notary public. In fact, at last report, the State of Arkansas had the highest concentration of notaries, per capita, in the U.S. But, not every notary will perform their duties with the honor and integrity that is expected of them.

Currently, persons with felony convictions cannot be commissioned as a notary public. And, news reports of identity theft enabled by acts of notarial fraud prove that not every notary can be trusted. I've even read news reports of identity thieves obtaining notary commissions in order to commit even greater acts of fraud against their intended victims.

The entire notary profession has been disparaged and ridiculed by the media and ignorant miscreants in our midst. And, society has shown an overall lack of respect for our profession.
Hopefully, those among us who still respect our profession will help to restore the pride and honor we were once given by the public that we were commissioned to serve.

Now, pardon me while I go fog a mirror...LMAO

Reply by Pam/NM on 2/1/11 3:41pm
Msg #370887

Ability to fog a mirror....glad I'd swallowed my coffee...THAT is funny stuff. In NM, you need to have a pulse...and $20 for the app fee and $50 for the bond. Not saying you're a top drawer notary public then, but you ARE commissioned.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 2/1/11 1:47am
Msg #370801

While you are logged into this site: click on the last blue tab above labeled "The Library". When that page opens, click on State Governments listed there, then scroll down til you get to Wisconsin. There will be a link to the proper WI web page to find out what is needed to become a notary in your state.

Reply by jaxson on 2/1/11 6:49am
Msg #370814

Look on Secretary of State website or stop in their office in Madison. You need to pick up an application, get bond insurance, and pay the $25 to the state. I believe you now have to take a test also. I renewed my commission just before that became a requirement. All info will be on the Secretary of State website.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 2/1/11 7:08am
Msg #370817

Turns out you don't even have to be a WI resident

to be commissioned as a notary there... you just have to be a resident of the United States.

The bond here on NR is only $20, and the state fee is $20. For $40, I may do it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/11 7:11am
Msg #370818

Good grief...you don't even need to be a U.S. citizen!! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/1/11 7:12am
Msg #370819

Hmmph..not in FL either...didn't realize til now.. n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 2/1/11 7:15am
Msg #370820

From what I've heard, no states require an applicant to

be a U.S. citizen, all for the sake of "political incorrectness".

I, for one, don't believe that a non-U.S. citizen should be entitled to the privilege of holding public office in the United States. JMHO.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/1/11 11:17am
Msg #370840

Re: Good grief...you don't even need to be a U.S. citizen!!

Bernal v Fainter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernal_v._Fainter

Supreme court held that it is unconsititutional under the Equal Protection Clause

The Supreme Court struck down the Texas law that required a notary to be a citizen. The court also noted that notary commissions are issued by the Texas Secretary of State, who, ironically enough, is not required to be a citizen

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 2/1/11 11:54am
Msg #370853

Ugh. I don't like that at all.

Holding public office should be a privilege of citizenship.

Doesn't the Governor have to be a U.S. citizen? The Governor is a public officer just like the Secretary of State. How silly that you can become an SOS without being a citizen.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.