Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
msg370493 tethering Iphone to laptop for esigns...anyone?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Brooke Squyres on 1/31/11 12:10pm
Msg #370674

I read Julie's post below and she was kind enough to PM about calling ATT to begin service for tethering iphone to laptop for esigning.
ATT told me that as of now, I have unlimited data plan for Iphone at 30/month, which is no longer available. If I wanted to tether laptop, it would be 45 a month, and limited to 2GB for BOTH laptop and Iphone, and of course, overage charges if used beyond the 2GB; and of course, I could never go back to unlimited internet for Iphone, as it is no longer offered. Gee, such service!
I am afraid that one or two esigns in a month may dump me over the 2GB limit, and I find I use my internet on my Iphone ALL THE TIME ( checking email, are dox in, etc).
Anyone have any input or solution, or way around ATT's excellent service??
Thanks for reading my rant...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/31/11 12:16pm
Msg #370675

I'm confused....e-signs or "e-doc" signings

Didn't realize there was such a large download for e-signs...

Reply by OR on 1/31/11 12:34pm
Msg #370682

Re: I'm confused....e-signs or "e-doc" signings

works well for me in both cased on my BB.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/31/11 1:11pm
Msg #370709

Does the volume of requests for e-signs warrant your extra

costs? I found that it didn't in my case. I had suited up with a laptop & aircard and ditched the aircard after a few months (even paid an early termination fee--grrrrrr!). I have a BB and can tether it through tetherberry. Does tether.com have anything for Iphones? I have not idea, but I'd check it out before changing your plan with your carrier.

Reply by MonicaFL on 1/31/11 2:00pm
Msg #370724

Re: tethering?

I guess I am just not up to snuff on this stuff, but what is "tethering". Thank you.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/31/11 2:12pm
Msg #370728

Re: tethering?

It's using your smart-phone (like my BB) and it's broadband connection to provide internet service to your computer (example--laptop used for e-signings). It's an alternative to using an air-card.

Reply by Salvador Avalos on 1/31/11 6:52pm
Msg #370771

I use PDA Net with my droid and it is free. I switch from an Iphone to the droid for that exact reason. I heard you can tether the iphone only if it is jail broken. The rep at ATT also mentioned that jail breaking is not illegal, but it does void the waranty on the iphone.

Reply by Sha/CA on 1/31/11 10:01pm
Msg #370787

Would someone please explain what jail breaking is?

Reply by Sha/CA on 1/31/11 10:28pm
Msg #370792

Re: jail breaking?

Would you or someone please explain "jail breaking".

Reply by Salvador Avalos on 1/31/11 10:59pm
Msg #370796

Re: jail breaking?

Not an expert on it, but it modifies the Iphone, and from what others tell me, the iphone has a lot more capabilities. You would have to take to somebody who knows how to do this. Most reputable business will not jail break a phone. But I have also heard, that just about everybody who works for ATT and has an Iphone has their phone jail broken. I have had two Iphones and recently switched to droid, both phones have their pros and cons but overall I could do more with the droid.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/31/11 11:12pm
Msg #370798

Re: jail breaking? Where's the bang head on wall smilie?

I went to an ATT corporate store and they called and added tethering to my contract and set it up for me and showed me how to tether to my laptop and a "tethering" message comes across the top of my iphone.

I'm really really stupid with technology so how can this be jail breaking? I'll look at the bill and see if jail breaking is listed on my monthly fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.