Notary Rotary
new computer and slow printing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by DaveCA/CA on 1/22/11 8:41pm
Msg #369678

I tried to research this but wasn't able to find quite what I needed. Bought a new computer with Windows 7. It came with Adobe Reader 9. It took about 40 minutes to print 90 pages. Tried with a prior set of docs (before new computer that didn't take very long to print) and it took a long time too.

Should I uninstall this version of Adobe and put in another? Is there a Windows setting? (The Print as Image) didn't make a difference. Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been answered numerous times.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/22/11 10:30pm
Msg #369685

You might try updating Adobe. I think there are a few out there for 9. A link is available on the Help button at the top of the Adobe screen. There are way more knowledgeable people on NR than I--maybe they have better ideas.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/23/11 4:57am
Msg #369707

Also check the printer setup see if the print is going direct to printer or to spoiler first. It should go direct to printer. Going to spoiler slows printing process.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/23/11 7:07am
Msg #369709

My husband said it was not adobe, but windows 7 as I purchased a new computer in March an had the same problem. Not all of my files printed slowly, but when I print from our spare computer with windows XP, the slow files prints quickly again.

Reply by PAW on 1/23/11 7:19am
Msg #369710

It appears that there is a known condition between Adobe Reader (version 10 is the latest and only version supported on Win7) and Windows7.

Correct set-up for a printer should be PRINTER SPOOLING turned ON. PRINTER POOLING turned OFF. Setting spooling on allows the application to 'print' to a buffer. However, if there is limited memory available on the PC, it may slow down the process.

Reply by DaveCA/CA on 1/23/11 8:03am
Msg #369714

So should I update to 10 because mine says 9? Thanks

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/23/11 11:00am
Msg #369728

Yes, Get 10. 9 does not work well with 7.

And make sure your settings are as PAW states.

One of the issues with PCs is that thete are so many manufactures out there that load the programs at the factory that they are not always up on compatibility issues. You may also find other programs that may not work as well.

I also like to uninstall the programs that come bundled on the computer that I am not going to use, which is most of them. Be careful, though. You don't want to uninstall the video or wireless driver. It is pretty save to uninstall those free trial versions. PCs builders are paid by the software makers to include certain programs on their computer. It helps keep the price of computers down, but the unwanted programs can also slow it down.

Reply by wisconsin on 1/23/11 1:34pm
Msg #369755

Adobe 10 has a problem printing by pdf size

I too just bought a new laptop and installed adobe 10. My first set of docs were cut off at the bottom of all legal pages. Thought it must have been something I didn't set right, looked at all the settings and then printed a couple pages. worked just fine, so I printed the docs again and it did it again. I had to print in set of 10 at a time for it to work right. I looked it up add found that it is a problem with Adobe 10 so I uninstalled 10 and installed 9.4.1. Printing works just fine now.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/23/11 8:25pm
Msg #369789

Re: Adobe 10 has a problem printing by pdf size

Sometimes, it's in the printer settings. You many not have the correct size assigned to the trays. It happens often when setting up a new computer It could be set to a size like A4 or an oddball (at least to us) European size. Then Adobe will try to print to the closest size.

Reply by wisconsin on 1/23/11 8:38pm
Msg #369790

No it was Adobe 10, I googled it and found alot of people

were having the same issue. I double check all settings and verified the paper size assigned to each tray. I tried lots of different things before I uninstalled 10, but once I did and installed 9.4.1 all was good.

Reply by LarryNY on 1/24/11 8:22am
Msg #369813

Re: No it was Adobe 10, I googled it and found alot of people

I have the same issue that showed up when I upgraded to Adobe X. With documents from only one provider, when the printer switches from letter to legal the bottoms are cut off on the legal. My solution has been to print the letter and legal seperatly, but that is very time consuming. Obviously the problem is an incompatibility with whatever software program they are using to create the document package and Adobe X. (Interestingly, the closing docs that that title adds to the package print just just fine on borth letters and legal). I would like to downgrade to 9.4.1 as I had no problems at all with that version, but don't know where to find a source for the installation software as Adobe only provides X on line. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply by wisconsin on 1/24/11 8:56am
Msg #369820

Here is a link were you can pick which version you want

Hope fully this works.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Reply by LarryNY on 1/24/11 2:54pm
Msg #369900

Re: Here is a link were you can pick which version you want

Yes. This worked and I was able to download the earlier version. I ran a test and the documents on the legal paper now print completely and automatically.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.