Notary Rotary
smart phone
Notary Discussion History

smart phone
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/2/11 3:58pm
Msg #366759

smart phone

We are considering purchasing a smart phone. Is there any work advantage to this? Does anyone receive signings via their smart phone?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/2/11 4:20pm
Msg #366761

I rely on my Blackberry. The email, phone, texting, GPS, ability to view PDF docs, calcendar, notes, various apps, etc., are the best. Even better is the ability to tether my blackberry to my laptop for Internet access.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/2/11 6:05pm
Msg #366768

What is the monthly charge for this

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 1/2/11 6:08pm
Msg #366769

It depends on your plan and if you get any discounts. I'm with Sprint, and my husband and I have two phones that share a plan, so it's higher, but we also have a discount. We pay just under $100/month. Without the discount, it would be about $125/month.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/2/11 9:26pm
Msg #366788

I love mine..Yes it does make it easier for signings..I can get an instant alert when an email arrives, I can view it, get the bos name and number call them and reply to the email..I have GPS on it I have Sprint also with 2 phones a discount and its 125 a month. We have unlimited data plan. My husband is the tech geek and loves his. I have the Samsung Intercept! It is a business expense too!

Reply by James Dawson on 1/3/11 12:35am
Msg #366800

Just go into a phone store and get a demo...you'll walk out with one. I have three IMO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/3/11 3:20am
Msg #366805

I think it might make the most sense to shop for the carrier you want first, then check out what phones they offer. I had whittled my list down to two options, and was then planning to hit their stores to see what kind of a deal I could get on a phone after checking various online options. On a whim, I stopped by the Costco kiosk on my way to stock up on paper and found a deal that was better than anything else I'd seen. It was for the latest version of the BB phone I wanted, with all the accessories and only $20 after rebate.

I agree that it's a great convenience and a time saver. I don't know that it's brought me any more business, though. Kinda hard to tell.

Reply by Kay/IL on 1/3/11 11:02am
Msg #366829

Really?

You were able to get a BB Torch (the most recent BB available) for only $20.00 after rebate at Costco? Wow!

I love my BB Torch. You can check e-mails, manage phone calls, take pics and videos, check the news. Almost anything a computer can do, my Torch can do.

And yes, you do need a smart phone to keep up in the notary business.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/3/11 2:30pm
Msg #366864

No, that's not what I said...

I said I got the latest version of the BB "I wanted" which wasn't the Torch. I got Curve 9300 w/ OS6, G3, WiFi, etc.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/3/11 7:51am
Msg #366811

Yes I have regular clients that email closings. It's easier than a call.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/3/11 9:06am
Msg #366814

Kind of one of those things where you think you don't need it and once you have it you will never go without again. Kind of like a good glass of wine.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/3/11 9:42am
Msg #366816

Amen...

Reply by ME/NJ on 1/3/11 10:16am
Msg #366818

In this business you need a smartphone to stay ahead

Had a Blackberry Storm- Hated it (did the job but thats about it) Got a Droid X last month and even Iphone people like it.

75-80% of my business is through email and it's great to have it right with you at all times.

Reply by Aaron Marshall on 1/3/11 3:06pm
Msg #366868

Re: In this business you need a smartphone to stay ahead

I just got a Blackberry Curve from Best Buy with service from Boost Mobile. It runs on Sprint towers so no trouble with reception. $60 a month unlimited phone nationwide, text, web, email. No contract. Can't beat the deal. The phone cost $200, but Best Buy gave a gift card for $50.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/3/11 3:28pm
Msg #366871

I agree. I use the BB Storm because of "fat fingers". I can't handle those teeny keyboards.

Reply by Retsing on 1/3/11 4:45pm
Msg #366880

I love having a BB so I don't have to sit in front of my PC/laptop to read and respond to email.
Like others have said, I can get the borrower's info, call them to confirm the appointment and don't have to be at home to do so.
My service provider is Verizon and has great coverage for me. I have a bundle program so don't recall the monthly fee for just the BB but do think I got a $100 rebate from them when I got my new one last summer.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 1/3/11 5:10pm
Msg #366886

"I use the BB Storm because of "fat fingers". I can't handle those teeny keyboards."

Your "fat fingers" must be thinner than mine, because I have a BB Storm and can't wait to switch to something else. Typing on that virtual keyboard is painful most of the time (for me at least) - I have never made as many typos as I do with this phone. I think my next phone will be a Droid...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.