Notary Rotary
smart phones
Notary Discussion History

smart phones
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by shawna on 1/7/11 9:08pm
Msg #367530

smart phones

I am taking a poll on which smart phone notaries prefer: Blackberry, Droid, or IPhone ?

Reply by shawna on 1/7/11 9:09pm
Msg #367531

oh and yes I did search the subject: 14 BB, 4 Droids, 3 Iphones so far. ty

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/7/11 9:12pm
Msg #367533

I have a Blackberry Storm that is now a few years old. Planning on switching to an android phone. Although I like the iphone a lot, I cannot deal with ATT here in Syracuse, service is so spotty, out here we can only count on Verizon for 98% coverage 99% of the time. The issue I have with my old Blackberry is the touch screen is not as sensitive as it was when it was new, so sometimes it is very frustrating when trying to dial the phone and it does not recognize where I am touching the screen. Otherwise it has been a terrific phone.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/7/11 11:07pm
Msg #367538

I hear you, Michael. When the touch screen fails, it takes

me right back to why I replaced my last fax machine - the '8' button wouldn't work anymore.

I was such a happy cave-girl, dialing and all.

Reply by DonR_NYC on 1/8/11 12:56am
Msg #367542

It was reported today that Verizon will be announcing on Tuesday that they will be offering the I-Phone shortly.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 1/8/11 7:31am
Msg #367552

Michael, have you tried...

RE-ALIGNING your touch screen? Simple process, usually done when phone 1st set up and never again, but could resove your issue.

Reply by Michael Gilman on 1/8/11 3:27pm
Msg #367631

Re: Michael, have you tried...

Yes even brought it in for service, they just looked at me and said you've had it long enough why not upgrade?. The only thing that helps is to pull the battery out and then reboot the phone. Then it usually works for a day or so without any issue. Thank you.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/7/11 11:41pm
Msg #367540

I have a Samsung Finesse and love it, the Caliber is the upgrade of this phone, very simular to an Iphone.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/8/11 5:36am
Msg #367546

I have the first Droid that came out with Verizon, love it. Last night we went to Verizon store and I saw an android that was beautiful but sorry I can't remember the name of it. It's early here I ask my husband and post later. The GPS on the Droid is better then my Nuvi. The phone has other great features as well.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 1/8/11 6:07am
Msg #367548

Droid X is the way to go

I switched from a Blackberry 8830 to a Droid X 2.2 from Verizon. It's just terrific. The apps are great, the only thing I would improve on is the Outlook sync. I did buy a package called Companion Link which allows a full sync, quickly and easily with Outlook. The nav is fabulous, it never needs updating because it get the info from Google Maps. The messaging input is very intuitive, you can just input a couple of letters and a selection of words pops up for very fast email or text response. The screen graphic are the best and you it does have Flash for looking at videos. I have another business where I need to demo using the internet and the the Droid X fills the bill. It even has instant weather for the town you're in. As you move, it get the weather from the satellite. If you need more send me an IM.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/8/11 8:56am
Msg #367556

It was a Droid that the screen exploded in a mans ear

in Texas. Have they found out what the problem was on that phone yet, I understand that this has happened to others as well.

Reply by Lynn Harris on 3/10/11 12:50pm
Msg #375739

My vote is Blackberry, although I've heard good things about the IPhone. Verizon coverage isn't great. I previously worked as Advanced Tech Support for Sprint, and the only phone they offer that I would use is a Blackberry. Saw tons of trouble with the Android operating system.

Reply by Anthony Nizick on 1/8/11 6:58am
Msg #367550

what i have is....

a throw away phone that has great alert features

Reply by ME/NJ on 1/8/11 7:20am
Msg #367551

Had storm-Now Driod X the X is unreal(verizon) n/m

Reply by Aaron Marshall on 1/8/11 7:47am
Msg #367553

Blackberry from Boost Mobile for $60/month Unlimited

That's what I bought recently. Phone/Email/Text/Web for $60/month no contract. Runs on Sprint towers. Works great for me and no touch screen wackiness...

Reply by DBFL on 1/8/11 8:43am
Msg #367555

I use the Android and Verizon. Verizon has the best coverage in my area and the Android has worked out great for me.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 1/8/11 9:22am
Msg #367557

I have first gen Droid - love it, except for voice dial capabilities, which they tried to fix when they upgraded earlier this year. I have an app that also helps with that, but it's still not as good as my old Razr was for voice dialing. On the other hand, it has SO much more than the Razr for other stuff. Droid X users - how's the voice dial capability?

Reply by shawna on 1/8/11 9:27am
Msg #367558

So far: BB 16, Droid 10, Iphone 3 thanks all

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/8/11 10:03am
Msg #367569

My observations:

If you want a phone, plus email and texting efficiency and ease with hooking up into corporate communications, go with the Blackberry. Blackberry is to phones in the corporate world, as Microsoft is to computers. IPhones are not yet seamlessly connecting with all of the features of corporate mail servers, etc. Blackberry(s) have been for years.

If you want to be able to take advantage of all the apps in the world, go with the IPhone. It is in that arena that Droids are mimicking the IPhone. Why not go ahead and go to App Heaven? Get an IPhone and have what you want.

My Droid:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Vibrant; a pricey 3G Droid phone. The larger screen is superior to the IPhone; I like this because I also use my phone as a Kindle. There are many apps, but it falls short for me because it does not yet have a Netflix app (Yeah, I'm that shallow.)

Pro: It comes with "Swype" that lets you slide your finger around the screen to text faster. And, another pro is that I got it through TMobile and the monthly rate is cheaper for unlimited texting, web and calls than AT&T.

Cons: Android apps are not nearly as popular as IPhone apps are and they aren't necessarily all that less expensive. Every now and then I run into a little glitch that is annoying...like it's harder than my previous phones to connect to my bluetooth ear piece. There were also problems with the GPS holding on to the satellite, but I have fixed that with a hacking-in code that I got from YouTuble.

Bottom line: You should not have to putz around with a $300 phone.

Boost Mobile is THE BEST value around if the coverage in your area is good. If I could have ported my number to Boost when I needed to, I would have gone to Boost and a Blackberry. When I needed to change plans, I could not get everything I needed to know from Boost about porting my number.

Things I do with my Droid:

Use Audible.com and download books "on tape".
Use Amazon and get Kindle books.
Use it as a timer and an alarm clock.
Watch the news and other programs on it-MobiTV
Get the temp - weather at one click.
It is my GPS. I use Telenav.com and love it.
Get a daily Bible verse.
Listen to music on Pandora.
Take pictures and edit/write on them before sending (PicSay Pro)
Sync it with my Google calendar.
Take it with me when I am perusing used books for collecting or resell to see their value online.
Use ShopSaavy to compare prices by zapping a UPC code.
TV Guide App
Always use Voice to dial and sometimes to text
Watch hilarious Glo Zell videos on YouTube.com
Play with "Smack Talk" and laugh a lot Smile

Hope this helps.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/9/11 11:19pm
Msg #367790

You do a lot - when do you work? LOL

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/10/11 8:53am
Msg #367799

Re: smart phones - True, I do a lot on my phone.

-listen to books on tape when I put on my tennis shoes during breaks and lunch and take walks; that's my main reason for having Audible.

-read books when I am in any kind of line, or waiting for the dog to finish checking his pee-mail.

-watch YouTube videos of Glo Zell any time I get a chance or need a laugh. NaNa

-use GPS as needed, etc.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/10/11 9:00am
Msg #367803

I don't want to have to rely on any device...

...that is smarter than I am.

Of course, sometimes that includes the doorstop.

Reply by Dawn/PA on 1/10/11 10:45am
Msg #367821

I love my iPhone 4 for a lot of the reasons that Brenda stated.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.