Notary Rotary
Adding venue to documents
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2011 Index

Posted by jnew on 7/23/11 12:06pm
Msg #390824

I got a complaint today from a client because I added the venue to the jurat on a title company document. Most of the lender docs have a venue section somewhere on the document but the title docs often omit it. In my state they require it on an ack or jurat. I never add it above the notary section if I can, but I can't see the objection to this. I guess I am supposed to do as I am told and not add anything to docs, but to me this shows ignorance on the part of the title company as to notarial acts.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/23/11 12:17pm
Msg #390829

Well, they'd be wrong in my state--and state law is what we all must follow.
Yep...gotta be ignorance.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/23/11 12:20pm
Msg #390830

I always add venue just above the notarial wording if it's

not included -venue is required here in FL too.

Reply by walthtz on 7/23/11 12:21pm
Msg #390831

Whenever I come across a document that is missing the venue where I need to notarize, I always add the the state & county where the Notarization is taking place.
I have never been called on it.
After all, it is the state law in NJ & it must be there.
Walt

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/23/11 12:23pm
Msg #390835

<I never add it above the notary section if I can, but I can't see the objection to this. I guess I am supposed to do as I am told and not add anything>

A little confused by what you mean in the above line. You say you "never" add it above the notary section????

That's exactly where it should be added "above the notary section".

I always add it there as it is required in IL also.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/23/11 12:25pm
Msg #390836

The entire Notarial block includes the jurisdiction. n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/23/11 12:23pm
Msg #390834

What does your state law dictate for a completed

Notarial Act?

In my state, the necessary elements of a Notarial Act are quite specific. The venue (also called the jusridiction) is an element, and must be included in my Notarial block as it specifies the state and county under which Notaries Public are authorized and commissioned, as well as the state laws pertaining to Notarieal Acts.

We must follow state law, regardless of some title person's demands. Adding the venue is NOT changing the document, it is completing a proper Notarial Act demanded by state laws.

If your state laws are silent on this issue, I would be very surprised.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/23/11 12:32pm
Msg #390837

I just reviewed a signup packet from a new vendor this week - one section states something ot the effect that "Vendor agrees that all notarizations will be completed in compliance with the instructions from the client"

I wrote back and objected to that - told them my notarizations must be completed in accordance with my state laws.

That in addition to their fee schedule - I did not sign up.

Reply by jnew on 7/23/11 12:39pm
Msg #390838

I guess I see the method to the madness on this one. It is possible they were trying to give me a "gig" for a supposed violation of their instructions and reduce my fee on this. They didn't come right out and say it but it is what it is.

Reply by Roger_OH on 7/23/11 3:27pm
Msg #390868

The notary certificate...

is YOUR sole domain, and YOUR sole responsibility to comply with state requirements. No title company, lender or anyone else can dictate to you what it contains, or how it's worded.

Think of it a a separate document within the document; the state/county venue determines what court jurisdiction the document would fall under if there is a problem with it. I know of no state that doesn't require the venue on every notary certificate. I add it even if it's preprinted at the top of the document, because it's MY certificate, and it needs the venue to be complete.

Reply by Doris_CO on 7/23/11 3:38pm
Msg #390871

Yesterday I was poking around on the Colorado SOS's Notary section and looked at my last application for my commission. I noticed that the SOS's application didn't have the venue on it. It just started with the words "Sworn and Subscribed". And, there was no venue at the top of the page, which you often see with title docs. According to our Notary handbook, the venue is always to be included on the notarial certificate, but the SOS didn't have it on theirs.

Reply by ikando on 7/23/11 8:22pm
Msg #390905

Doris, not listing a venue and not leaving any room for the notary's seal are my two most frequent peeves. I've seen both missing from MANY documents created by the State of Oklahoma. Makes you say, "Hmmm."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.