Notary Rotary
Gift Certificates?
Notary Discussion History

Gift Certificates?
Go Back to July, 2011 Index

Posted by rengel/CA on 7/20/11 5:20pm
Msg #390410

Gift Certificates?

I have agreed to donate a mobile notarization service to a charity for their silent auction. Most of the people attending/bidding are with the legal community so there should be interest in it.

Have any of you done something like this before? Do you have any suggestions as to wording of the certificate?

I'd like to keep it to certain geographical limits (such as the "greater Sacramento area"). and I will be putting an expiration on it (1 year from date of auction).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Reply by jba/fl on 7/20/11 5:27pm
Msg #390411

Oh, just the usual "must have valid ID".

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 7/20/11 5:48pm
Msg #390412

From CA.Gov

Here's a link regarding the gift certificate laws in the State of CA

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/s-11.shtml

If you want wording for a gift certificate I'd Google gift certificates professional services and get some ideas.

Reply by rengel/CA on 7/20/11 5:53pm
Msg #390414

Ok I guess I shouldn't have

called it a "gift certificate" since I won't technically be selling it.

Thanks

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 7/20/11 5:57pm
Msg #390417

Coupon????

Hey we're in the great state of California with more laws than any other state. My husband keeps saying he can't wait until I retire and he can move back to AMERICA!

Reply by CH2inCA on 7/20/11 5:57pm
Msg #390416

I've done this for a local church auction.
I used my normal marketing postcard, but added a text box that read,
"Good for one year's free notary services to winner of this certificate,
recipient must be 18 yrs or older
Must have valid photo id
not valed for real estate loan closures"

Both cards have been redeemed, and the people who won were very happy that they did. Not to mention that I've received a couple of referrals from the people who used the cards.

One winner happened to mention it to a friend who needed notary services. Showed him the card and gave him my name and number. It turned out to be someone I've knew in high school but lost touch! When he saw the card he said to his friend..."Wait I think I know this person.." HA

Small world.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 7/20/11 6:04pm
Msg #390418

Watch the wording...

"Good for one year's free notary services..." could imply that you could be the on call notary to the recipient for an entire year.

I think (if it were me) I would restrict it to an amount, something like $25 or whatever you feel is comfortable for you.

Reply by rengel/CA on 7/20/11 6:08pm
Msg #390419

Re: Watch the wording...

Yeh, I was thinking about making sure it was for a one time deal -up to 5 signatures, or something like that. I don't plan on having to keep traveling to someone's office all year long. Smile

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 7/20/11 7:47pm
Msg #390425

Why 18 or older?

You do know that minors CAN get their signatures notarized, right?

Reply by JandB on 7/20/11 6:43pm
Msg #390422

I have said if I ever offer my services again to a silent auction I would set a minimum bid. It would be on the low side but still enough that my donated time/gas, etc. would have some value to the charity. I once wall papered a kitchen for a $25 donation. I was not happy.

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/20/11 7:02pm
Msg #390424

Every Weds I offer free services to Seniors in the AM, One Doc per. A few times, last one was to a UPS driver in which I just wrote on the back of my business card, "free".

If I were to do as you are suggesting, I would offer as a "gift" one free consultation for notary work. That way I would control the who, when, where of it all. If it was too far for example, I would refer them to a UPS store. We can only charge Ten bucks, so that's what the gift would be worth, anything else would be additional at THEIR discretion.

Reply by Sha/CA on 7/20/11 9:02pm
Msg #390431

I do think the value of the donated service, time, mileage and whatever else expenses, is a tax deductible donation, as long as you keep a record of it, as well as a nice benefit for the recipient. Also, I think you have a good idea to specify the number of notarizations to one location or event, however you decide what works for you.

Reply by SharonMN on 7/21/11 9:27am
Msg #390457

Silent auction donation - tax tip

I believe that the IRS only allows you to deduct expenses (gas, tolls) for this type of charitable donation and NOT the value of your mobile notary services. Normally you cannot take a tax deduction for your time or services, only for tangible items or money spent. (However, I'm not a tax pro, so I may be wrong in this case.)

Reply by taxpro on 7/21/11 1:25pm
Msg #390487

You are correct Sharon

You cannot deduct the value of your time or expertise, but you may deduct your expenses such as mileage, paper, etc. You'd probably do that anyway.

Also, it is more advantageous to deduct them as business expenses (call it marketing or business promotion) rather than a charitable donation. Right now the business mileage rate is $0.555, while charitable mileage is still stuck at $0.14. Also, a business deduction will reduce your income tax and SE tax, while a charitable donation will only reduce income tax. And only if you can itemize on Sch A.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/20/11 9:25pm
Msg #390436

I have offered my notary services to a BNI group I had networked with for a year - I was a regular substitute there but they treated me as if I was a paying member. Here are some of the disclaimers I included in my free offer.

1. I volunteer XX number of notarizations - duplicate documents are not considered *one* document but each is counted separately. A full mortgage loan package is not included. However, individual grant deeds, quitclaim deeds are the exception. Examples of other types of documents are: <yada, yada, yada>.

2. Travel is additional depending on the distance one way to the location, however, if we met at Starbucks near me, travel was waived.

3. Paid appointments take priority over free appointments....their appointment would be rescheduled in favor of a paid appointment. I will notarize free on these days: X, X, X, X and between these hours XX:XX am/pm - XX:XX am/pm

4. If time is of the essence and one needs their document notarized now, don't put a transaction in jeopardy for a free notarization. I am not responsible if you delay the transaction - and suffer financial consequences - in favor of free notarizations. Please have their signature notarized at the nearest UPS Store or AAA office. There is no reimbursement for this.

5. This offer begins XX/XX/XX and ends XX/XX/XX and is non- transferable.

TRUST ME when I tell you, if you don't get very specific and include detailed disclaimers, people will expect the moon and the stars, and run you ragged over this and you'll be sorry you offered free notary services - AND you'll lose money from paying clients.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/20/11 9:27pm
Msg #390437

Sorry for the mixed tenses in the same sentence. n/m

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 7/21/11 12:48pm
Msg #390482

Re: Gift Certificates?...Very nicely laid out, Lisa. n/m

Reply by rengel/CA on 7/20/11 11:04pm
Msg #390443

I will tell the charity how much it is "worth" (up to $$, depending on # of notarizations)

And I will state on the certificate that it is good for 1 mobile notary service appointment - in the metropolitan area I reside, at a location agreed upon by the bearer and notary - up to ___ signatures notarized.

That way it can be worth up to $50 plus my travel fee - which makes it worthe up to $$$.

Thanks for all your input.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.