Notary Rotary
My Time has Arrived
Notary Discussion History

My Time has Arrived
Go Back to July, 2011 Index

Posted by LisaWI on 7/26/11 7:48am
Msg #391237

My Time has Arrived

Well, I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. I had my very first loan closing with the LO present, or at least I think thats who she was, who was only happy if she was chastising me for issues with the title company. Over and over again. Holding composure, thats an understatement.....

Question is, are we allowed to ask certain people to leave the closing? The signers obviously wanted her there as they had questions for her on the documents.

Top off this situation with a closing I had last week, VP of the company who decided he needed to move my car as it was in the way for him to leave because he was in a hurry to get to his golf game. The kicker, the property was on a small hill, I have a manual and I had my parking brake on and he didnt release it before moving the car.....

Somethings in the air.....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/26/11 7:55am
Msg #391238

"Holding composure" - I might have reminded her that she might want to voice her concerns with HER lender (where she apparently placed the loan). If she was being that disruptive to the process I might have stopped the signing and politely asked for a word outside with her...

And how did this guy even get your keys to move your car?

Reply by LisaWI on 7/26/11 8:03am
Msg #391239

That is exactly the direction it would have gone in if she would have continued....she finally simmered down as one wise comedian put it.....she had made a statement to the effect of "your company blah blah" and I stopped her and asked her to define what she meant by "your" company, when she said the title company as if I was an employee, I set her straight on who I was.....

And my keys were in the car, I wasnt in an area where I had to worry about it......

Reply by jba/fl on 7/26/11 8:16am
Msg #391244

"I wasnt in an area where I had to worry about it......"

HMMM.

Reply by LisaWI on 7/26/11 8:27am
Msg #391247

hard to believe I know, but there are still places in our good ol U.S that its ok to do such things.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 7/26/11 9:02am
Msg #391252

I always take my keys in for 2 reasons
1. my car randomly locks itself. I hear it locking itself in the garage in the middle of the night.
2. I came out of a closing once to find the borrowers Dad, who had Alzheimers, sitting in the drivers seat, thinking he was driving.

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/26/11 9:32am
Msg #391264

I was thinking of posting the same Jba but didn't want to appear, negative. I will say insurance companies probably don't think that's A good idea.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/26/11 9:03am
Msg #391253

Yes, you can ask anyone who is being disruptive to leave the signing. We are in charge.
Most real estate agents, even attorneys, get that & leave us alone. I had one gal back in the sub-prime days that thought she had to run the show, and always had to act as though she knew so much more than I did about the process (control freak). Fortunately, I no longer have to deal with her, because the loans were really bad from the get-go. I'm guessing that her clients ended up in foreclosure sooner or later.

Reply by A S Johnson on 7/26/11 9:37am
Msg #391265

I've had a car stolen from me. The lesson learned was never leave your keys in your car. When I leave my car, even stand beside it to pump gas, My keys are in my hand.
In this case, someone, anyone getting in my car without my expressed permission, starting it and moving it has committed a feloney.
What can you do? I don't know. It seems it would be a he said, you said.
Just take your keys with you.

Reply by LisaWI on 7/26/11 10:51am
Msg #391278

thank you Marilynn, that was the question at hand......the car thing, well, even if the keys werent in the car, he probably would have put the car in neutral and pushed it, he was that way......

I worked at a restaurant for a big insurance company who owned their own golf course, we had a saying about golf players, its a disease and there are those who need treatment for their addiction.....

Reply by RedBaron/IN on 7/26/11 12:34pm
Msg #391297

Whenever I leave my car, I lock it and the alarm is on even if I notarize papers for a judge.

Reply by CJ on 7/26/11 3:25pm
Msg #391359

Loan Officer present.

When I was new, a loan officer, being there (or an attorney, or dad, or whomever) used to make me very nervous. Borrowers are afraid they were being lied to, no one has seen the papers and everyone is on edge and people are polarized.

I want it to go smoothly and quickly, so I try to unite us as a team. I say, "I am SO GLAD that this other person is here! I am not allowed to give opinions, but now, this person you trust is here, and they can help! Smile"

I find that all these other people are so much more familiar with the loan docs than the paranoid borrower, and when I explain the figures, I make sure that the extra person sees them too. Then this extra person calms down, and they see that everything is okay, and they tell the borrower to go ahead and sign. It really can speed things up.

One time, the LO was there. I showed the borrower the Note and I said, ". . . And your interest rate is 8%"

Borrower said, "It's supposed to be 4%."

We looked at the LO and he said, "It really is 4%" I was MORTIFIED! The LO just LIED to the borrower!

They started arguing in Spanish. I thought, "It's a good thing I don't understand Spanish because I don't want to be held accountable for this conversation. They argued for 45 minutes. I could see that the Loan Officer was loosing because he was getting angrier and angier and leaning across the table wagging his finger at the borrower. Finally the LO said, "I'm going to step outside for a minute to make a phone call".

I said to the borrower, "I don't know what he told you, but the contract says your interest rate is 8%." He said, "I'm not signing". I said, "I'm leaving", and I grabbed the documents and left.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.