Notary Rotary
My how this biz has changed in the last 2 years. I just got
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2011 Index

Posted by kathy/ca on 7/27/11 11:22am
Msg #391562

done reading posts about low fees, non payment and tons of fax backs and it is amazing how things have changed. Servicelink, NSC, NREIS, NASCO and many others used to pay well, on time and so few problems with getting documents on time and printed to get to the scheduled appointment. Now, everything is a struggle. Oh how I enjoyed the first several years I had my commission, not anymore! I am sure many of you feel the same way too!

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/27/11 11:43am
Msg #391571

Business is what you make it, you are in control

I have shifted my business from the majority being loan closings to general notary work. This has allowed me to maintain a steady income and allows me to pick and choose what companies I will work with. I still do loan closings every week, just not as many...and NO, I have not lowered my fees.
I also tend to avoid companies that want to hold your hand, and always dump last minute #@*&^% on you.
I do not work with any companies, that require regular faxbacks, in fact, I have only done a few faxbacks in recent years. I think maybe that is a east coast thing, where they have to accomodate the time difference or loose time.
Being a notary in California is still a a viable career for me.

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/27/11 11:50am
Msg #391577

ditto! n/m

Reply by pat/WA on 7/27/11 12:05pm
Msg #391582

Re: Business is what you make it, you are in control

How do you get started doing general notary work? We do some at assisted living homes but anyone who is ambulatory can go to UPS or any number of places that offer notary services CHEAP.

Reply by ME/NJ on 7/27/11 12:08pm
Msg #391583

Re: Business is what you make it, you are in control

It sort of is and is not, yes market yourself but if the current climate is poor nothing can be done about it. I market all over, google for a notary in my city or county I should be one of the first ones listed. I belong to almost every notary site. Some are great while others ugh.

Since my come back 11/10 till now I've had 6 good months 3 poor ones (all in a row) and out of the 6 good 3 are very good. GN work has been decent but the last 2 months I've done over 1200 each month best ever in ten years.

What will August bring? So far I have 3 lined up for the first and second. I got a big boost for me has been TD Bank, reminds me of the good ole Citi days.

Reply by LynnNC on 7/27/11 12:49pm
Msg #391593

"the last 2 months I've done over 1200 each month"

1200 what?

Reply by ME/NJ on 7/27/11 12:52pm
Msg #391594

Re: "the last 2 months I've done over 1200 each month"

1200 dollars in TN work

Reply by jba/fl on 7/27/11 1:00pm
Msg #391595

What is TN work? n/m

Reply by Riley/FL on 7/27/11 1:12pm
Msg #391599

Travelling Notary?

Probably meant GN.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/27/11 1:32pm
Msg #391608

hmmmm, no, he meant GN...

Is that from the comforts of your own home?

Reply by Michael Edmonds on 7/27/11 2:05pm
Msg #391615

Re: hmmmm, no, he meant GN...

Fat fingers on droid..lol

Reply by jba/fl on 7/27/11 2:30pm
Msg #391618

TY - I assume nothing, esp. other's interpretations of your

actions.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/27/11 9:04pm
Msg #391697

<<<How do you get started doing general notary work? We do some at assisted living homes but anyone who is ambulatory can go to UPS or any number of places that offer notary services CHEAP.>>>

GNW in CA is very lucrative. Not everyone has the *time* to go to the UPS Store. I'm often called by an individual to their job site to notarize for them personally. Many couples work long hours and the UPS Store is closed by the time they get off work. I was called to the home of a couple who had four year old triplet boys!! They were bouncing off the walls when I arrived - imagine trying to drag them to the UPS Store for notary services.

The Notary is not always there at the UPS Store, they may be out to lunch or have a limited work schedule. Plus, the UPS Store will charge the full $10 notarization fee for each signer and for each document. I can cut deals for the customer by charging them less or reducing my travel fee.

Lots of marketing and networking over a long period of time - at least a year - builds a good GNW clientele list.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.