Notary Rotary
Lewis Notary Services
Notary Discussion History

Lewis Notary Services
Go Back to October, 2011 Index

Posted by LA23 on 10/19/11 9:45pm
Msg #401048

Lewis Notary Services

Got a call from Lewis Notary Services. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

Reply by Karla/OR on 10/19/11 9:49pm
Msg #401049

Yes, did a signing for them not too long ago. I couldn't find him (Daniel Lewis) on Signing Central but was told he was Notary of the Year last year (hope I have my info right). He pays on the first of the month following the signing.

Reply by LA23 on 10/19/11 10:03pm
Msg #401053

i heard that too. Went on his website and also his fb page. Cant b too careful. He told me he pays 100 per timeshare event and also 7-14 business days. Was that about the info u received? Not worth me driving an hour and a half away.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 10/19/11 10:30pm
Msg #401056

I do timeshare events for him. It's best if it's close to your home. He does pay within 2 weeks. Easy work, though!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/20/11 3:32am
Msg #401065

Re: Lewis Notary Services - timeshare presentations

I did a couple of those for him one day. There were two meetings, several hours apart. (I don't remember the times), but he told me I just had to be there at a time slightly before the meeting ended and then notarize for those who decided to sign the agreement. I was given the impression it would be like typical general work, I'd show up, notarize and go, except I didn't know how many would need to be notarized. But it ended up consuming an entire afternoon of my time (at least four hours, I believe).

Turns out that, at the time I was told to be there, they weren't yet done with the presentation and after that, they began separate meetings with each attendee to "close". At the first appointment, I was sitting there doing nothing for at least an hour and no one decided to sign. But the guy who was running the event insisted that I be in the room the entire time. (I hate sitting with nothing to do - especially when there is always so many things I COULD be doing.) I felt like I was just there as leverage, so they could point to the notary who was standing by.

Then there was a very short break before the second 1 hour session began (I was led to believe that I would have a couple of hours in between) and I had to be back again to cool my heels while they closed on the next group. (At least there was one person there who did decide to sign.)

The fee we agreed upon was the equivalent of about what I would charge for two separate general notary assignments for travel plus one or two signatures - but for those, I would be in and out quickly. I felt the situation was misrepresented to me and I was not at all a happy camper. The people running the event treated me like wallpaper and they showed absolutely no respect for my time. (I don't think they were too pleased with me, either, although I tried to keep my attitude from showing to their clients, at least.) I was planning to sit in the lobby with my laptop and get some work done between sessions, but I was told that I was expected to be in the room, standing by, ready to notarize. Other than that, they hardly acknowledged my presence.

Have your experiences been different than this? Or did I just get with a bad crew that day?

Reply by LA23 on 10/20/11 6:10am
Msg #401068

Well, this will be.my first signing with them. Ill let u know after the weekend. I work with different groups doing the timeshare events and sometimes u get those that really pay you no attention or those that aret very cordial. So u may just have gotten with a bad or should i say very focused group that day. Had a couple of those too.

Reply by Onthego/NE on 10/20/11 9:55am
Msg #401080

My first experience with these was similar to yours. Treated like wallpaper is a very good description except I wasn't allowed In the room. Was told to sit right outside the door and wait instead. Second call I nearly turned down just because the previous experience had been so lousy but the next crew I worked with was wonderful. Went out of their way to make things easier, even called to let me know if meetings were running late so I could arrive later instead of sitting and waiting. Would work with that group again any time.
For me, I just take a book, treat it as paid downtime & enjoy it. Kind of a nice break from the norm.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 10/20/11 10:02am
Msg #401081

Janet,
I am sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. I have done this several times. The crews have all been as nice as can be.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 10/20/11 10:29am
Msg #401087

My experience was quite similar to Janet's. The timeshare co. called me early AM when I was 1/2 to appt to say they didn't need me. Back home I go. Asked me to call them before next meetings. I did. "Yes, we need you." Got there. Oh - no signers. We don't need you. Back home I go. Same thing happened following day for both sets of presentations.

I think I just got a bad timeshare company. I let Mr. Lewis know how rude the timeshare company was to me. Very unprofessional timeshare co. He apologized when I provided verbatim what happened. It was an unfortunate incident. He does pay promptly and I will take future assignments from him.

Reply by Les_CO on 10/20/11 11:36am
Msg #401094

Am I missing something here? You guys go and sit and listen/don’t listen to some sales pitch, and then if no one buys you go home? And if someone does buy you notarize the documents, and submit an invoice for later payment?
For me that would be $100 cash to show up, then $100 an hour waiting time, and then whatever per notarization. Paid cash in hand when finished.

Reply by Notarysigner on 10/20/11 11:45am
Msg #401095

Re: Lewis Notary Services -Ditto

That is general notary work!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/20/11 2:16pm
Msg #401124

You've got the right idea! I was told that all he could pay was $100 for the two sessions, but I didn't think it was going to be the whole afternoon. This was very close to home, so I thought I'd be able to show up, notarize a couple of docs, spend maybe 30 minutes there, go have lunch and do some errands, then come back for the second session. I try to shoot for a $50 minimum for general notary work to travel to a client and I saw it in that light. Would have been worth it to pop in and leave, but unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.

BTW, that was on a Friday and I was also supposed to repeat that the next day. This was during a very slow time and for a total of $200 over a couple of days, I figured it was worth a try. Curiously, the 2nd day was suddenly cancelled shortly after I left the last session on Friday. (I never did bother to check with the hotel to see if that was really the case or if they just cancelled me, but I thought about it. Wink)

For the record, I was paid promptly by Lewis for the first day, as agreed.

Reply by bagger on 10/20/11 3:59pm
Msg #401134

Who is still buying timeshares?
Hell, if ya got one, ya can't sell it>

Reply by topflyt on 10/20/11 4:57pm
Msg #401140

No one buys timeshares anymore. They buy points and you use these points to take vacations to exotic destinations...like El Monte, CA.

Reply by Karla/OR on 10/21/11 1:56am
Msg #401192

Signed on the 8th, Received payment today - works for me!!!! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.