Notary Rotary
A first for me
Notary Discussion History

A first for me
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by ikando on 8/13/12 5:00pm
Msg #430340

A first for me

I regularly get calls for odd general notary work, but the call I just got was really different.

The gentleman wanted me to "certify" that he had printed off a webpage. But, he didn't want me to read the webpage.

I explained that he probably needed an attorney if he had a problem with something on that page.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/13/12 5:23pm
Msg #430342

Well, as far as I know, it's not up to us to "certify" anything in this regard. He needs to prepare a statement saying he printed such and such off a web page. Then you give him an oath (after he picks a jurat over an ack), in which he affirms that his written statement is true, and you notarize his signature. The content of the web page (and the content of his statement) are none of our concern. Still, wonder why he said he didn't want you reading it ....?

Reply by SharonMN on 8/13/12 6:09pm
Msg #430348

Yes, GoldGirl, that would work, but I'd probably ask what he is hoping to accomplish with the notarization, because I would bet that won't be accomplished by your notarizing a statement made by him. In most cases, they do need a lawyer or something else other than a notary.

My guess is that this guy is trying to document harrassment or slander or something like that.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/13/12 5:27pm
Msg #430344

Since we identify the signer and use a certificate to

indicate the signer appeared before me and signed the document, it would be up to the signer to create a statement of declaration and sign it.
I would use a Jurat, identify the signer, ask the signer is what he signed is true.
I would then complete the notarial wording with a Jurat.
The signer would certify before you that he/she printed off a webpage.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/13/12 6:38pm
Msg #430350

Re: Since we identify the signer and use a certificate to

Like GOLDGIRL/CA said, you would need to let him pick which type of notarization to use. We can carefully describe the differences so that a reasonably intelligent person can choose what would be most appropriate, but in California we're not allowed to make that decision, as that would be considered UPL.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.