Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Am I totally missing something, help.......
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by CentralNY on 8/28/12 10:51am
Msg #432226

I was following up on some items with a title co. (not in NYS) and we were talking about the biz in my area and she said NYS is an attorney state. To my best knowledge, it is not. As a paralegal I cannot prepare documents but paralegals and notaries have been closing loans for years in NYS. I close all kinds of transactions for NYS law firms and title companies as well as other states. Any insight.

Reply by dutchcloser on 8/28/12 12:47pm
Msg #432253

Re: They don't know what they are talking about! n/m

Reply by CentralNY on 8/28/12 1:50pm
Msg #432272

Re: They don't know what they are talking about!

I know. As long as we do anything under the supervision of an attorney/title company there is no problem. Out of state people misinterpreting. Jeesh.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/28/12 5:29pm
Msg #432294

NY is not an attorney-only state; what may have confused them is that in the NYC/Long Island/Westchester area, only an attorney can do a purchase closing. I think it's more custom than law, but it's been that way for as long as I can remember. As was explained to me when I questioned it, there's the metro-NYC area way of doing real estate, and then there's the way it's done in the other 49.5 states...

Reply by CentralNY on 8/28/12 5:39pm
Msg #432297

Mike would you tell that to the notary vendor at Title Source. Just crazy.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/28/12 7:01pm
Msg #432306

Unfortunately, when you say NY, a lot of people think NYC and don't even consider anything beyond the Hudson Valley. That's just the way real estate is done in that part of NY; never made any sense to me either while I was living there, and for my last 5 years there I was also a real estate agent...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.