Notary Rotary
An Observation...Boy am I gonna get it
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Wayne/TX on 8/26/12 6:59am
Msg #432055

Has anyone else noticed the websites, and folks trying to get us to pay them money are pretty much worthless? Check out my website. You don't need to just focus on Loan Docs to make money, there is so many more ways to keep the cash flowing, and you can even do it legally and you might even have fun! Talk to me Texas, we of all states should be above reproach. And we don't need all these National folks who don't know our laws trying to guide us! : )

Reply by HisHughness on 8/26/12 12:54pm
Msg #432073

Uh...Wayne

I probably need some clarification, because your website made me pee in my Depends.

First, of course, is that we Texas notaries -- though we quite obviously are closer to the Almighty than most public functionaires -- cannot join in Holy Matrimony. I'm assuming that your offer of marriage officiating stems from some sort of ordination, not your notary commission. If it is the latter, then you have sent some people off to live in sin, because it's for darned sure they aren't married.

Secondly, I hope you have simply poorly stated one of your services, "Notarization in all languages." In Texas, you may notarize a document that is in a language you don't understand, but the notary certification itself must be in a language you DO speak. Please tell me you haven't executed any certifications in Farsi or Tagalog, or, if you have, that you speak those languages.

I did have a couple of other reservations, but right now I have to run to the supermarket to pick up some more Depends. Reruns of "The Golden Girls" are coming up in just a little bit, and I always laugh so hard during those that I ... well, anyway, I have to go to the store now.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/26/12 2:05pm
Msg #432080

Universal Life Church, Hugh.

Other than that, agree with Brenda.

Reply by Jered Morgan on 8/29/12 11:17pm
Msg #432457

Re: Uh...Wayne

Well, he can notarize a common law marriage affidavit (http://people.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/People/Forms_and_Templates/Affidavit-CommonLawMarriage.pdf) -- but of course you can't suggest that to a potential client(possible UPL), it would have to be something the client already wanted notarized.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/30/12 12:39am
Msg #432460

Re: Uh...Wayne

In Texas, a common law marriage is actually called an "informal marriage." You can do it just by creating the circumstances of a common law marriage -- living together, copulating, etc. -- or by the affidavit.

It is rare that the typical notary would be confronted with such an affidavit, because they must be filed with the county clerk to validate the marriage, and the clerk supplies both the affidavit and the notaarization.

The informal marriage by affidavit is a handy procedure in many instances. My last wife and I wanted to be married in New York at the Statue of Liberty; try getting a Justice of the Peace out for that some time. So we wrote our vows, took the ferry out to the statue, recited our vows, had a German tourist take our picture, then came back to Austin and filed the informal marriage certificate.

Then we came home, where I slept on the sofa that night after suggesting that perhaps Alcatraz would have been a more appropriate venue for the marriage.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/26/12 1:34pm
Msg #432077

I can't figure out what you are asking for. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.