Notary Rotary
As long as I am not
Notary Discussion History

As long as I am not
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by F2F/FL on 8/18/12 10:24am
Msg #430930

As long as I am not

competing with others, I would like to ask another question.

Is it illegal to use my log book to use as a past "customer list"? To send out my card and a small letter stating that I met with them in the past etc. etc., and that I would like to remind them that I am still available to them when they need a notary.
Would that be unethicle to use their information like that, to promote my business? Their name and address is all I need.

Again your responses and time are very valuable to me, Thanks.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/18/12 11:54am
Msg #430937

I don't do this as a general rule for everyone, but if I make a new contact on a random call, such as with an attorney or other type of professional, especially if they happen to mention needing someone on a regular basis... then while I always leave my card, I usually follow-up on that with a handwritten thank you card in the mail.

I can tell you that has been the source of MANY new referrals for me, and I then like to occasionally send them another note (maybe every 6 months or so) thanking them for the referrals, etc. I only send those to the ones who actively refer though.

There's one particular office (let's call them a 'utility service') that has me come in every month to notarize documents for their board prior to meetings. Their office manager gives out my number left and right. She's also addicted to vanilla tootsie rolls... so each time I visit, she gets a small bag as a thank you.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/12 1:18pm
Msg #430946

I don't know about illegal, but it could be a

violation of GLBA. We don't usually contact borrowers for any other business ventures. If you leave them with your business card, that should be enough. BTW, IMO if the word ever got out that you were using borrowers as "leads" it could cost you a lot of business.

Reply by F2F/FL on 8/18/12 2:39pm
Msg #430955

Re: I don't know about illegal, but it could be a

Thank you again for your replies. MW/VA I appreciate your concern but I think you may have read a whole lot more into my intentions than what I was looking for. If the borrowers have already excepted my coming into their home, and expressing how they would concider using my services in the future then I don't see how that would be using them for leads, as it would be just pleasent customers service/advertising of my services for them or other family members or friends. But thank you for letting me know how you would feel about it.

Reply by Gina/VA on 8/18/12 2:44pm
Msg #430956

Re: I don't know about illegal, but it could be a

Just be mindful as many title companies and signing companies that I have worked with have included text somewhere in the instructions that we are not allowed to use closing assignments as an opportunity to generate new business. I do know of some that leave a business card with the borrowers. I have left cards only upon request from the borrowers.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/18/12 3:15pm
Msg #430960

@F2F: I'm really not sure how the public will look at receiving your advertising. Some may be okay with it and others will trash it like the rest of their advertising in the mail. It's basically a crap shoot. I, personally, would look at it objectively and think about how YOU would feel if the role was reversed - if you were to get advertising from someone you recently did business with. If you feel fine with that, then go for it!

I have always given a business card to the signer at GNW and NSA signings. In my mind it is a form of validation that I am who I say I am.

Reply by jnew on 8/18/12 5:24pm
Msg #430979

I would think it would be a good practice not to solicit a signer unless they were the requesting party for your services at the time they signed. One bad call to an existing customer by a disgruntled borrower may lead to the loss of many orders in exhange for the possibility of gaining one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.