Notary Rotary
Basic notary question
Notary Discussion History

Basic notary question
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by JoeyinGA on 8/6/12 11:34am
Msg #429487

Basic notary question

I think I know the answer but wanted to get other's opinions. I am getting my signature notarized today. The notary's commission expires today Aug 6, 2012. Is it still good to notarize my signature today? I would think so but the notary had some doubt. Just figured good place to ask for opinions. Thanks.

Reply by OR on 8/6/12 11:36am
Msg #429488

It expires at midnight today. So your fine.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/6/12 11:51am
Msg #429490

Well, sure... as long as the notary's commission is valid at the time the act occurs, then it's valid. If it expires today, then that means it is valid until 11:59pm today.

Now there are some international recipients of documents that will reject paperwork where the expiration of a commission occurs within a certain time-frame. This is mostly true with adoption paperwork. That doesn't mean that the notarization isn't valid, though.

Reply by JoeyinGA on 8/6/12 12:04pm
Msg #429493

ok thank you to both of you. Like I said it made perfect sense that it was good until the stroke of midnight but it didn't hurt to ask! Have a good day!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.