Notary Rotary
CA Notaries... Have a possible opportunity for you
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/12 2:10pm
Msg #431166

Hi guys, I'm not advertising anything here... I've got a possible opportunity for a handful of CA notaries, especially in some of the larger metro areas. If you're interested, feel free to contact me.

Here's the deal:

I was called by a corporation back east that has remote employees around the country. They are auditing their employee HR files and are finding that many of them need their I9 forms completed or updated. As many of us know, the I9 form isn't notarized, but companies like to hire notaries as an authorized agent to complete the process.

I've agreed to help them a little bit (I'm not getting anything out of it) and wanted to post this because they are looking for a list of CA commissioned notaries that are willing to act as an Authorized Agent for them in assisting their employees. There are NO notarizations required. They are looking for people to put on a list that they can give to their employees (current and future) that could assist. What you charge for this service would be up to you.

It's pretty straightforward work, and I've seen their package. The instructions are very clear.

They ask that you:

1. Fill out the i9 as their designated agent (NOT as a Notary)
2. Review the ID documents per the instructions.
3. make photocopies of the original IDs presented (or review the copies presented with the originals)
4. Read and sign the Agent Authorization letter. This is just a letter where you accept the one-time appointment each time you do it. Again, no notarizations are being done.
5. Attach your business card to the letter in #4 and return the forms to the employee.

That's it. Remember this is NOT notary work. There are no journal entries or anything. There is no guarantee of how often you'd get called for this. They just want to create a list of people who understand the process and would be available to assist their employees when the need comes up. They just want these people on the list to *be* notaries.

They are especially looking for people in metro areas.... both north and south. I would prefer that you already know how to fill out these forms already. However, it's not really complicated. Right now, they need people willing.

If you'd be interested in being on the list, let me know. I would prefer that I give them names of people that I'm familiar with, especially here at NotRot. Rather than call some of you individually, I thought I'd post this here first.

The company's HR manager is considering making a trip out to CA to meet with the people on the list to go over the process or making individual phone calls to each person. I think they're still working it out.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/20/12 3:03pm
Msg #431176

Thank you Marian-to busy to consider taking on this project. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/12 3:17pm
Msg #431180

Re: Thank you Marian-to busy to consider taking on this project.

NO problem at all. I'm getting a wonderful response. I don't think this will end up in a LOT of work for any one person, but it would depend on where their employees are. Also, I believe that this is a pilot project they are doing in California, and they might ultimately need to do this with all of their reps across the country. For now, it's just California.

This is a Pharmaceutical company from Pennsylvania. Right now, I'm just compiling a list if contact information and will send it to their HR Coordinator. From there, I believe that they will be contacting everyone individually.

BTW... if people are interested, please be sure to send me:

First and Last Name
Email address
Phone Number
Areas Served

That will help me as I'm building the list.

Once my list gets to about 20-30 names or I get all of the areas covered, I'll close this out.

Reply by sueharke on 8/20/12 3:12pm
Msg #431179

Please clarify on step
4. Read and sign the Agent Authorization letter. This is just a letter where you accept the one-time appointment each time you do it. Again, no notarizations are being done.
5. Attach your business card to the letter in #4 and return the forms to the employee.

Does the notary attach the business card to the agent authorization and send it to the corporation? Does the notary attach the business card to the forms given to the employee?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/12 3:19pm
Msg #431181

I would think the Agent Authorization letter is signed

by the employer and retained in the notary's file.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/12 3:23pm
Msg #431183

Re: I would think the Agent Authorization letter is signed

It is signed by both the employer and the agent. One copy is kept in the employees file, and I always keep a copy for myself.

This particular company is using one that looks much like this one: http://www.highdesertnotary.com/forms/I-9%20AGENT%20AUTHORIZATION.pdf

It's on their letterhead, though, and signed by their HR manager.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/12 3:26pm
Msg #431185

okay...makes sense.. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/12 3:21pm
Msg #431182

The business card is attached to the "Agent Authorization Letter" that you sign and then give it back to the employee. The employee is responsible for mailing everything back to the employer.

I would suggest that if you do this, you keep a copy of the authorization letter for you records. That's what I do when I handle I9 forms. That way, you have a written record that they hired you.

BTW... the letter they're using is based off of the example I have posted on my website, if you want to see it:

http://www.highdesertnotary.com/forms/I-9%20AGENT%20AUTHORIZATION.pdf

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/20/12 5:11pm
Msg #431200

Still need some from the following areas...

Thank you everyone for the response so far. You're all awesome.

If possible, I'm really interested, now, in people from the following general areas... just so I can give them a decent coverage of the state.

-Bakersfield, Fresno (that whole Central Valley area)

-Stockton, Modesto

- San Fransisco to San Jose (the southeastern area of the bay)

- Ventura county (including Simi)

- Palm Springs/Palm Desert

Thanks again!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.