Notary Rotary
Can anyone help?
Notary Discussion History

Can anyone help?
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 8/22/12 2:55pm
Msg #431481

Can anyone help?

I've been having some computer problems and have most of them solved. The one problem I can't seem to fix is my google has been hacked. When I google something, it directs me to something totally different. I've run 2 spyware programs and it has not fixed it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Reply by CH2inCA on 8/22/12 3:04pm
Msg #431482

I had the same problem, and I ran Microsoft Essentials. Worked for me.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/22/12 3:06pm
Msg #431483

I'll give it a try thanks

Reply by RickG/CA on 8/22/12 3:20pm
Msg #431487

I also run MS Essentials full scan daily, and once a month or so I run malawarebytes.

good luck

Reply by Jered Morgan on 8/22/12 11:27pm
Msg #431603

I double RickG's comment. MS essentials and malwarebytes. If that doesn't work, you can save anything you've done in the past couple days to a flash drive, and use windows restore point to the day before it started giving you issues, then pop the files you saved from the flash drive back on.

Reply by sueharke on 8/22/12 4:53pm
Msg #431503

If MS Essentials does not solve the problem then you may have an issue that requires professional virus, trojans, malware removal. If that is the case, take it to a computer shop for service.

Reply by Clem/CA on 8/22/12 4:56pm
Msg #431504

you may have what is called a root kit (virus that is loaded before windows). You can get a free removal tool here

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AVG-Anti-Rootkit.shtml

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/22/12 6:33pm
Msg #431518

It may be due to a rogue BHO (Browser Helper Object). BHOs are usually legitimate pieces of code that piggyback on your browser - like an additional toolbar, for instance - but the nasty ones can redirect your internet activity, which sounds like what you're experiencing.

If Microsoft Essentials and the other malware products suggested don't work for you, there is a free product called HijackThis!, which is specifically designed to identify and remove bad BHOs. You can find more info about it at http://www.pchell.com/support/hijackthistutorial.shtml

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/23/12 1:30am
Msg #431609

2 1/2 hrs later I am back online

I had the win 64 sirefef y virus. It hijacks google and shuts down your computer every minute or so. Wouldn't stay connected long enough to do anything. What a pita this has been. Happened very sudden.

Reply by RickG/CA on 8/23/12 7:29am
Msg #431617

Re: good to hear, what'd you use? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.