Notary Rotary
Checking my thought process . . .
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 8/4/12 1:40am
Msg #429311

Scenario: I arrive at a signing to find only renters and no BO.
I determine from the renters that the BO lives in the next state over!!!!!
(There were specific instructions from the SS to NOT contact the BO before the scheduled appointment.)
I call the SS who okays me to leave and agrees to pay 1/2 of my $XXX fee for travel and print.

Question: I would NOT post these details and fees paid in my journal, CORRECT?

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/4/12 1:49am
Msg #429312

Correct. Journals are for notarizations---of which you did none.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/4/12 7:30am
Msg #429318

Now check the other thought process: not calling the BO in advance. As you have seen, this is not a good practice. None of us need the additional wear and tear on our printers, paper supplies, cars, nerves, etc. Insist upon calling prior to printing as there may be special directions needed, etc. Usually they don't want you to call the BO prior to the LO going over the docs with the BO - valid point. But yours is equally valid.

Just in the past month I would have had to change my travel plans to go to Alaska and to Miami and to NJ to comply with such wishes as people dropped the ball somewhere along the line and didn't discover where the BOs actually were at the time of scheduling. I do not want to be offered print fees - they are harder to collect than the full fee job. My last print fee took over 6 mo. to collect....and way more time than I wanted to spend trying to get what is owed me....constantly explaining myself, etc. Boring for sure.

In one word: insist.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/4/12 8:32am
Msg #429327

True that, too, jba/fl n/m

Reply by ToniK on 8/4/12 10:45am
Msg #429341

I had an appt scheduled and I get there only to find out the BO took a trip to New York that day. I showed up and knocked and rang doorbell then called his number and he said "Oh yea I drove to NY can we reschedule the appt?" I was shocked...really??? Thanks for the heads up.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/4/12 9:21am
Msg #429331

I don't go to any appt. I haven't confirmed & won't

work for that co. that tells notaries not to. Also, IMO they should be billed a full fee for situations like this. They're the one's insisting on taking the risk & should bear the cost.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/4/12 10:19am
Msg #429337

Karla, I think they owe you full fee

I did one of those "no call to confirm" deals recently but with written agreement from SS that I would be paid in full for no show or incorrect address. Fortunately the borrowers were there and well prepared.
Is this the one where you drove 1 1/2 hours? So print fee hopefully $25 plus $$ that you were able to squeeze out of them for travel. Did you at least break even? hope so.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/4/12 11:26am
Msg #429350

Thanks Lee. Glad we are on the same "page."

You are right Donna, this is the one I traveled 1.5 hours each way. :O(

I so appreciate that this SS is not a slacker fee and pay wise.They have their policies and reasons for it. They immediately brought up the trip/print fee before I had a chance to and paid what I asked for.

I appreciate ALL your comments. I am re-thinking my strategy/policy: Request confirmation of full fee when they will not confirm.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/4/12 6:24pm
Msg #429367

If hiring party will not allow you to confirm the appointment, I keep those local. Too much risk is involved with those when significant travel is involved.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.