Notary Rotary
Color laser printer
Notary Discussion History

Color laser printer
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Howard Howell on 8/6/12 1:19pm
Msg #429502

Color laser printer

I am just becoming a notary and am buying a laser printer, any notorial reason to have it a color printer or have a duplex feature?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/6/12 1:20pm
Msg #429504

Nope and nope...B/W Laser will do...dual tray nice but

not mandatory.

JMO

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 8/6/12 1:21pm
Msg #429505

Not unless you want to spend money for features

you will never have need for in this business.

Reply by reba on 8/6/12 1:24pm
Msg #429506

IMO color is NOT a necessity. I personally have never needed to print in color. Maintaining color ink can also be very expensive. A black and white laser printer with dual trays (for letter & legal) are ideal.

Reply by TnSparky on 8/6/12 1:30pm
Msg #429510

Color is definitely not required. Dual tray is extremely convenient; check out an HP 2055 with dual tray. Good luck!

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 1:42pm
Msg #429517

Color laser printer most likely a waste...you can't

necessarily print quality photos, so even if you used it in that capacity, IMO, it would be a waste of expense to invest in.

Make your life easier (by leaps, bound's and by FAR) and invest in a dual tray printer. And, IMO, if you plan on making this a full time biz, you may want to, at some point-not right away, you should get established first, which is a whole other topic-invest in MORE than one printer.

I have four lasers (for everyday use), plus one in my car and at least one backup, in addition to an all in one inkjet. If you're going to have one or two, make sure you ALWAYS have a backup toner cartridge. It'll be a costly mistake otherwise.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/6/12 1:50pm
Msg #429518

Here, here, and amen to a dual trya laser printer, specifically the HP 2055. Howard, I believe a word you wanted was "notarial." rather than "notorial" (too much like "notorious.")

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/6/12 1:58pm
Msg #429520

Correcting myself....... "tray" not "trya" n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/6/12 1:53pm
Msg #429519

I have two laser printers that I use a lot --- and for two different businesses. I have a color laser that handles duplexing for my other business. For notary work? Nope... I use the dual tray monochrome. It happens that my monochrome will also duplex, but that's just a bonus. I rarely use it on that printer. If I'm duplexing, it's usually for the color.

THe color printer is WAY more expensive to run because of the multiple cartridges.

Put your money in the dual tray option, you'll need that.

Reply by Aredubb/CA on 8/6/12 2:10pm
Msg #429521

You might need a color laser printer if you were producing your own brochures or business cards to give to prospective customers or clients. But you have to ask yourself whether that investment is worth it compared to outsourcing the jobs to a professional print shop. How many times would you use the color? If you have other reasons in your life to use it, then it's your decision. But I agree with every previous responder, monotone is all you'll ever need in this business.

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 2:40pm
Msg #429526

As I mentioned below, we have no right to print peoples

confidential information in public venues. Before doing so, please ask the hiring entity if it's okay to subject the public to it; but most importantly ask the borrower if they mind. Maybe they would rather you print from their house.

If you don't have the tools for the job then you shouldn't be doing it!!! And that's the way I feel about it!!! Yup, I am very passionate about this topic and, in case ya can't tell, quite opinionated about it.

But I find it deceptive to allow access to someone's private info without the knowledge of that person. The borrower has the right to know because if their identity gets stolen, at least they'll have an idea of how it could have happened.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.